Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S14b23 Drivetrain overhaul and concours restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    I'm most impressed by the combination of speed AND quality. I firmly believe that anyone (given enough effort) can do a project either quickly or with high-quality workmanship. To pull off both at the same time is impressive. It means you have built a great network of guys who share the same fastidious attention that you do, which is NOT easy.

Love the pictures.
    ....and this is all being worked as a side job, outside of this I spend about 50-55 hours a week at the shop conducting normal business.

I'm really happy with how this project is coming along, and the owner seems so as well.

Originally posted by Melon View Post
    You zinc played the grounding strap.
    I wasn't really sure how well that would come out but it looked bad before so I tossed it in to see. Came out OK, but I'll probably run some heavy duty heat shrink over the braided portion.

This evening was build a diff night. Earlier in the day I soaked the case and carrier in the ultrasonic cleaner at work for an hour to get it sparkling clean inside and out. Given that this diff only has 40k on it and the bearings feel butter smooth we decided to leave them alone. Same with the clutches. I did test the break away torque of the clutches before teardown and found them above spec so that is that.

All of the components laid out, except the pinion shaft seal which I somehow overlooked ordering...

New OES side cover seals pressed in

Carrier suspended in the housing between both side covers with the back cover ready to go on (new bushing pressed in last week)

and all done

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

You can gap the splices 1/2'' or so if you have enough material so you don't have one big lump of splices in one spot.

I've been enjoying these E30 Revival threads!

Hmm, an early car?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Normally 100% I would stagger the splices, but the jacket they are retracted into is large enough diameter to fit them all so its of no matter.

Built out the power steering pump this evening with a ZF reseal kit.

and to show just how far its come.

Last edited by Jordan; 12-22-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Todays big project was building out the throttle bodies, which was a royal paint in my ass, mainly because I blew them apart so fast and failed to pay much attention or take useful pictures... whoops.

Scoured the internet for a bit and found a few helpful photos along with the ETK that helped me get it all back together right.

A reminder or from where we've come...

Comment

That vapor honing just is too gorgeous. I want to do the entire car with it.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Stunning work!

Comment

holy guacamole those ITBs are gorgeous
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Uhhh, why did you install the security caps on the air balance screws? Just so you can destroy the single use part and replace them the first time the engine is run to balance the TB's? ;)

For teh intarnet pictars???

Nice work Jordan, on reassembly.
                    -Chris
                    Below the radar...

Comment

You know I thought about that only after I'd snapped them on, but that said I took care to mark all of the linkage so it went back together in precisely the same orientation.

Syncing the throttles isn't in my scope of work on this project as I won't be the one installing the engine. I have the vacuum gauges needed to carry the work out if its needed of me after its installed however.

Comment

You know I thought about that only after I'd snapped them on, but that said I took care to mark all of the linkage so it went back together in precisely the same orientation.

Syncing the throttles isn't in my scope of work on this project as I won't be the one installing the engine. I have the vacuum gauges needed to carry the work out if its needed of me after its installed however.
                        Sometimes, you get on a roll and things happen. They are cheap, no big deal.
                        Just busting your chops for old times sake.
                        Below the radar...

Comment

Old times sake chop bustin' huh...

I remember when I went to visit your dad checking on my E21 following my curb-whack incident and you were plugging rust holes on your Lachssilber car with fiberglass and resin lol.

Comment

Old times sake chop bustin' huh...

I remember when I went to visit your dad checking on my E21 following my curb-whack incident and you were plugging rust holes on your Lachssilber car with fiberglass and resin lol.
                            Yup, and that worked just fine on a $1,000 E30 that already had a door replaced due to rust perforations at the bottom edge, (remember, i never paint matched the chrome trim to the rest of the shadowline?) with a small rust hole in the cowl from sitting under pine trees for 4 years before I bought it.

Anyways... back to your topic, less distractions.
                            Below the radar...

Comment

No lol, my memory isn't THAT good.

Comment

I just spent a good amount of time rebuilding my diff, painting the cover, cleaning everything up...

and still looks like garbage compared to a Jordan-factory-fresh assembly.

Mouth watering.
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                My M60 V8 swap thread here
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X