*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick valve adjustment

Suppose these are factory installed oil quart rings? Floating around the valvetrain

Comment

Man, this is a fantastic build! Nice job.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

I wonder if that’s why it wasn’t getting warm?

Comment

Cousins?

Comment

Starting the custom hood hinge process.

Comment

Subscribed. This is insane. I just want to learn to use my stick welder and I can't even figure that out.
              Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

missed you last tuesday.
                lookin sooo good...
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                  missed you last tuesday.
                  lookin sooo good...

4 out of 6 spark plug ends pulled off when I was taking the plugs out to do the valve adjustment. We tried to clean and recrimp them, but it was running on three cylinders. Ordered a new ignition lead set and it’s all better.

Comment

Hey, I was looking back at the first page.....which Volvo engine is that that you had in there? It's 4 cyl but twin cam - I don't know that one.

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      Hey, I was looking back at the first page.....which Volvo engine is that that you had in there? It's 4 cyl but twin cam - I don't know that one.

It was a Volvo Penta AQ171. It’s for marine applications, comes with a forged crank with longer stroke to make it a 2.5l. It uses the standard single overhead cam B230 (2.3l) block and puts the B234 dual overhead cam head on it.

Comment

There was a regular 16 valve 4 cylinder that Volvo used in the 740, 940 and 960. It had a different block configuration with balance shafts and stuff.

Comment

Ah, thanks.

Would either of those make a good / fairly simple swap into a 122? Better choices than a built-up B20 for a fun daily wagon? The ones you see with a 5 cyl white block sound like a major project.

Comment

Ah, thanks.

Would either of those make a good / fairly simple swap into a 122? Better choices than a built-up B20 for a fun daily wagon? The ones you see with a 5 cyl white block sound like a major project.
                            Yeah, but you need to swap a fair amount since you'd be converting to EFI at that point. Someone makes mounts to swap them in. Even the single overhead cam 4 cylinder can make plenty of power.

Yeah, converting a whiteblock to RWD is a decent endeavor. Put it this way, I decided to swap the entire chassis instead. LOL More fun might be putting carbs on a DOHC redblock instead of converting to EFI.

Comment

ah.....so the reason you are going to all this trouble is because the vulva was originally front wheel drive? i was wondering what your reasoning was.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Nope (unless you’re just pulling his chain). A whiteblock 5 cyl is a transverse car - fwd & awd. A 122 is a classic rwd. They rallied them back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X