No announcement yet.

Big Al's Revenge: an OEM+, MTech1 325e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 is for your gauge. So we can rule that out.

13 is for you computer. If this was bad it could cause rich symptoms.

15 I believe this is your cold start switch. If this was bad and dumping fuel it could cause rich symptoms.

16 I believe this is your timing switch and I am not familiar with it.

Check your Bentley manual for proper way to test these 3 sensors.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

rzerob Thanks for the help, will do.

Will hopefully have an update soon.
      '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
        rzerob Thanks for the help, will do.

Will hopefully have an update soon.
        No problem. It is hard to diagnose a vehicle that you don't have in front of you. So take everybody's advice with a grain of salt. But everybody is just trying to help. I never mentioned the whole story with the bad coolant temp sensor. So here goes.

This guy comes into the shop with a complaint that his truck is accelerating on it's own some times other than that he says the truck is perfect. So I get this truck and take it for a test drive. It took a while before it started to do it but eventually it started acting up. And when I came to a stop I had to really hold the brakes down to keep it from going.

I didn't have much to go on but I noticed that the coolant gauge never really came up to temp. So I started there. Sure enough it was bad so I replaced that. Then I ran it to make sure it was working. While I was waiting for it to warm up I heard a light hiss coming from the engine. So I did a smoke test and found a tiny crack on one of the vacuum lines. It took a day to get the line but I replaced that too. And that is the story.

With the tiny bit of air from the vacuum leak and the tiny bit of fuel from the coolant temp reading cold it was enough to make it feel like the accelerator pedal was being pressed slightly. So I hope that helps. You should definitely do a smoke test too. There are some good cheap smoke testers on ebay. Good luck.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Good news and bad news:

Good news: I figured out the idle issue.

I started the afternoon by taking off the throttle body and readjusting the TPS. I had done it by feel the last time I installed it (basically had it so that I could feel the sensor click on just after opening the throttle). The harness was giving the appropriate voltage (5V) and the continuity between pins on the sensor was intact. I adjusted it the correct way according to the Bentley (continuity should stop with the throttle open between 0.2-0.6mm for pin 2 and at 10 degrees before WOT for pin 3). Didn't seem to be very different than where I had it, but I digress.

Checked a few more hoses, got the throttle body and air box back on, and bled the coolant system since maybe there was air in it messing with the sensors.

Started the car and still had the same idle as before. Unplugged and replugged the ICV harness a couple times, initially no change. Then I got pissed and really jammed the harness on as far as it would go and... she purred like a kitten. Well actually more like a sewing machine but you get the picture. I'll be damned. The ICV harness was just a little loose, I'll have to find a way to tighten it up so it doesn't wiggle it's way back off from engine vibration.

My nemesis:

The other good news: I learned a little more about the car and how to test some of the electrical components. Also, I took the car for a long spin around the neighborhood. The brakes felt much better without the car pulling under high idle, and the steering and suspension felt nice and tight (I was a little more liberal with the "wheeeee" factor now that I knew the engine was running right). I'm really liking the new steering with the ZHP rack, and the Bilstein B8/H&R Sports are more than comfortable enough for daily driving but handled well in some tighter turns.

The 3.25lsd definitely seems to have given acceleration some pep without keeping the rev's too high at speed. Ends up keeping the revs in a more responsive range, for sure one of the best upgrades for an Eta. Thanks again Agent, everything feels nice and smooth. Can't wait to see how it does with a 5 speed and the Conforti chip. And without the engine revving crazily I was better able to hear the exhaust note, nice and throaty with some feed back burbles when revving it up. Haven't noticed any drone at all but haven't been on the highway yet. Plan to take it to work tomorrow so we shall find out.

The bad news: I spent about $400 in likely needless money fixing a loose connector. At least now I know the ICV is brand new, and that the ICM solders are all also fresh.

Stage 1 of Big Al's revenge is officially complete!

Now that I have the car up and running for the first time in almost a year, I want to drive it around a bit and enjoy it again.

What I hope to accomplish for Stage 2 soon (hopefully by the end of the spring):
          • Remove the comfort seats, carpet, and essentially all interior bits to check for any rust
          • 5-speed swap and associated maintenance while the interior is already out
          • Timing belt/water pump, camshaft seal replacement, and a new manual radiator and new hoses while the coolant system is drained
          • Clean and redye the carpet and rear parcel tray
          • Swap in my crack-free dash
          • Clean out the IHKS and likely replace the heater core while the dash is out
          • A/C system overhaul
          • Fix a few of the black vinyl trim pieces where the vinyl has started to separate
          • Reupholster the sport seats and swap them in
          • Install my Continental head unit as well as the Premium Sound setup
          • Install some houndstooth door cards
          • Have a few other goodies, but don't wanna give it all away...

Stay tuned, and thanks for your comments and advice!
          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Comment

Well done on sorting idle.. strangely I was having same problem and after unplugging and re-plugging icv a few times to try figure if was working or not (had already cleaned it once) idle sorted itself!

Like you I need to figure out how to make sure it stays connected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done! Will there be a photo shoot to commemorate stage 1?

Looking forward to stage 2!

Comment

This is such a great thread. Looking forward to seeing you and the car in May!
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Awesome details. Glad you got that idle sorted out. Sucks you had to spend that much money for something so simple but as we all know...that's part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Secniv
                    Like you I need to figure out how to make sure it stays connected?
                    If I rig something up (and it actually works) I'll make sure to post it up

Originally posted by mike.bmw
                    Well done! Will there be a photo shoot to commemorate stage 1?
                    Ha yes, I guess a photo shoot is in order. As you can probably tell from the thread so far I'm not quite as artistically talented with the camera as many of you are on here. It was dark by the time I was done joyriding yesterday and today it was raining when I left work, but I think some good weather is in the forecast for the weekend.

