No announcement yet.

Re-body project for my 24V e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, you guys are doing great work! I didn't expect all the frame work and a full rear end swap when I opened this thread. Very impressive.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Attached Files

Comment

Yikes, that's one heck of a project, but I bet you wrap it up considering the progress thus far.

Comment

Some more shots of the race car. The worst part of all of this work is getting the seam sealer and undercoating out of the way. We had to get one of those “crud thugs” Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Attached Files

Comment

An amazing amount of work there to bring the car back to life! Well done.

I guess as e30s get more expensive we'll see more of these sorts of rebuilds - traditionally you'd just trash the shell and get another good one, and drop your 24v swap into it.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              An amazing amount of work there to bring the car back to life! Well done. I guess as e30s get more expensive we'll see more of these sorts of rebuilds - traditionally you'd just trash the shell and get another good one, and drop your 24v swap into it.
              That’s what I thought I was doing when I picked up the white car, LOL. And truthfully I could’ve just slapped the engine in there and the exterior appearance of the car would’ve been just fine… But I’m a little bit anal I guess and just at this point in my life wanted something that was “correct“. And yeah these cars are getting old and I’m seeing their prices go up on bring a trailer and other sites like that so it makes sense for me to make this car nice Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by bimmer630; 02-23-2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

The rear clip replacement on the black race car honestly makes no sense at all, but Jeff has owned that car since he was 17 or 18 or something and it has sentimental value to him, and we had the gray parts car with no title and we are both just sitting there looking at it and we were like why don’t we try and do this Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s some more Pics of the tunnel repair. I’m not super enthusiastic about how boogered the welds ended up looking on some of that, but cutting the donor patch pieces in with all these complex curves was a little bit tricky and I got the gaps way too fat so I had to build structure in between the gaps with Mig wire LOL. If I was doing a repair on a quarter panel or anything else that was going to be visible on the exterior, I would never let the Welding go down like it did here. But even still I’m going to smooth out that floor to the point where you won’t even be able to tell anything happened and it’s all going to get painted white and covered in dynamat on the top and undercoating on the bottom I still need to get the car up in the air and burn in those braces that hold the seat rail mounting studs. I included some pictures of the work I’ve done so far with cutting those sections out of the donor vehicle though Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Attached Files

Comment

By the way, does anybody have a clean rust free radiator core support for An e30? My original plan was to steal one off of one of these parts cars but they’re both a little too rusty. I can get one through Bmw Parts and it’s gonna be about 300 or 400 bucks… But I figured I’d check on the forum here before I did that Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Schmeidmann lists a Klokkerholm rad support for under $200, but shipping makes it almost not worth it. However, if you could find the part through a US distributor you could save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        Schmeidmann lists a Klokkerholm rad support for under $200, but shipping makes it almost not worth it. However, if you could find the part through a US distributor you could save a few bucks.
                        Thanks! It doesn’t seem like they have any US sources.. but I found an aftermarket one on www.classiceuroparts.com I wonder if it’s the same part

Comment

Nice project. I read some of your other threads, It can be hard to stay motivated, but see this through you will enjoy it in the end.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on a factory core support.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some more progress today. All of these sections were grafted out of the junk car... I’m slowly stitching it all in there. You can see the booger weld mess of my tunnel patching. I cut the pieces with too fat of gaps and it caused everything to get messy... i had to lay down piles of weld in places to plug up holes that were burning through... I’ve ordered one of those copper backing plate tools which you lay over the backside of the panel and it helps to get a better weld when you are welding up holes... hopefully that helps me clean this mess up a little before i grind it down seam sealer it and undercoat it. After all is said and done, none of the repairs will be visible hopefully. The section I patched in that holds the sliding trans mount studs will be pretty obvious to a keen eye, since the part inside the rail had to be zapped together and it’ll be tough to clean up to make “pretty” Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Attached Files

Comment

So the patch that i put on my tunnel to fix the gashed up sheetmetal, ended up being a mess since presumably the Welder is messing with me intermittently and the sheetmetal being so thin, I kept burning through the metal, especially in the spots where my gaps were too large between the patch and the floor... so i made a new patch Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X