No announcement yet.

Lacey, the Lachssilber 325iS - oem+ 5spd. swap daily driver build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more teaser pic before next week. I bought the motorsport hardware 90mm studs and tracklite spacers yesterday. Extremely excited, I went with 25mm in the rear and 20mm in the front. It should be semi flush but I shouldn't have to roll fenders, I believe. I haven't bought the drop hats yet though because I'm not entirely sure I'm going to need them. Time will tell.

Last edited by vtechnik; 03-23-2018, 12:46 AM.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Pic dump

Time for a wheel change!

The Motorsport Hardware showed up Monday and I just installed everything.

- 90mm studs
      - 20mm traklite fronts
      - 25mm traklite rears

Got myself some more much needed jack stands because all my other ones are occupied. I also got some red locktite and another 17mm deep.

Installed.

Mounted annnnnnd NUT

Overall extremely happy with the fitment and how it looks. It could use some improvement but for now I'm very pleased. I really like the look of the silver and black on Lachs. It blends well and is easy on the eyes to look at.

I would like to get e90 drop hats and a slight fixed camber plate to really get the oem+ stance dialed. Other than that I need an iS lip asap and mayyyybe I might eventually swing for a roof rack. I don't mean to be a basic stance guy but I think a roof rack would really bring together the look of the car with the new wheels. I'll have to pshop one. Btw that's a leaf in the second pic not rust lol

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Also, thanks to spiDmang, I bought more 5 speed parts that are actually usable. Looks like I'm getting back on track! :up:

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
          Also, thanks to spiDmang, I bought more 5 speed parts that are actually usable. Looks like I'm getting back on track! :up:
          You didnt make eye contact with him did you

Are the wheels actually "ultra light" or is that all BS
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            You didnt make eye contact with him did you

Are the wheels actually "ultra light" or is that all BS
            First part: Smh lol

Second part: They say "Ultra Light" on the outer edge and "made in japan" on the back. I'm thinking about posting it in the "What wheel is this?" thread, to see if anyone has other pics of them mounted.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Since someone is bound to say "pics or it didn't happen", here ya go

edit:

Just found this:
              Last edited by vtechnik; 03-27-2018, 01:41 PM.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
                First part: Smh lol

Second part: They say "Ultra Light" on the outer edge and "made in japan" on the back. I'm thinking about posting it in the "What wheel is this?" thread, to see if anyone has other pics of them mounted.
                hmmm sounds like you did. its ok, he got me too...

When you swapped from the weaves were they noticeably lighter?
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Can we drop it? I don't want to talk about it...

Not really, they felt similar in weight when swapping. I have to drive it a little with the spacers to get a feel for the new weight.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Nice progress. Fitment looks great :up:
                    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                    E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I dig the new wheels. Worth the drive to Portland!
                      1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                      SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                      Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Just drove a bit on them, they feel just as light as basketweaves with the spacers, so presumably they must be a little lighter. The traklite spacers however are super light as is, so the wheels are probably really close to the weight of the basketweaves.

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
                        Nice progress. Fitment looks great :up:
                        Thanks!

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                        I dig the new wheels. Worth the drive to Portland!
                        Thanks! Yesssir it was. Maybe I'll see you at Dick's tonight?

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

So I put the fortnite controller down yesterday and worked on the eta. I figure I'm gonna need the space for my 5spd. swap in the car port so getting rid of it asap is becoming a priority.

trash

parts soon to be for sale

Found out last night whoever mounted these wheels is a dumbass cause they're asymmetric and the guy mounted them all the same way... smh, I'm gonna have to take them all off again and swap the tires around. I'm also starting to feel a heavy vibration at high speeds, I think it maybe the steering rack / skid plate bolts coming lose. I gotta tighten them up again. If it's not that then the wheels aren't balanced right too.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

5 spd. swap done-ish! Not really. I can explain.

It's been a minute since I posted an update on Lacey so I'll try to catch up on everything fairly brief-like.