Originally posted by agent
                    This is such a great thread. Looking forward to seeing you and the car in May!
                    Sooooo I initially wasn't going to be able to make it to the Vintage and was super bummed, however I adjusted my schedule so that I can make it for the first two days! Really looking forward to it

Originally posted by rjsimeon
                    Sucks you had to spend that much money for something so simple but as we all know...that's part of it.
                    Not the first time and definitely won't be the last, just glad it's all working as it should. Forgot how much fun these cars are to drive

Comment

Quick update: been doing a few small projects to button everything up as I prepare for the full interior tear-down.

It's officially pollen season in NC. If you ain't from 'round these parts, here's what your car could look like after spending an hour or so outside:

Not my car but you get the idea, for that reason I've kept the toys garaged for the most part. I remember when I first moved down here from CT I was APPALLED with the pollen, you can see plumes of yellow "smoke" when cars drive by. I decided it a better time than ever to replace the air filter and decided to go with a K&N:

Anyway, once the pollen season is over (or at least less extreme) I'll do a nice little photo shoot, in the meantime I wanted to finish sprucing up the trim:

I used Eastwood plastic resurfacer for a few items including the battery cover, front grilles, kidneys, and license plate frame:

Tough to capture in the pic, but they were definitely chalky, a few shades off from the newly refinished bumper trim

They came out looking brand new, made such a huge difference when installed:

I cleaned all the trunk carpeting and was really pleased with the lack of rust including none to the battery tray. The plastic tray was still there and protected the metal nicely:

The trunk tools weren't so unscathed and I'll be repainting them soon.

I also finally got around to refinishing the door mouldings. At some point someone (OK fine it was me I admit it) got some wax on them and went over them with a buffer and it impregnated the wax into the plastic. Forgot to take a before pic, but they looked bad. I refinished using SEM trim black and they came out great:

I ended up buying brand new mouldings (aside from the driver door which is backordered) which I plan to replace along with a few other exterior trim once I get the car painted. Here's the finished SEM painted piece (above) next to the new OEM finish (below)

Slightly darker and shinier, but honestly it looked fantastic once mounted up. I may even prefer the darker painted color:

Now I just need to paint the rocker panels which I hopefully plan to do this weekend.

In preparation for the 5-speed swap, I decided to clean up the g260 that has been sitting in the garage covered in filth:

A few cans of engine degreaser, a dremmel, and some wire brushes later and it came out looking pretty spiffy:

Lighting in the garage isn't the most photogenic (as I'm sure you can tell by now), but it was nice and shiny.

Been driving around to and from work a lot, and at 80mph the tach is right around 2600rpm with the new 3.25lsd. Might be a little higher with the 5 speed based on the gearing but overall not bad. It isn't too loud or high up on the rev range to totally kill my MPG and will be a ton more fun.

Last thing I've been putting off is fixing my passenger door handle, I thought removing the door card was gonna be a way bigger hassle than it was but the job was done in 10 mins, super easy.

Every time I take my fiancee out in the car, it gives me the opportunity to walk around and open the door for her and APPEAR gentlemanly. Major points scored either way.

The handle pretty much disintegrated in my hands:

I was also pleased with how intact the weatherproofing was underneath:

Luckily I had a nice spare:

Replaced the bung and we were done:

Now when I decide to open the door for her I'll actually BE a gentleman. I guess it'll just depend on how date night goes...

Last news for this post: I ordered my seat reupholstery kit. I had initially intended on going with LSeat.com as their price is absurdly cheap for leather. My hangup with them was that their colors are not 100% OEM matching. After reviewing various DIY's/builds and speaking with a few members (namely Pootis) I decided to go with Autoberry as his seats come out exceptionally. I did end up opting for leather over vinyl. Once I get the kit in and mounted up I'll post up a writeup/review.

Driving the car around lately has been a blast, but I keep getting the itch to just go ahead and get the manual swap done. May end up being a little sooner rather than later...
                      Last edited by Albie325; 04-15-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I've been putting together a parts list for the manual trans, and the only thing I can't find anywhere is the shift carrier mount bracket. It's an early model plate-style shift carrier and the trans is the earlier version without the tab for the later, rod-style shifter so I have to use the plate style carrier.

Anyone have one for sale??? Part #6 in the diagram:

All other parts are still available for purchase. If I can't find one I'll have to make one, but I don't have any idea of sizing and would prefer to buy the actual part.

Let me know, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks guys

Comment

This car is so clean and you do such great things to it. Thank you for sharing. The story is very cool too!
                          '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

FWIW, My idle isn't perfect, but putting some miles on the car really helped it out.

I can run the A/C when cold without it stalling out, and it starts with first turn of the key every time.
                            I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl
                              This car is so clean and you do such great things to it. Thank you for sharing. The story is very cool too!
                              Thanks, I hope to have something a little more exciting than repainting the trim soon!

Originally posted by Melon
                              FWIW, My idle isn't perfect, but putting some miles on the car really helped it out.

I can run the A/C when cold without it stalling out, and it starts with first turn of the key every time.
                              Glad to hear it, mine has been running really well and I think the last thing to tighten up the idle will be the oil pan gasket. The A/C is also high on my to-do list or I won't be able to drive it much with the summers down here. Good reason to git 'er done.

Comment

Old car with A/C is fantastic.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X