Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysian
    replied

It's in the garage now, ugly as ever for the neighbors to hate.

Leave a comment:

• e30RS
    replied
    I will concur with that last statement! Fun build, good luck.

Leave a comment:

• jpod999
    replied
    Neighbors are more of a pain in the ass than E30 V8 swaps.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    My HOA finally got on me about this car... Have to get it in the garage. I'm going to put it in with the front towards the outside so every time I open my garage my neighbors have to look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Tonatillo
    replied
    Wow, you've done a lot of work since I've last seen the thread. Seeing all this makes me happy I found a guy who sold me all of his v8 swap parts for ridiculously cheap. Keep up the good work man 👌🏼

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Originally posted by Supadave View Post
    Garagistic write up on a removable core support.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UXfqlTl5-K6vdY
    Yes I've seen that. I'm going to wind up sectioning the front end on the red one further back, and make it bolt on at several points. I think this will be much simpler than the Garagistic setup, and will repair some crumpled metal on the drivers side rail.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    Garagistic write up on a removable core support.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Back at another lull in the action, as my side business (electric guitar pickups) has started really picking up... Not sure when I'll have more time to get back to this to be honest, there's so much work right now.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Lots of driving today, roughly 6 hours total. Took a trip to Houston to help a guy pull the driveline out of a 92 3 series vert, in exchange he allowed me to cut off the core support for my own car. Removing the core support made engine removal super easy anyways.

Going to make the core on my V8 E30 removable, might try to get that going this weekend, but have a lot of other stuff around the house to do, so who knows.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Pulled the front subframe from my spare E30 today, managed to do it without even getting under the car. A good thing, as it's been raining and was really muddy under there.

Going to be attempting a tubular front subframe for this, may even try to run a rear sump oil pan on the V8...

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Finished welding the trailing arm and got everything primed with etching primer and painted black.

Still have a bunch of parts I need:

Wheel bearings
    E46 rear brake caliper adapter
    E46 rear brake calipers
    E46 rear brake pads
    Z4 rear rotors
    All E-brake parts
    Brake lines
    Brake dust shields, both sides (were very rusted out, the E-brake parts just broke right off the shields)

So won't have the rear end together any time soon. I think I'm going to shift my focus to the front subframe now, need to pull the one out of my 86...

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Got the other trailing arm stripped down, now need to clean it up and prep it for welding. Will probably do that tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Was busy most of the day, but went out and welded in another small reinforcement on the rear trailing arm. I'm happier with this one.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    I've got the entire week of Christmas off, so planning on getting a ton of work done.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Productive weekend. I finished the replacement oil pan and primed it, need to do a top coat with engine enamel. It's ugly, but it doesn't leak, I left it sitting with water in it for over an hour.

I also started taking the trailing arms apart, got one fully disassembled, started to strip it, and welded on the reinforcements. I welded the plate reinforcement top and bottom... My welds aren't too awesome, somehow I can color in the lines but can't weld a straight bead to save my life. I tried going over the first bead again, and it just wound up more crooked, and got some porosity...

Oh well. I still have another one to do, maybe it'll come out better. Need to prime and paint this one, but have one more small plate to do. A buddy gave me some tips to improve my welding, so I'll practice those before I tackle the other trailing arm.
    Last edited by Elysian; 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X