Clear All

Where did you get the shelves from?
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      Where did you get the shelves from?

They look like the ones sold at home depot/ lowes. I actually had a couple boxes of those fall and crush my hand when i was unloading them off the truck when i used to work at lowes.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I bought the shelving from a local guy on Facebook Marketplace. He was setting up a retail sore and bought more than he needed. They are restaurant/food grade chrome plated wire shelving, nice stuff, very sturdy. The boxes said Thundergroup on them.

I went to Lowes/HD a few weeks ago and didn't see anything nearly as nice or well made, much less for the price. I have $250 for the shelving pictured, brand new in box. Roughly half of what it runs for new.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          I bought the shelving from a local guy on Facebook Marketplace. He was setting up a retail sore and bought more than he needed. They are restaurant/food grade chrome plated wire shelving, nice stuff, very sturdy. The boxes said Thundergroup on them.

I went to Lowes/HD a few weeks ago and didn't see anything nearly as nice or well made, much less for the price. I have $250 for the shelving pictured, brand new in box. Roughly half of what it runs for new.
          Thanks for letting me know. I have been looking for some shelving like what you have. And it looked a lot nicer than what I have been seeing at the department stores. Awesome price too.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Anything new happening here?

Comment

Small progress, behind the scenes stuff. I've been blasting and cleaning hardware preparing for plating. Jon's ordered a rotisserie for his coming build, and I'm going to make the custom mounting fixtures with my car and flip it over to clean and refinish the undercarriage.

Bodyshop is still busy so I'm backed out for now, nature of sweetheart deals I need to be patient and get in when it slows.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                Small progress, behind the scenes stuff. I've been blasting and cleaning hardware preparing for plating. Jon's ordered a rotisserie for his coming build, and I'm going to make the custom mounting fixtures with my car and flip it over to clean and refinish the undercarriage.

Bodyshop is still busy so I'm backed out for now, nature of sweetheart deals I need to be patient and get in when it slows.

I know the feeling with body shop. I got a sweet deal on my paint job but that came with the price of months of waiting cause it was just a side gig when i have time i’ll work on it deal.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Is anyone still seeing my photobucket images? I think my grandfathered in plan expired out on the 8th and I canceled the auto-renew card on file a few months back. I need to find a new solution for sharing the builds and organizing the pictures.

Yesterday I spend awhile assembling the rotisserie that Jon bought for his upcoming build, which of course it makes sense I should test out by fabricating whatever attachments needed for the E30 chassis and cleaning, refinishing the undercarriage of this car. You know, just to make sure it works well.

The other major task at hand that I'm putting time into here and there is the refinishing of all the hardware on the car. With few exceptions each and every piece of hardware originally yellow cadmium plated needs to be degreased, glass bead blasted, and then buffed with a stainless wire wheel to prepare it for replated perfection.

The amount of time investment required for this is daunting. This one bolt did not need degreasing given where it came out of, took about 30s to bead blast, and another minute or so to buff. After finishing it gets sprayed with WD40 as a rust inhibitor and tossed in a plastic bin full of its friends.

Comment

I can see them but i have the plug in on google chrome so i can see them.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I have the plug-in for FireFox so I can see them as well.
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Chassis mounted to the rotisserie and flipped up ready for some extensive cleaning and degreasing.

Once clean I need to touch up some spots of undercoating that have been scraped up by lifts, floor jacks over the year sand then respray the entire undercarriage in beige paint as it was when new.

Comment

This project is legit!!
                          Paynemw
                          1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                          the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                          1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

def a better approach with the slick top, with my build I replaced the whole cartridge. Unpicked the old one, put a new one in. It was an absolute nightmare of a job from start of the build all the way to making a new liner for it. Whole roof opening had to be reshaped and leveled again due to the processes of removal without removing the skin.

never ever ever again. If I was to do it again, I would do a whole turret like you
                            Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Unbelieveable

This project is just outrageous. Amazing attention to detail.

Comment

Man am I tired of cleaning shit, but I am very happy with the results.

I attacked the undercarriage filth in two stages. The initial cleaning was with just the pressure washer, getting everything that would rip off the surface without further involvement free and out of the way.

That was the easy part, although I got pretty messy. Its about impossible to consistently avoid blowback from the pressure washer. As you can see the chassis is beige under all the grime, and looking good so far.

Now I went after the stubborn caked on oil, grime, cosmoline and whatever else with foaming degreaser, purple power, and solvent as needed. This was the long arduous part, taking several hours working one area at a time, pressure washing, reworking etc until it was completely clean.

All of the undercoating is in good shape save for some assorted scrapes to be expected over 25 years, and of course typical damage from floor jacks and 2 post lift arms. The black areas that remain are paint, or aerosol undercoating sprayed on the rockers etc long after production.

The plan for next weekend is to apply spot touchups on the areas of undercoat in need of repair, and then respray the entire undercarriage in a satin beige urethane I'll mix up custom.

Comment

Working...
                                X