Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan's Hennarot 318is (s54, slicktop conversion, MT2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the carpet in today and finally mounted the e46 gas pedal. I remember agonizing over that in the early days of the swap but once it all came together it was really obvious and easy.

Hopefully this week I'll have the interior buttoned up and get the front and rear glass in.

I figured out today that I screwed up with the headliner on the b-pillars... It is covering the holes for the nuts to secure the rear side windows in. I figure I have two options. I'm going to see if the shop can peel the headliner back and then re-glue it without totally messing it up. If they say that's a no-go then I'll just drill holes in the headliner and then plug them with black trim caps or something. That's probably something I'll have to address next week.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I scored a few critical parts from Patrick George's (Jalopnik) old e30 that got wrecked here in town. That car was in crazy good shape...but someone had already stripped the whole interior. The most important pieces I got were the weatherstripping for inside the windows.
      Patrick's from Jalopnik's e30

Prepped the side windows:

Dropped the front and rear glass in and now I'm working on the dang locking strip. This thing is a PITA.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Knocked out some big ones. Pushing really hard to get this prepped for Radwood next weekend.

All windows are in, headliner is totally buttoned up.

The last big hurdle is the mtech 2 skirts and door pods. Hope to knock that out this weekend.
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
          Progress is moving forward. 3D printer is up and running so next I need to design the mt2 sidemarker surrounds.
          I've been thinking about have something like this done for the side markers. A side marker delete:

ModBargains.com offers the Lowest Prices Online for parts, wheels & accessories from BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, Camaro's and more. Buy Online NOW or call 714-582-3330 to Save $$$.

Seems easier and cleaner than making a holder like OEM. Also which 3D printer did you end up buying?
          sigpic

Comment

Looking good man, can't wait to see it on the streets!

Comment

Insane work! ��
              -Erik
              '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
              I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Insane work! 👌
                -Erik
                '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                  I've been thinking about have something like this done for the side markers. A side marker delete:

ModBargains.com offers the Lowest Prices Online for parts, wheels & accessories from BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, Camaro's and more. Buy Online NOW or call 714-582-3330 to Save $$$.

Seems easier and cleaner than making a holder like OEM. Also which 3D printer did you end up buying?

I purchased an Anet A8 printer on Amazon. It's cheap ~$170 but it is completely DIY. It shows up in a hundred pieces and then you watch youtube videos with zero words to build it. If you are serious about it reach out to me and I can give you the full rundown on what to get. You really need to add a raspberry and other parts which bring the price up to $250. I still don't have it completely set up. Too focused on other parts of the car.
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I got the skirts and door pods mounted this weekend. Honestly, without drilling templates (I searched everywhere and couldn't find them) this wasn't easy. My lack of experience probably didn't help, but I'm happy with the way they turned out. It took me about 9 hours to get these things buttoned up.

Doing some test fitting:

All mounted up:

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Hennarot, one of the best red colors out there. nice work!
                      2008 E92 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic DCT Carbon Roof
                      1991 E30 318IS Sterling Silber
                      BMW CCA 531095

Comment

are the quarter panels being sanded in the photos?

I see orange peel and a dull finish which seems like you’re correcting some of the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                          are the quarter panels being sanded in the photos?

I see orange peel and a dull finish which seems like you’re correcting some of the paint.
                          Oh ya for sure. I sanded all the orange peel and I’m slowly polishing it back. I’m prioritizing getting it all back together since that process is pretty straightforward but crazy time consuming...
                          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Wing install
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Last push. I think I will still have lots of buffing/polishing to do but I'm aiming at getting it presentable without rushing it and making mistakes.

I don't know why I hadn't bought one of these to start. Best $35 ever spent

You can see it's progressing but still a lot more work to get all the sanding scratches out

I also had to ditch the 3D printing idea for the sidemarker surrounds. Just ran out of time. I bought thin sheets of ABS on Amazon. It is easy to cut with a box cutter and you can form it with a heat gun. I cut it into the right shape, painted it with SEM black, and then used 3M tape to mount them. I would love to have the OEM pieces but these will do...and it was only $20.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Looking good dude! Excited to see it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X