E34 M5 Clutch with E36 M3 Pressure plate
    E36 M3 Driveshaft
    Custom Exhaust: Single 2.5" with Borla Pro XS and Vibrant rear muffler
    Z3 S54 Radiator
    Spal 30102048

Brakes
    Xi booster mounted to firewall
    E36 Master cylinder with 2002 remote resivour
    E36 325/328 front brakes (5 lug sleeve adapter)
    318ti rear brakes
    Ireland Stainless lines

Suspension
    H&R Race
    Bilstein Sport
    AKG FCAB
    Condor RTAB
    Ireland Subframe bushing 80A
    Stock Spring hats and strut mounts
    New front control arms

Steering
    Z3 Steering Rack
    S52 power steering
    Momo wheel

Shifter
    E36 M3 UUC Evo3 with DSSR
    Condor tall shift knob
    M rain shift/handbrake boots from 3m shift boots

Future Plans
    3.23 3 Clutch Diff
    Direzza ZII star spec (bought, need more style 5s)
    Koni DA shocks with GC springs and camber plates
    Custom front 5 lug with Z4/custom rear 5 lug
    Air Conditioning
    MK60 ABS
    Paint?

-----------------

Bought this Alpine White II 1989 325is in summer 2014.
    I'm the third owner.

Early Pics

Pretty great condition for the price:
    Unknown mileage M20 and auto trans shift into second wasn't great.
    Blown shocks
    Bad brakes, drivers rear caliper seized
    Pretty much perfect interior
    Good paint, a few chips

5 lug conversion
    Style 5 16x8

M20 Out

S52 In

Just an intro for now car is running great and is amazing to drive.

More recent pictures

Last edited by HertE30; 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM.

dope!
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I've been exploring the possibilities of a 5 lug swap that doesn't significantly alter the offset in the front.

The hub adapter kits on the market today have an offest increase of 12-14.5 mm per side.
      The reason for this that newer 3 series rotors have a higher width from the wheel face to the back of the rotor
      E30 front rotor has an width of 35mm
      E36 rotor width is 51.6mm

So going with a different type of 5 lug conversion requires a different rotor setup.

Putting some of the necessary parts into solidworks.

E30 Spindle

E36/E46 Wheel bearing/hub assembly

Comment

Interested to see what you come up with... I have been messing with a weld-on sleeve design in solidworks, it adds 10mm of offset IIRC but I am running e46 m3 rotors, and you start to run into clearance issues on the backside if you don't add offset. I have some prototype pieces in my garage that we machined a few months back, but I blew up my track car at Road Atlanta and I haven't messed with the 5 lug stuff since then. I am currently running a NASIEG 5 lug sleeve setup and have spares if you want to check that stuff out... Do you have the Max399 kit?
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          Interested to see what you come up with... I have been messing with a weld-on sleeve design in solidworks, it adds 10mm of offset IIRC but I am running e46 m3 rotors, and you start to run into clearance issues on the backside if you don't add offset. I have some prototype pieces in my garage that we machined a few months back, but I blew up my track car at Road Atlanta and I haven't messed with the 5 lug stuff since then. I am currently running a NASIEG 5 lug sleeve setup and have spares if you want to check that stuff out... Do you have the Max399 kit?
          Yeah I have the Max399 kit. I've read your thread, thought your sleeve design was very interesting, would definitely be interested to see what you have come up with and been running.

My main issue with the Max399 kit is the ABS issue, the adapter pushes the ABS ring completely away of the sensor. The NASIEG looks better in that regard, but I'm definitely looking at a weld on solution that permanently converts the spindle to E36 dimensions.

My basic idea for the brakes is to run a 2pc rotor set up wilwood rotor and a custom rotor hat so that the overall rotor width is up to my design.

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
            Yeah I have the Max399 kit. I've read your thread, thought your sleeve design was very interesting, would definitely be interested to see what you have come up with and been running.

My main issue with the Max399 kit is the ABS issue, the adapter pushes the ABS ring completely away of the sensor. The NASIEG looks better in that regard, but I'm definitely looking at a weld on solution that permanently converts the spindle to E36 dimensions.

