No announcement yet.

88' 325is daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thing has been giving me fucking fits. It's cold as hell and there is 12 inches of snow on the ground so it's as pain in the ass to work on it.

It's making an clunking sound when driving. A sound you would think is the center support bearing. So I changed it.

No change in sound.

So I thought, he must be the flex disc, so I changed that out.

No change in sound.

So I thought, must be the rear diff bushing (which was trashed) so I changed that out.

Sounds a little better, but still making the annoying sound.

But it's cold as balls here and it won't warm up.

I put a new t-stat in, and bleed the system. Now the car keeps dying unless it's being jumped. So I am trickle charging the battery.

Oh, and the fuel line to the FPR is all cracked and leaking fuel.

It's just one thing after another with this damn thing now.

End rant.

Comment

Man, working in the cold absolutely SUCKS. I have three cars that have piles of parts sitting next to them and I last a couple of hours before I reroute my advance auto trips to the beer distributor.

All of my rear clunking issues have been subframe bushings, in e30s and e34s. Does it clunk if you mat it? I'm sure they're not high on your list to change either (reference part about being cold out). Or is it more of a consistent clunk? Clunk in reference to speed?

In other news, your daily is dope, and I'm jelly you have a running/driving (kind of) e30.

I can't sit in my iS anymore because it's filled with coilovers, swaybars, a top end, a full set of bushings, control arms, a lip, body seals, etc, all of which should be on the vehicle but are instead inside it (a nice compromise).
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        Man, working in the cold absolutely SUCKS. I have three cars that have piles of parts sitting next to them and I last a couple of hours before I reroute my advance auto trips to the beer distributor.

All of my rear clunking issues have been subframe bushings, in e30s and e34s. Does it clunk if you mat it? I'm sure they're not high on your list to change either (reference part about being cold out). Or is it more of a consistent clunk? Clunk in reference to speed?

In other news, your daily is dope, and I'm jelly you have a running/driving (kind of) e30.

I can't sit in my iS anymore because it's filled with coilovers, swaybars, a top end, a full set of bushings, control arms, a lip, body seals, etc, all of which should be on the vehicle but are instead inside it (a nice compromise).

I wish my other car was done, but my time is spent on the daily right now haha I can't wait to get the s52 going.

As far as the sound goes I'll try and describe it the best I can. It's not a load sound like I thought the rear sub frame bushings made when they went bad (clunk on acceleration, clunk on negative acceleration).

Its a thumping noise, almost like there is a string with a rock attached to the drive shaft and when you accelerate the rock hits the tranny tunnel. It really sounds like a center support bearing. But it can't be. It was replaced right before I got the car by a shop, then I replaced it not knowing it had been replaced.

It only happens when the engine is at about 2,000 or greater RPMs, but in any gear. Doesn't happen in neutral.

Comment

Working...
        X