m-tech 1 daily driver:) project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m-tech 1 daily driver:) project!

Just about done with my m-technic, just have to fix a few things on the rear valance and one side skirt.
    So here is the story. About a year or so ago, I was looking for a euro 323i that could become an m-tech 1 project. Have always wanted one, and figured this would be a good time to start a build. I found the 323i over in Portland, Oregon, but it turned out to be a hartge h26. There was really no reason to take that car apart and make an m-tech out of it...
    Fast forward about a year or so and the hartge is just about done, but not really good as a dd.
    During this time I had a subaru that I sold and then bought this 87 325 that would become the m-tech. Sad to say, the early pictures were lost when my camera went down... The car is an 87 with a very nice tan interior, IE stage 3 spings, bilsteins, some type of strut brace in the front, and pretty clean body.
    So that takes us up to about 3 months ago.
    M-technic information: What I learned, that most of you know, but maybe the new people would like to know:)
    First, the kit is going to cost you about 1500-2000. The lower end kits will most likely have tons of rust on the bumpers ant will need to be repaired. I was lucky, because my front and back valances were almost perfect, bumpers were bad and side skirts were ok
    Second, kits will come from England and Germany for the most part. The shipping out of England has become a problem for some reason; not sure if anyone else has had problems.
    Be sure to get good pictures and check the seller's previous business transactions. If you send money, and no kit shows up you are out some serious money. Do not send as a gift through paypal!
    Third, you will spend at least 100-200 more on the kit fixing things and getting all the extra parts that you will need to put it on your car. Get bolts and screw from the local hardware store; not BMW. Well, if you are making a show car, then go to BMW:)
    Forth, putting it on a usa car is not a simple matter...read and check all the information you can get a hold of on this forum on how to mount the kit. For example, you will be cutting the front valance up in order to get the front spoiler on. The fog lights will be in the way and they need a larger opening to fix correctly.
    Long range goal is to put an m30/b35 engine from a 90-92 e34 in this car:)
    Now to the m-tech 1:)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 2002jm; 04-08-2016, 02:14 PM.

more information

I had the car for about a week when I put a euro cluster in it and the m-tech steering wheel. Made a big difference in the look. Was able to find some mats that look decent, and I changed the overhead obc to euro. I am looking for the 6 button euro face plate, but have not found one yet....Decided to do some cleaning of the engine bay and replaced a few items that were worn out and dirty.
    Next came the wheels:)
    Attached Files

Comment

euro weaves

I was able to get a really good deal on a set of 5 euroweaves. They were in much better condition than the pictures showed. So I just cleaned them up a bit and put some 225/50/15 tires on. Really made a huge difference in the look of the car.
      This picture shows the m-tech kit on the car, but that is ok:)
      Attached Files

Comment

wheels

more pictures of wheels
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice, we need some overall pics of the car now!
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

We have nearly identical cars. This gives me a good idea of how mine will look. I'm going with the other style side skirts though. I noticed you didn't trim the passenger side bumper trim in the pic. I thought that was necessary to fit the M tech spoiler?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
              Nice, we need some overall pics of the car now!
              Yes, will get those out soon. Going to show a bit more of the build and then the final results:)
              jm

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                We have nearly identical cars. This gives me a good idea of how mine will look. I'm going with the other style side skirts though. I noticed you didn't trim the passenger side bumper trim in the pic. I thought that was necessary to fit the M tech spoiler?
                Good eye on the trim. The picture is an early test fit. You do need to trim the side trim for it to fit. If you don't it just sticks out and does not tighten down right. I was thinking about leaving it, because I was going to get some chrome euro bumpers. But now I might just go with having the m-tech bumpers chromed....at least look into the cost vrs getting euro bumpers.
                jm

Comment

But you already have chrome euro bumpers? M tech bumpers are painted.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

:)

Well, if you look close you will see they are painted chrome:). I just could not do the white, because the paint does not match that close, so it does not look very good with the white, clean paint right up against the old white faded paint on the front and back. That is why I was looking into getting chrome euro bumpers...but the cost is crazy right now.
                    jm

Comment

ahhhhh I see now. Yeah, I'm leaving mine chrome as it matches the trim on the rest of the car. The bodycolor bumper makes sense if you shadowline the car.

Comment

:)

Yes, I really want chrome bumpers!!! Look really nice against the white.
                        The next step was to put the euro headlights in. That was easier than I thought, and the city lights are so nice! Of course my picture shows the front spoiler being test fitted :) I tried the h23 hartge wheels for a week, but found the euroweaves really look better on the m-tech...and I believe are the correct wheels for the car.
                        The euro lights really change the look of the front...now it was time to fit some of the m-tech 1 kit on....lots of fun:)
                        jm
                        Attached Files

Comment

current pictures

So now I did a test fit of everything, and the rear valance has to come back off. It is sitting about 1/2 inch too low. Have to adjust the brackets.
                          My new favorite picture of the hartge and m-tech also:)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Love it!! Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Mr. Wolfe
                            sigpic

Comment

thanks

Will be pulling the rear valance off this week, so there will be lots of pictures:)
                              So far the hardest part was measuring the holes for the side skirts:). But with my wife's help we got it done:)
                              I did find that I needed to put the rear part of the skirt on first, snap it into place and then the front, and then the middle. Not sure if that is just with my car, but it would not work when you put the front on first:)
                              jm

Comment

Working...
                              X