What's new? Well.. I straightened my wheels, got new tires, blew my heater core, missed the picnic :( , got a roof rack, went on a road trip, bought another honda, sold the honda, then bought a miata, oh.. and I 5spd. swapped Lacey ;D

Pics of Lacey

I'm looking for someone local who wants to trade for ix weaves, if anyone is interested

Pics of Stacy (1997 miata):
                            She's a hoot

On to the good stuff (I might add more pics later):

Parts list (nothin' but oem yo):

- Chase bays clutch line (ok, so not everything)
                            - Rear main seal
                            - Center support bearing (FCP sent another immediately after i told them mine came bent)
                            - Sachs clutch kit
                            - Clutch slave cylinder
                            - Rear main seal housing gasket
                            - Driveshaft guibo
                            - All new hardware pretty much everywhere possible with hefty amounts of red loctite :)
                            - Shifter ball socket
                            - Exhaust flanges
                            - Clutch fork pivot
                            - Clutch release spring
                            - Firewall grommets
                            - Pilot bearing
                            - Engine mounts
                            - Transmission mounts
                            - Shifter bushing
                            - Garagistic mushroom shift knob with mtech center cap
                            - Shift boot
                            - Clutch pedal pad
                            - Master cylinder rebuild kit
                            - Shifter seal
                            - Selector rod joint
                            - 1.9 z3 shift lever :D
                            - Elring Dirko Chemical sealant
                            - Air filter
                            - Oil filter

I'll make the pics brief

Exhaust off and pic of said rack

Driveshaft out

Pulled intake for access to the starter nuts. While in there I cleaned the whole assembly, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the filter

Autotragedy out

halfway impromptu art with my dremel :)

Officially more manual than auto

I put a new clutch pad on later

Rear main seal done

Resurfaced

Torqued

Yikes

Better

Put in a new seal, and used elring sealant to seal her up

Shifter seal replaced too along with the entirety of the shift linkage. I swapped the egay short shifter for a proper 1.9 z3 setup

rebuilt the master

annnd after calling a buddy, we got the tranny in (ended up breaking one of the tranny mounts so i reused one on the side that doesn't get a lot of stress lol)

Split, cleaned, replaced csb, and assembled (yes, i made sure it went back together how it came)

filled her up (yes, i know it's not ideal fluid)

put the exhaust and intake back in

set her on the ground for a test drive

Pretty cool right?

Well...

After test driving her around the block, I found almost all my work to be useless. Once she warms up, the tranny leaks like someones pouring oil through a funnel on to concrete. The transmission fluid is coming from in between the block and bellhousing :roll: Not sure how this happened since I replaced the seal and used a thin layer of elring dirko sealant (which I heard is pretty good stuff?) maybe I'll opt for the o'reilly rtv special this time? Also, I could see it dripping a little if i didn't seal it completely but the leak is a full on stream when warmed up? Also I know the fluid I'm using is a little thin for the application. but again it shouldn't be a full on stream? Anyhow, I'm gonna take a week to focus on school, do some research and go back at it. I'm a little discouraged but it's just another speed bump in the grand scheme of things. Any productive suggestions are appreciated.

FINAL THOUGHT: For anyone doing the single mass conversion, don't cheap out on the throw out bearing. It's $75. Get the 323i TOB. Period. Unless you want your clutch to grab at the very bottom of the pedal, get the 323i TOB. The silver lining in fixing the leak is I'll be able to get 323i TOB. Again, get the 323i TOB. lolol
                            Last edited by vtechnik; 10-01-2018, 10:08 PM.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Sorry to hear that the 5 speed swap is leaking bad.

But this presents another opportunity to fix a mistake you made.
                              You should remove the harmonic balancer ring on your driveshaft.
                              It will hit your shift linkage since you did the z3 shifter.
                              You can bend your shift linkage to clear the harmonic balancer, but if you ever change shift levers in the future or upgrade to a dssr (highly recommend) then you can't install it until the that ring is removed.

You will need a few new bolts.
                              From what I remember that ring uses pressed in studs.
                              You can hammer out the studs, remove the ring and install regular bolts.

Also make sure you orientate the guibo in the correct direction.
                              The tip of the arrow needs to point to a flange.

Most e30 do not have a harmonic balancer on the driveshaft
                              A diy I made I while ago
                              E30 dssr installation process In the shifter area its a great opportunity to replace several items, its a perfect example of while your in there. Parts DSSR (found here) Shift knuckle bushing shift knuckle(centered knuckle to be compatible with the dssr) New shift lever (Z3 1.9 model, great feel for a budget price.) ne
                              Last edited by iwantspeed; 10-02-2018, 10:40 AM.

-
                              Project
                              Parts for Sale
                              Feedback
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Awesome she is a 5 speed now! Weird that the transmission is dumpling fluid at such a fast rate.
                                1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                                SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                                Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X