No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan clearance is good, I didn't really need to hammer down the tabs on the steering like the guide said, but I did anyways. I'm still going to remake the pan and add some kickouts and baffles, I want to get back the capacity it lost, and get rid of the hump at the crossmember, make it flat so the oil actually gets down to the sump.

I have a lot of 2.5" tubing, U bends, etc, ready to go. I'd like to keep it dual 2.5 all the way, but we'll see how the routing works out. I need to get the Garagistic lollipops to give me some more room.

Comment

Minor stuff today, even though it took all day. Wired in a new main relay, then figured out a few things, one being an issue with my wiring that was popping a fuse, the other was the starter wiring. The autos have an extra relay, and for whatever reason my jumper at the auto shifter plug wasn't working anymore, so I deleted the starter relay and traced all the wires, connected everything together properly, and got to hear the sweet sweet sound of 302 turning over. Even without firing, could hear the exhaust pulses, they sounded good. Excited to get more done.

Tomorrow I'm going to start early (after I mow the lawn), replace the fuel injectors with the new set I ordered. Then I'm going to check that the fuel pump relay is operating properly, as well as the O2 sensor relay. After that I'll work on getting the Megasquirt working properly, and maybe even attempt a first start.

Comment

Went for the first attempted start today, but the battery is dead so only got a couple of cranks. Charging that right now, might try again later.

Comment

Great progress, you have come a long way almost at the finish line looking forward to seeing this all done and dusted!!!!!!

Comment

Not getting an RPM signal from the crank sensor, so need to figure that out, might just be a dead sensor.

In the meantime, I have a 22 x 19 x 3" all aluminum Summit radiator on the way, will fit in the core support. Link:

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Universal Fit Aluminum Radiators with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Radiators at Summit Racing.

Comment

LKQ Labor Day sale is this weekend, so I went and grabbed another WC T5 from a 3.8 Mustang. The donor car only had 75k miles on it, and paid $114 after tax for it.

Comment

First start!

Won't idle currently but got some revs out of it off camera. Don't want to run it too much without a cooling system.

edit: not sure if the YT embed is working, here's the link.

Comment

Since l was able to get it running , I decided to move on to the remote brake booster.

This part was pretty fun to install.

Here is a longer video of the motor running.

Got it to idle (very high), still has issues running but that's for another day.

Comment

Worked more on the brakes today. Cut the brake pedal up at the pivot, moved it over about 12-15mm, then welded the attachment point for the brake booster to the other side of the pedal. Almost worked that way, but I mounted the booster slightly too close to the firewall, so I've been working on the clevis' to shorten it there. I don't want to have to cut/weld the 300mm.de rod, but I might have to. Also seam sealed the 300mm.de plate at the wheel well.

Was going to work more, but it started raining, so that's where I'm leaving off for the day. Very close to having a functional brake system!

Comment

The Garagistic treehouse lollipops are on the way, got a 20% off coupon from them yesterday so figured what better time to order. Will allow me to work on my exhaust and finish up the front suspension, hopefully this weekend as long as it's not raining too bad.

Need to measure for the driveshaft as well.

Comment

Damn these look great.

I also have amassed the parts I'll need to run a hydraulic clutch on the T5, using a Datsun slave cylinder as outlined in someone else's (Laminar) build on bimmerforums.com...

Comment

Got a lot done today. Started by running the clutch hard line, looked at what it will take to make a hydraulic clutch mount.

Moved to the front after that, finished the 5 lug swap, installed steel braided brake lines, and swapped the stock steering rack for a Z3 2.7 lock to lock rack.

Found a pinhole leak in the oil pan, Already have the new pan here so I'll work on that sometime in the near future.

Next on the agenda will be reinforcing the 318ti rear subframe I have, that way I can finish the 5 lug swap. I also want to reinforce the spare front subframe I have, possibly do a tube setup similar to Arc Asylum, I can have the tube bent at work. Will think about that.

Comment

So much poke. Wide body will be wicked with these wheels.

Comment

Radiator arrived last night, looks great.

Checked it loosely in front of the car, looks like it will work, will come down a bit low, but not lower than the oil pan. Picture obviously not at install height :p

Might work on fitting that this weekend. I'm going to wind up needing hood pins if this works out, as I'll have to remove the hood latch up front to fit it. I'm going to use the AeroCatch hood pins I think.

Comment

Finally got some time between rain... Welded the castors onto my welding table, and tack welded my new oil pan to it so this time it won't deform while I'm modifying it. Started hacking, and welded an inner support to the oil pan, will give me some metal to weld to in that corner, hopefully make it less likely to burn through.

That's when I ran out of argon. Gonna have to pick some up tomorrow. A storm also started building up.

Comment

Working...
                                X