My basic idea for the brakes is to run a 2pc rotor set up wilwood rotor and a custom rotor hat so that the overall rotor width is up to my design.
            Yeah I was surprised that I hadn't heard anything about ABS issues with these kits, kind of a big deal not having it, in my opinion. I'm currently running modified sensors (milled shafts), which isn't ideal, but it definitely works.

I've looked into making hats multiple times. It's definitely the best solution to the fitment issue, but there is a lot going on with hats and I don't have much experience designing/manufacturing parts with fits that need to work over such a large heat range, so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger... Especially on a race car. For a street car there definitely isn't as much to worry about with heat.

What part of town are you in?
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Yeah I was surprised that I hadn't heard anything about ABS issues with these kits, kind of a big deal not having it, in my opinion. I'm currently running modified sensors (milled shafts), which isn't ideal, but it definitely works.

I've looked into making hats multiple times. It's definitely the best solution to the fitment issue, but there is a lot going on with hats and I don't have much experience designing/manufacturing parts with fits that need to work over such a large heat range, so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger... Especially on a race car. For a street car there definitely isn't as much to worry about with heat.

What part of town are you in?
              I've been looking at the hats that wilwood sells as a general template, they seem pretty simple for the most part and I assume they hold up well in racing conditions.

I'll try to do some thermal simulation when I get a chance, be interesting to see how that turns out. I'll start in solidworks but also have access to some other software that I can try to learn as I go along.

I'm in midtown

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
                I've been looking at the hats that wilwood sells as a general template, they seem pretty simple for the most part and I assume they hold up well in racing conditions.

I'll try to do some thermal simulation when I get a chance, be interesting to see how that turns out. I'll start in solidworks but also have access to some other software that I can try to learn as I go along.

I'm in midtown
                Wilwood is kind of on the entry level side of things, completely fine for a street car but a bit rudimentary compared to some of the more motorsports oriented options out there. I would want to use PFC rings on my car-

I have Direct Drive V2's on my car now, but they are discontinued and it's now impossible to find replacement rings. Here is a picture of the mounting design though- pretty interesting

Not trying to be "that guy," for sure... But I do have some experience with Wilwood stuff and a decent amount with motorsports stuff, and this is just my opinion based on that. Again, for a street car the Wilwood stuff is completely fine.
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Yeah the wilwood doesn't have any real feature that allows the rotor to float, which is half the appeal of a 2pc rotor setup.

For my purposes of putting together a Street/Auto-x type 'kit' a simpler setup like the wilwood would work. Price is obviously a consideration too. Something motorsports level would have to be pretty drastically different to get the floating aspect.

That snap ring PFC is pretty crazy, not much holding it but I see how it works well.

Comment

Z4 hub and E46 325/328 rear brakes seems like the best rear 5-lug setup out there to me.

E46 Rotor into solidworks to help with future caliper bracket design.
                    Ate online catalog has all the critical dimensions for rotors which is nice.

Comment

And update on the front 5 lug

Wilwood Forged Dynapro 6A rough model
                      5 mm increased offset vs standard E30
                      20mm of caliper clearance required

Hub adapter without threads.
                      Threaded on the inside for the E30 spindle, outside for the E36 collar nut.
                      Would weld to the base of the spindle on the backside of the adapter and inside the adapter to where it threads onto the spindle

Still a lot of guesswork in this with dimensions haha, fun to see a little more complete assembly.

Comment

Sub'd for 5 lug goodness
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Looking good... This is where I ended up. I'm not a big fan of the lack of material between the int and ext threads on the nose of it, but it *shouldn't* be an issue under normal driving conditions

e30 spindle capture by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr
                          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

This is fun

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                            Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Looking good... This is where I ended up. I'm not a big fan of the lack of material between the int and ext threads on the nose of it, but it *shouldn't* be an issue under normal driving conditions
                              The one thing I can think of to help with that would be to tap the hole from the back side. Start with a thread starting tap, then switch to a closed end hole tap and stop just where the threads need to be for the spindle

Thanks putting the drawing up though! Good to have something to cross reference, I need to get a hub to get actual measurements for, my model just has internet based dimensions.
                              Last edited by HertE30; 01-18-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X