The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome, thanks Matt and Austin!

And Staszek I wish I were going S54! At this point I might as well haha.

If your hard lines are M8 and you need the iX hard line I have plenty to go around. I may steal the line from the iX anyway if it has the proper bends and whatnot. Just wondering if it's also a different ABS unit.

And kid8, any 24v E30 swap requires a smaller brake booster to clear the intake manifold. The sacrifice with many smaller boosters is a loss in power assist. Porsche 944 booster is a very common one to use, but the iX booster is the best "OEM" choice. There is a lot of varying information out there in regards to how it works best and the best way to install it. You can also redrill your firewall to move your stock booster over towards the fuse box and modify the stock brake clevis but it's not as clean as a proper iX or 944 booster swap.

S54 swaps require an even smaller (2002 or porsche 924) booster, unless you get your airbox modified to fit with the slightly better 944 booster.
    Last edited by AWDBOB; 01-06-2018, 10:10 PM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say master cylinder on the ix, it definitely looks smaller than a rwd master cylinder. I have a 944 booster on my swap currently I believe. I was never impressed with it and spent way too much time trying to make it work.

Keep it up man, really enjoying your build!

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
        Sorry, I meant to say master cylinder on the ix, it definitely looks smaller than a rwd master cylinder. I have a 944 booster on my swap currently I believe. I was never impressed with it and spent way too much time trying to make it work.

Keep it up man, really enjoying your build!
        Just reread your post my bad haha. The iX master has a different stud size I believe!

And thanks man, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with it. Working on the potential of getting an M20 in it over winter and putting the 24v on hold for a little while.

Comment

Long time no update! I have been working quite a bit on the iX parts cars, but finally took a night to work on the iS.

I got done a few things that I've been meaning to do for a long time, along with one major development in the build.

I first addressed the rear end. My differential pigtail was deteriorated, so I spliced in a new one. I also filled the diff with Redline and installed my fresh speed sensor.

No bueno:

Bueno:

Something I've been putting off for a long time: wiring up my ellipsoids.

Now for the bigger update. I visited mjweimer over the weekend and got to see his wonderful aluminum 24v build, and we also did some trading. In order to actually enjoy my car, I brought home Matt's 140K M20b25 to install in my car and finally get it on the road to enjoy during this upcoming season. My car was auto when I bought it, so I also have to convert the car over to manual when I drop the M20 in.

I cannot install the engine right away because I have yet to spray the engine bay (Indiana is cold as of late), so I'm going to reseal the M20 while I wait for warmth and get everything ready to drop in. I have a very limited budget for the M20 and still need an exhaust among other things, so I am going to try my hardest to not go crazy with mods.

24v is still the long term plan, but I think with the complete suspension overhaul I've done to the car, the M20 will be a lot of fun. I have half the mind to sell the 24v stuff and do a simple 2.8L M20 build with a mild cam, but don't want to lose money on what I just purchased 24v-wise, so I think I'll stick with it and hopefully finish when time and money allow.

That's all for now, folks.

Comment

Always good to spend some time with a fellow E30 enthusiast and glad the M20 went to a good home.

Looks like you did not have any trouble getting the engine out of the car - perfect!

Your timing for the re-seal and 5MT conversion should work out well with our Indiana weather and hope you get an early warm day to spray the engine bay. Give me a shout if you need anything.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
              Always good to spend some time with a fellow E30 enthusiast and glad the M20 went to a good home.
              Looks like you did not have any trouble getting the engine out of the car - perfect!
              Your timing for the re-seal and 5MT conversion should work out well with our Indiana weather and hope you get an early warm day to spray the engine bay. Give me a shout if you need anything.
              Absolutely! I'm looking forward to her maiden voyage. Now if I can resist throwing a cam and long tubes on it things will progress a bit quicker.

Let's hope, seems like the weather broke this week. I've never been so thankful for 30* temps.

Comment

Officially simplifying things because I don't have the time to finish this car the way I want it to in 24v trim. I'm excited to build a clean, simple and efficient M20 car.

24v Parts:

Comment

Nice to see another engine coming out of that Forrester! Think you made the right choice get it on the road and enjoy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

betz' build thread has some excellent built m20 inspiration and seriously has me thinking about a built m20 over a 24v swap...maybe one day...
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                      Nice to see another engine coming out of that Forrester! Think you made the right choice get it on the road and enjoy
                      The Forester is the ultimate engine hauler :) well.... maybe not ultimate, but it works! Yes, I have been overwhelmed with a sense of relief after beginning to sell off my 24v stuff. It wasn't meant to be.

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                      betz' build thread has some excellent built m20 inspiration and seriously has me thinking about a built m20 over a 24v swap...maybe one day...
                      Funny you say that. I happen to have a 2.8L crank, 130mm rods and short skirt m20 pistons hanging out in the garage! I doubt I'll end up going the stroker route as it'll quickly add up $ (and I want simple), but I have a great, affordable local BMW machine shop that I'm going to call and see what he thinks about it.

I have since purchased a Schrick 284/272 on the cheap from Turner. Trying to avoid a full head 'build', but a simple refresh is in order with HD rockers/springs.

Comment

Developments:

Comment

Very nice, Bob!
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                            Very nice, Bob!
                            Thanks man! Hopefully burnouts will happen after winter. No more 24v has me feelin' chipper.

Comment

Did you have to jump the two relay pins to get your high beam switch to not shut off your low beams when you swapped to ellipsoids? When I flash my highs, my lows turn off, cant have em both on at once.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                                Did you have to jump the two relay pins to get your high beam switch to not shut off your low beams when you swapped to ellipsoids? When I flash my highs, my lows turn off, cant have em both on at once.
                                Well, I haven't tested anything yet. That may be the case when I finally get things rolling (although I hope not).

Comment

Working...
                                X