Happy Father’s Day to all of the dads out there! In the spirit of the holiday I figured this to be the perfect time to begin chronicling my dad’s latest project. I know a lot members enjoy some non-E30 content every now and again, and since we are pretty excited about this one I decided we should share the fun.

Backstory: Back around the time E30 M3s were new, my pops was beating up on them at local SoCal SCCA autox and track events here in SoCal in this:

(Funny enough, he often recalls not being very impressed with the E30 M3’s performance when they were first introduced. What’s that old saying about opinions again?) :loco:

Unfortunately, about 20 years ago, young kids, a lack of seat time and a few too many boxes stacked on the roof took their toll. The white 510 was sold-off for what we now realize was a sinfully low price given its immense sentimental value. We often wax poetically about tracking that car down and bringing it back to its former glory, however, that’s a topic for a different thread.

Fast-forward years later, Dad gets a call from a work contact saying he knows of a project Datsun he may be interested in. Given the astronomical price levels these rusty old econo-boxes have achieved in recent years we weren’t super optimistic. However, after a quick exchange of a few photos that included fender flares and an interesting looking valve cover, our interest was sufficiently piqued. After hearing an asking price that was too good to be true, a deal was struck. My dad was once again the proud owner of a 1969 510, with, uniquely enough, a JDM Toyota 18RG twin cam engine sitting in its bay.

The photos below were taken the day the car was towed from the previous owner’s yard. The car has come a long way since, and I look forward to continuing to document progress. Enjoy!