No announcement yet.

1988 325is Alpineweiss II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the rust was in more detrimental spots I would be worried, but from what I have found so far I'm not.

The trailer itself was nice, it has a breaking system that helps save the trailer if something happens, but it seemed a bit long/heavy for what it needs to be. Loading was easy and it has the tie downs included. The Durango we used has a tow hitch that was a bit low and put the whole front of the trailer really low to the ground, maybe 2" of clearance. We just kept it at 55mph or below like the trailer asks for and we went 30 or so miles no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
      That is 100% Cardinal red. It was the only interior offered in 1988, in red.

For reference...

0162 "Cherry" red (1984 spec)
      0208 "Taurus" red (1985-1987)
      0256 "Cardinal" red (1987-1989)
      0324 "Crimson" red (1990+)
      aren't those production dates though? That means an 88 made in late 87 could easily have tarus vs cardinal. I've seen cardinal and it's much brighter than tarus.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        aren't those production dates though? That means an 88 made in late 87 could easily have tarus vs cardinal. I've seen cardinal and it's much brighter than tarus.
        These are referring to model years.

Taurus is really dark. Cardinal, when new and not sun faded, is really vibrant.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
          isn't this fuel hose supposed to run under the intake manifold, up the back of the engine and then to the fuel rail? I've never seen it run like this... I'm not sure it's an issue at all, but mine has little clips that directs the hose that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
            These are referring to model years.

Taurus is really dark. Cardinal, when new and not sun faded, is really vibrant.
            alright. I just am having my mind melt right now cause I've said tarus since forever. Even in my COC it says tarus...

Comment

1988 325is Alpineweiss II

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              isn't this fuel hose supposed to run under the intake manifold, up the back of the engine and then to the fuel rail? I've never seen it run like this... I'm not sure it's an issue at all, but mine has little clips that directs the hose that direction.

I believe you are correct on this. Something seemed off when I was taking out the fuel rail, I actually don't think I have ever seen this orientation fuel rail. I've only seen the nipple under the FPR by Cylinder 1.
              Last edited by mbonanni; 03-04-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

1987/1988 325i had the fuel rail with feed at the rear of the cylinder head and return at the FPR (front of the engine, obviously). 1989 and later had feed and return at the front of the cylinder head.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Austin comin in with the facts again, thanks!

Not much of an update today, no pictures at least. I got the fan clutch tool and was able to get the motor taken down to the point I just need to reinstall the new timing belt parts. This is where I can’t decide which direction to go tho..

Option 1:
                  Get injectors rebuilt and put new waterpump/ timing belt and associated gaskets back on, call it a day.

Option 2:
                  Get injectors rebuilt and put new waterpump/ timing belt and associated gaskets back on as well as pull the head to do a head gasket (I have a spare goetze head gasket sitting in storage), do exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets, and clean the block/pistons/intake.

The only thing thats stopping me from doing option 2 is the cost really. New head bolts, intake/exhaust gaskets, pressure test and decking the head. What, another $200 or so, is it worth it? The current head gasket seeems good based off the condition of the coolant. Hmmmm

Comment

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Comment

Oh hell yeah, congrats Marco. I'm dealing with some rust under my battery tray right now as well, maybe we should grab some brews and tackle them together for moral support

:-)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                        If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
                        Truue. I put it all back together a few days ago. Just waiting for my injectors to come back from being rebuilt and I can give it a start.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                        Oh hell yeah, congrats Marco. I'm dealing with some rust under my battery tray right now as well, maybe we should grab some brews and tackle them together for moral support

:-)
                        Sina! How are things? Thanks man, my battery tray was also pushed up from the bottom, looks like the PO hit a big rock or used a jack on it. Pretty sure cut/weld is my only solution, but I'll have to look at it more. Next time I'm over in your area I'll give you a call so we can catch up.

Comment

Now for bit of an update.

I ordered new front and rear brake pads/rotors, rear mr2 kyg agx's, and Lseat front leather reupholster kit. I will be ordering rear shocks and new suspension bits over the next couple weeks to get this back on the road asap. While I wait for parts in the mail I've decided to redo all my trim pieces and get the seats ready for recovering.

Rear bumper/surrounds off, appears theres a dent in the valence that you can't really see with the bumpers on.

Started to get a little bit dark, but got the front bumper/surrounds off as well

Vacuumed the interior, it was already very clean but I wanted to get a better idea of any dirty areas I will need to focus on. I am going to look around to see if there are any carpet rejuvenation remedies or something as well.

Not quite sure how I want to prep the plastics before I paint them, any suggestions? I already bought SEM trim paint
                          Last edited by mbonanni; 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Interior carpet looks great.

Comment

Use all purpose cleaner, or degreaser, to scrub and clean any dirt off.

Then you use IPA or paint prep to remove any film left over.

Let it air dry before spraying the trim paint. Works flawlessly for me everytime.

Comment

Well I did sand, primer, and paint the bumper surrounds but lost the phone with pictures, so that will have to hold off till later.

Small update tho, the motor is all back together and running. There is a check engine light on and it stutters every few minutes at idle, but other than that everything is ticking away.

I ordered new front seat covers from lseat a couple weeks ago that should be here thursday so I will start recovering the sport seats when those come in. I've also ordered all new brakes and some KYB Camaro AGX front struts that came in last week to start getting her ready for the road. I'll be searching for rear shocks, coilover springs, and camber plates over the next couple weeks as well.

I really need to start taking picture with a better camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X