No announcement yet.

1989 325i Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldnt worry too much about the one piston that looks like it got nicked... at least not yet. I would clean those piston tops as best you can and assess the damage then
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Ima try to get them cleaned up this weekend.

So when I was taking Everything apart I came across this.

Is this broken or does it just come out like that? Seemed to have just been sitting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EREKSHUN View Post

Is this broken or does it just come out like that? Seemed to have just been sitting in there.
        that looks broken! haha take a look at the other exhaust manifold, it was there in an earlier pic, its probably still connected to it
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

1989 325i Sedan

Not much progress this weekend but I did clean up the pistons a little bit. This is about 2/3 hours of scrubbing. Not the best pics sorry.

Before:

After:

I’ll be dropping the head off to get rebuilt in the next couple weeks as well as hitting the purchase button on a top end gasket kit. I was looking at the package that bimmerheads offers. Has anyone picked up their “M20 ultimate head gasket set”?
          This is our own BimmerHeads exclusive “Ultimate” head gasket set! Gaskets included: head gasket, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, vacuum plate gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat housing gasket, coolant pipe gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, downpipe gaskets, rocker shaft plugs, oil pipe o-rings, therm

I see CATuned has a similar set up for about the same price.

Any suggestions before I purchase anything?

I also see a price difference in the Gates timing belt but they seem to have the same part number T131RB. Does anyone have any idea if there is any difference in the two besides the vendor?
          Bimmerheads:
          No other belts protect your engine while delivering powerfully high performance like Gates Racing (RPM) Timing Belts. Gates RPM Timing Belts are incredibly strong and extremely heat resistant, engineered to take on high speeds and rapid accelerations. Constructed of HNBR elastomeric composites, Gates RPM Timing Belts a

Catuned:

Thanks again always looking forward to anyone’s advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by EREKSHUN; 02-26-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EREKSHUN View Post

do you know the history on the head ? febi is an aftermarket brand suggesting the head has had previous work. i'd be curious to know if the cam has been upgraded or reground.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
              do you know the history on the head ? febi is an aftermarket brand suggesting the head has had previous work. i'd be curious to know if the cam has been upgraded or reground.
              You know i was curious about that also. We actually purchased the motor out of a burnt up convertible a couple years back from Harouts in Sun Valley. So i dont really have any history besides knowing it was and I model. Great catch with those eagle :crazy: eyes.

Comment

just to be clear febi is the oem supplier. the difference is the original rockers would have had a bmw branding and not the febi symbol on the rocker. i've never seen the febi branding on an original rocker.

Comment

just to be clear febi is the oem supplier. the difference is the original rockers would have had a bmw branding and not the febi symbol on the rocker. i've never seen the febi branding on an original rocker.
                  Thanks for that information. I also noticed the star style head bolts. I think the factory is a normal bolt pattern. It may have been rebuilt i am now very interested if the cam was reground or replaced also. It was pretty peppy when i had it running correctly but its been years since ive driven it.

Comment

head bolts look standard at least for the later model. if the head had come off previously they would have been replaced with that style any way.

Comment

have a look at the end of the cam if you get a chance. if it was reground then it's standard practice for the machine shop to etch the profile on the end of the cam. this is to inform the engine builder of the profile and timing changes.

Comment

have a look at the end of the cam if you get a chance. if it was reground then it's standard practice for the machine shop to etch the profile on the end of the cam. this is to inform the engine builder of the profile and timing changes.

Great information man. I will try to check that this afternoon after work.

Comment

Working...
                        X