Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing.

Basic bodywork questions -
    1. Are you pulling right at the deepest part of the crease?
    2. Doesn't the truck just drag the car sideways? (or are your DOT competition tires REALLY sticky...)

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      Amazing.

Basic bodywork questions -

1. Are you pulling right at the deepest part of the crease?

2. Doesn't the truck just drag the car sideways? (or are your DOT competition tires REALLY sticky...)

There’s actually lots of pulling in different patterns. Disclaimer: I’m not a pro, just have done some body work.

I start in the deepest part, pulling in the direction that the dent pushed in, but don’t try to pull it all the way out from there. Start there, then pull the studs off, place another batch above, below or around the first set and pull some more. Basically massage it back and forth until it’s close. Then hammer and dolly where possible to smooth it out as best I can, then usually a little more pulling. Shrinking with heat on high spots (ridges) to relieve tension (to prevent oil-canning). I also put a piece of 1x3 inside along a ridge that was soft pushed in and used a portapower across from the other quarter panel (braced) to push out a larger area. The studs point load when pulling and I needed to push out a large area at once. I also had to wedge in a hydraulic jaw to push out the area right around the rear door frame. There’s one thing I’ve learned over the years about body work. Don’t try to get it all first shot. Take your time and work the metal. It’s going to be stretched. You don’t wanna stretch it more.

It actually drug the truck when I was pulling at the jamb area. Using the truck is more about putting consistent pressure on a few studs at a time and allow for some hammer work simultaneously as opposed to just yanking one stud at a time. Be smooth.

Comment

No new car pics really.

Decision made.

Comment

Are you ready to lay paint already?
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            Are you ready to lay paint already?

Nope, at least not on the whole body. I just needed to decide on a paint color and get it off my plate. I also needed to get some so I can start cutting in the parts that don’t need a bunch of work still.

Comment

The color choice pleases me greatly.
              Very excited to see how it turns out. I think it would be tits, tied with that interior
              '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Off to his new home

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                  Off to his new home
                  As in his temporary new home where the body work and paint will be completed? Not as in change of title and new ownership?

Comment

It’s a rental home. With a truncated timeline and rain in the foreseeable future forecast (just say NO to alliteration) I’m borrowing some shop space through the weekend.

If I can remember, I’ll set up the GoPro and do some time lapse stuff

Comment

God. You scared the shit out of me there for a second.

Comment

yeah holy crap I was nervous
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

[emoji38] sorry, I missed April fools day.

Comment

Comment

If you want to give input, you’ve got until 6:30 AM PST tomorrow. I’ll be setting up a go pro doing time lapse photos. Do you want really wide angle (like gets almost all of the shop), medium side view (mostly just the car) or more from the front back? I’m only gonna set it up once and leave it for the next batch of days. Except to download when it gets full.

Comment

Medium side view would be best in my opinion. You can't convey body work high and low spots from video. It is more from feel. So the video alone will show how much time and effort goes into proper body work. You might as well get as much of the car in the shot as possible to show the transformation it is going to undertake.

Comment

Working...
                                X