New to me 29k mile E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me 29k mile E30

Just acquired a 29k mile, two owner, full service history 1990 E30 convertible.

In reviewing the history I see lots of oil changes, brake flushes, coolant flushes, timing belt. Shocks and struts were done 7k miles ago, front control arm bushings in 08, at 24k miles, rear stabilizer links at 26k 4 years ago. A/C was converted to R134a in 2014.

What I don't see is rear diff oil, manual tranny oil, air filter, spark plugs or brakes. Car drives great, what would you tackle first?

Well, if it's been sitting, as I suspect a 29k mile car was, I'd change the timing belt, vital fluids and do a complete inspection of the car to determine what else needs doing. A low mileage car like that one may not ever have had brake soft lines done, so consider that as well.

Comment

Awesome find! Like above, I'd recommend all fluids (including a brake/clutch flush, as the fluid is hydroscopic and will have absorbed moisture), brake soft lines, coolant hoses should be inspected, untouched rubber bushings are poetically hard and should be replaced, and the aforementioned inspection to see what else. The tires would be something in particular to check. She is just as important as condition; after 5 or 6 years, the rubber gets hard and the tires are less effective/safe. There will be a date code on the sidewall.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Congrats on talking the seller into parting with it.

Completely agreed on the above. When I bought my red 325is, it had a supposedly ~2 year old timing belt. I know that the PO paid for it to be done, but I have real doubts that it was. Do the TB, and do a 100% fluid change. I'd also inspect the fuel soft lines.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Car was driven about 1,000 miles per year, based on service records. Timing belt was done in 2012. Car was stored covered in a/C storage unit.

Comment

If the tires are original, save them, don't drive on them. For some reason, collectors like original tires.
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mjposner View Post
              Car was driven about 1,000 miles per year, based on service records. Timing belt was done in 2012. Car was stored covered in a/C storage unit.
              Timing belt should be done. Even though it's well under the mileage requirement, the age requirement is coming up. You should replace the water pump at the same time, since the rule of thumb is every other timing belt. That sounds like ideal storage conditions overall though!
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

4 years on a timing belt? That's not bad, most are meant to last 100-120k miles, or 10-12 years (thought the service record may indicate a 15-20% reduction, for safety)

Comment

"4 years on a timing belt? That's not bad, most are meant to last 100-120k miles, or 10-12 years (thought the service record may indicate a 15-20% reduction, for safety)"

I believe that is incorrect. I was always told 6 years or 60k miles.

Also this: Timing Belt, Tensioner Pulley, and Front Cam Seal
                  Replace every 5 years or 50,000 miles on vehicles so equipped, water pump replacement
                  also recommended as preventative attendant service, but not required, 40,000 miles or
                  four years on the E30 325iX (1988-1991) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JUwgTwO12VmuEA

Comment

Otto says Timing Belt (4yr/60K) – 6-cylinder only

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...r8SGqY6zww7r2A

Comment

Yeah, you're thinking of the interval in more modern cars like your subaru, Jesse. For whatever reason, timing belts for cars in the 80s just don't last that long. The interval for the Porsche 944 is the same way.

Comment

Yes but modern belts have a longer rating than the ones produced in the 80's, especially if a good quality belt was used. I regularly see e30s running on modern timing belts over 100k miles. Of course I wouldn't recommend that, but 4 years and 24k miles on a modern belt? Especially on a car that was garage kept, obviously not a track-rat, and was kept in this condition? I wouldn't be worried.

Look, suggested changing intervals and actual belt life are not always coincidental. That mark is meant to apply to a wide variety of driving conditions, variables, and locations. Your car was kept in a garage, in humid miami, and was driven enough to keep everything rounded, but hasn't been driven to the limits of the parts used. The belt should be good for another 2 years/30k miles at least, realistically.

Gates suggests 50-60k/6yr for their standard timing belt, and their blue belt can last even longer

Comment

FWIW there is little to no difference in the manufacturing or materials used between a belt made for a subaru and a belt made for an e30. The biggest fault I've found with the older cars is the tensioner.

Comment

Ah, that's interesting.

Comment

I agree with the maintenance items above.

If there is any doubt on the timing belt, change it - it's cheap insurance at this point - although squid makes some really good points. It would be awful to ruin that 29K engine because you skimped on a belt. Likely it would hold, but why risk it. Make sure you do the tensioner as well.

When I got my E30, it was still well below the mileage threshold of changing, but was on the older side. That said, I drove it a bit conservatively until I did change it. I did do it about 10K km early, just to be sure.
                              Estoguy
                              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                              X