Meet Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Betty

Hi all, after a 2ish year Hiatus, I'm back to being an e30 owner! I found her on craigslist being sold a by a recently divorced couple. They had owned the car for 18 years and had purchased it from the wife of the service manager of Beverly Hills BMW. She's a 1987 Lachs on Cardinal 5 speed vert with 116k(ish) miles.

(my friend talking to the recent divorcée)

Pros
    All original paint work that I believe will polish up pretty nicely
    5 speed car
    Crack-free dash
    Amazing vintage Cali "Sunset" License plates
    Sweet sweet chrome bottle caps and woodgrain trim kit
    Almost all records since day 1

Cons
    Top has become hard so it cracks every time you open it, will need replacement
    Seats are... Trashed
    No timing belt records at all.
    Needs a center support bearing
    A/C doesn't work

Driving Home..
    Last edited by Julien; 05-18-2018, 08:09 AM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Here are some of the pics when I got her home..

First step was to drive to BMA parts on Saturday and pickup a timing belt/water pump kit for her. On the way home I stopped by a guy who was selling an mtech1 wheel and picked that up as well.

Once I got her home I started the tear down and I gotta say, I've never seen a belt this far worn *gasp*

Timing belt cover

The belt!

The failure prone aux-pulley

Needless to say, I had to wait to find a replacement aux pulley.

Back together with other misc parts such as the camshaft seal

After a little coolant bleeding she purred like a kitten. This is probably the healthiest M20 I've driven in a while.
    Last edited by Julien; 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

The other day I get a text from an old buddy of mine who said he's in town and wants to hang out. He comes over as I'm doing the timing belt and we get to chatting over a beer. He reminds me that he's done a few of these e30 tops and that he could help me install one if I could track one down in the next day or two. Lucky for me, LA has a boatload of car suppliers including German Auto Tops, one of the best replacement top manufacturers out there. I decided to pull the trigger on a stayfast top (same as modern BMWs) and new straps.

Next thing you know... Betty is getting a new top!

Old top:

Frame:

New vs old straps (replacing these makes closing the top very easy. No folding or messing with anything, it just pops right into place)

Test fitting the new top:

Gluing the top in place and making adjustments (inc'l beer):

And.. the result (at midnight!)

I still have to do some smaller finishing work on the top but overall it looks amazing! To reward myself I went and got her smogged and titled during my lunch break

She's officially mine now! More updates to come.
      Last edited by Julien; 04-26-2018, 02:49 PM.
      Build Threads:

Comment

That looks like a great find and impressively fast progress too. I love the cardinal interior even in sub-optimal condition.

Comment

Very cool! This thing will come together quite nicely!

Once I swap over to plastic bumpers, do you want my 88 bumper shocks so you can get a medium tuck job on those diving boards?

and please please please leave that "wood" trim inside. its pretty awesome to see one in good condition still
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Very cool!

and please please please leave that "wood" trim inside. its pretty awesome to see one in good condition still
            x2
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Fun Fact: Sun Graphic CA plates were discontinued in 1987.

Sweet car man, super jelly. I know a good PDR guy out in Huntington Beach that can take out the fender dent. He's been in business for about 25 years.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                that means my cars got original plates too woo!
                OG plate gang
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Very cool! This thing will come together quite nicely!

Once I swap over to plastic bumpers, do you want my 88 bumper shocks so you can get a medium tuck job on those diving boards?

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  x2
                  keeping it for sure!

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post

Sweet car man, super jelly. I know a good PDR guy out in Huntington Beach that can take out the fender dent. He's been in business for about 25 years.
                  That's awesome, did not know that. PM'd you about PDR guy

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  that means my cars got original plates too woo!
                  OG plate gang
                  :pimp::pimp:
                  Build Threads:

Comment

Welcome back to the drug! Such a shame on the interior but the car looks great and that top took it to a new level. LOVE the wood trim, it's just perfect 80s goodness.
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Care package came from Europe!

I took off the black paint with paint stripped to see the shape of the chrome below

Ehhh.. not sure what to do. Repaint them, polish up the chrome, plasti-dip? Suggestions are welcome!

Anyone know how rare these are? I have two of them
                      Build Threads:

Comment

Just rock the bumps as they are... Betty aint no beauty queen
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Subscribed.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed. I'd just polish the bumpers and call it a day, the patina will look appropriate.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post

Anyone know how rare these are? I have two of them
                              Last I checked BMW still sold them for about $140
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X