Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nars E28 Dinan 535i

This is my 88 E28 track day project.

So far I have swapped the oem steering wheel for a mystery steering wheel from Kuala Lumpur. I also mounted a lightweight Kirkey racing seat. (There will be two, the passenger seat install is pending.)

I swapped out the stock fuel pump(s) for a Walbro 255 and a Peterson fuel filter.

I've got E36 540i calipers and rotors ready to go on with stainless braided lines and HAWK pads. (calipers need to be powder coated, rotors are being cryo-treated and the hydro-boost + ABS system are being deleted in favor of a Wilwood-based booster-less manual brake setup.)

Lightweight flow-formed wheels are ready to go on with new Ventus RS3 rubber and racing wheel studs.

The biggest parts of this build will be the custom roll cage and this E34 M30B35 engine with twin-turbos running off an MS3 standalone...

don't forget Moosehead engineering UCAs and e31 LCAs!
    I love the e28 535i - so cool
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Neato. So, you're the one who ended up with Troy's old car. Have fun.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I like this.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Cool, sub'd for m30 turbo goodness

Comment

Update: E34 Engine Teardown

So I started tearing down my E34 M30B35 to evaluate it before I rebuild it.

I wanted some opinions on this gunk buildup on the valve train?

This is the only gunk buildup on this head that has me worried, especially with the plan to add turbo(s). Kinda difficult to say what caused it exactly, since it doesn't exactly shroud the whole exhaust valve for Cylinder #5, but my first guess would be leaky valve seal and/or guide for exhaust valve #5. Who is good with BMW head work in the bay area? Or is buying a rebuilt head and sending this off as a core more cost effective?

Comment

Update

Picked up a K-Data standalone

I also dropped the M30B35 cylinder head off at the machine shop for a rebuild and a 3-angle valve job. I bought a 284 duration cam along with heavy duty valve springs, rocker arms, chromoly retainers, and rocker locks.

Comment

Nice project.

From what I have gathered it may pay to install some type of oil restrictors in the block to the head holes so it doesn't fill or pool in the PCV area in the valve cover under sustained high RPM and possibly get sucked into the intake. Also are you concerned about using a b35 block rather than a b34 as they may be more prone to cracking near the head bolt area?

What compression ratio and level of boost are you shooting for?
                Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                  Nice project.

From what I have gathered it may pay to install some type of oil restrictors in the block to the head holes so it doesn't fill or pool in the PCV area in the valve cover under sustained high RPM and possibly get sucked into the intake. Also are you concerned about using a b35 block rather than a b34 as they may be more prone to cracking near the head bolt area?

What compression ratio and level of boost are you shooting for?
                  Thanks much for the questions, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for! I was not aware of any cracking issues with the M30B35 block? Please elaborate if you don't mind.

As for the PCV system, I plan to run a dual air/oil separator catch-can setup that should mostly mitigate issues with oil in the intake (of which I have plenty of now on the stock M30B34 engine).

I am still debating and planning a lot of details about the setup of the turbo system and bottom end for the M30B35. I'm not trying to build it purely for high horsepower. My priority is reliability and response with lots of torque and mid-range power.

Plan 'A' is boosting it at the stock compression level (9:1) with two smallish turbos (maybe Disco-Potato's) at approximately 15psi on a custom manifold. Plan A should not require much in the way of strengthening internally (and because the smaller turbo's are sized well for 1.75 liters each I figure there's no cause to raise the redline either)

Comment

looks great

7speedshop.com

Comment

D-Force FTW! so light :)

Cool project as well! Sub'd
                      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Car looks sick. Would be even cooler with euro bumpers lol but I bet that's the least of your worries since it will be a track car. Cant wait for updates

Comment

So more research leads me to think that a divided-entry manifold on a nicely sized single turbo may be better than twin turbo's. It's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison but this video really proves the point...

Comment

Update + Question on Piston Oil Squirters

I recently disassembled my M30B35 engine block to asses its condition.

At first glance looks good enough to reuse without the need for an overbore or other machining. I may end up simply replacing bearings, piston rings, gaskets and timing components (along with ARP hardware & turbo grade head gasket) and call it good but then I watched this video...

It seems some euro turbo BMW blocks had piston oil squirters! (Part # 11421730619)

I would really much prefer to have oil squirters before I turbocharge this block... but I am not going at a main bearing journal with a hand drill so I need to talk to my machinist about the cost of having these properly installed.

Anyone else do this to an M30 block? ECS Tuning lists them as being compatible with M20 and M50 blocks but NOT the M30 for whatever reason? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11421730619/
                            Last edited by scarsofcarma; 05-06-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Update: Some paint

Comment

Working...
                              X