No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would assume you would want it completely sandwiched between the cover and diff to get any actual heat transfer. As long as you could seal it up and get the speedo sensor to read 1/8" or so out from stock it would be boss.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

How much heat transfer you think you'll get out of that thing? I'd think you'd want to attach to the existing fins somehow.

In theory (which is all I know) it’s mostly about contact patch surface area, so probably not a lot of heat transfer in this design. If I decide to spend any time on a V2 down the road I’ll try to increase the contact patch somehow. Fins attached to the main pumpkin would cool just as well as fins on the back cover. I’m pretty sure my car will never get the diff fluid to the point where it needs much cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
        I would assume you would want it completely sandwiched between the cover and diff to get any actual heat transfer. As long as you could seal it up and get the speedo sensor to read 1/8" or so out from stock it would be boss.

Once the fluid/diff gets to temp, the whole mass will have a similar heat profile. The steel pumpkin won’t heat/cool as fast as the aluminum back cover, but cooling any part of the “network” cools all parts of the “network” since the heat is generated internally. It doesn’t need to be physically touching the fluid. Cool the diff, you cool the fluid.

Comment

I may consider making something for my smallcase now, just a version 10 times uglier.

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
            I may consider making something for my smallcase now, just a version 10 times uglier.

Small case probably has a different bolt pattern, huh? Cause I made two extra.

Comment

I believe it’s different.

Comment

Congrats on your Jalopnik article!! Very well deserved, your fabrication skills are absolutely inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                  Congrats on your Jalopnik article!! Very well deserved, your fabrication skills are absolutely inspiring.

Thanks. I was a little surprised they wanted to run it. I feel like just a dude.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                    Thanks. I was a little surprised they wanted to run it. I feel like just a dude.
                    Yea I saw that too, and showed my wife and was like, hey I know that guy!! Even though I really dont but it felt like I did because of following the build lol!
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                      Yea I saw that too, and showed my wife and was like, hey I know that guy!! Even though I really dont but it felt like I did because of following the build lol!

We’re all family.

Comment

Comment

Still a ways to go, but it’s a start.
                          Last edited by adam.nonis; 06-09-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Man, Tapatalk is acting weird these days.

Comment

Pro tip: don’t let your leaky windshield drip right on top of your DME.

Comment

Any plans for more power?

Comment

Working...
                                X