Restoring a neglected E30 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring 2023 update

Without a catalyzer or middle resonator, the exhaust was loud, so I got a new Walker resonator and Quite-Flow SS muffler.
    The existing exhaust was completely rotted and also in the wrong size: 2" pipe was welded after the manifold instead of the standard 2 1/4" for a 318is as seen in the below picture.

New stainless steel muffler and resonator with correct 2 1/4" pipe.
    The old muffler fell off during removal.

Finally managed to get iS seats instead of the existing E36 leather seats, and after a lots of cleaning and sorting out small things below are the results:

seat rails sanded, cleaned, painted and lubed.

3rd seat belt was hidden under the rear seats.

knee pad worm gear.

cloth cleaning

Before and after:

Until next summer.

Last edited by kenshin86; 04-21-2024, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Summer 2023 update

- Driveshaft vibration

Recently I started to notice a thumping rotating noise coming from the driveshaft, the center support bearing is solid but I there is a play in the center locking nut: the plastic inside it might be worn or it may need more tightening.

After driving the car more, the problem was was only observed during on/off throttle or when engaging the clutch.
      As per the Bentley manual troubleshooting table this is most likely caused by a siezed sliding coupling, and indeed upon further inspection the gunk on the splines were baked in so hard I had to use an angle grinder with a brush wheel to clean them.
      In addition, the plastic teeth of the central locking nut were gone, that explains the play in my last video.
      With a new nut and fresh moly grease, the vibration is now gone !

- Headlight restoration

The plastic frame of my headlights were broken beyond repair, and the light assembly was glued onto the front grill using silicone to hold it in place.
      So I got new frames, 3D printed the broken plastic bits of the adjusting screws, crimped some bullet connectors to the wires instead and painted the metal rings.

- the work bench

- remaining parts to be installed

- rust repair

It was finally the time to do what should have been done from day one: welding work. At the start of this journey 7 years ago I didn't have the knowledge, and was not aware of the common rust locations, and I dreaded the work because of the limited time I can spend in each visit (2 weeks max), so I took the car to a local body shop to uncover the below

dashboard removed

scuttle area

new sunroof

behind rear wheel, all the fuel hoses were rotted

new sheet metal was welded on top and covered with fiberglass putty and then epoxy primer.

Hopefully in the next spring the car will be fully painted.
      Until next time.​
      Last edited by kenshin86; 04-21-2024, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin86 View Post
        - The bulk of old/broken/replaced parts:

- Rust repair
        That is a seriously impressive pile of items replaced! Nice work.
        Going to keep as spare parts or throw them out?

I had many of those same rust spots on my car, and a few more on top of that.
        Took years but finally repaired them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
          That is a seriously impressive pile of items replaced! Nice work.
          Going to keep as spare parts or throw them out?

I had many of those same rust spots on my car, and a few more on top of that.
          Took years but finally repaired them all!
          I will keep them in case some parts in the future are NLA, and to remind my self how much money I spent :D
          Glad to hear yours is finished, and what a beautiful color especially in the sun !

Comment

Update Spring 2024

During this visit I decided to do a full body paint since the whole process will not cost you more than $ 500 in Lebanon.
            It took around 4 weeks to finish and below are the results:

Coming out of the spray booth:

Reached my garage:

Identifying all chopped and sliced wires with a help of label machine and crimping in new connectors for the headlights:

Replacing OBC damaged screen:

Next visit in God's will should be the re-installation of the interior/dashboard/seats and hopefully I can get all the wiring sorted out.

Last edited by kenshin86; 04-22-2024, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Paint work looks good. Now for the long reassembly/rebuild!

Comment

Paint turned out great!
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  Paint turned out great!
                  Thanks ! Honestly I was not expecting this degree of black although it is the correct original color Diamantschwarz metallic.
                  Maybe the previous paint was faded away due to age and I was perceiving it more as dark grey when the sun was shining as you can see in this old photo:

Last edited by kenshin86; 04-23-2024, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                    Paint work looks good. Now for the long reassembly/rebuild!
                    Thanks ! the reassembly sure takes more than expected when you have to sort all the wiring and clean all the parts.
                    Painting took around 4 weeks to finish and costs around $ 500 in Lebanon believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin86 View Post
                      Thanks ! the reassembly sure takes more than expected when you have to sort all the wiring and clean all the parts.
                      Painting took around 4 weeks to finish and costs around $ 500 in Lebanon believe it or not.
                      $500!? That is absolutely amazing!
                      Even the cheapest paint jobs around here cost 10x as much. 😵

Comment

Love comeback stories like this. You're running out of things to replace / restore so I guess that means it's time to enjoy it

Comment

Working...
                        X