Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oekundar
    replied
    Good news and bad news...

    Good news...the car drives/shifts great

    Bad news...something is leaking and dripping on the exhaust...have no idea what it is...but its fairly serious...

    So-so news....4.10 diff on a manual is eh...1st gear is completely useless...but I knew that was coming...

    washed and took some pics today...enjoy!



    ended up wetsanding the hood a bit and hitting it with the dual action:





    Other pics:





    Took some primer/paint to wheels after powerwashing:





    Got tires mounted, will get them on the car once I get studs and spacers...wheels are et35 so I'm going 15mm all around.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    I should have an M 5-spd knob + boot somewhere that i took off my track car.
    I think you have my number...give me a call...well I might bring the vert up to the Coffee/Tea & Chat if there is one this Saturday.

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Success...she's down and went around the block once...brought her back...still getting some smoke from underneath but didn't get the opportunity to let it run...figure I'd do that either tomorrow or Thursday...either way...car shifts great...need a shift knob though...LOL...oh and shift boot...how could I overlook such important parts?

    Thanks to all for the help thus far...soon unto the next phase....wheels/body....
    I should have an M 5-spd knob + boot somewhere that i took off my track car.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Success...she's down and went around the block once...brought her back...still getting some smoke from underneath but didn't get the opportunity to let it run...figure I'd do that either tomorrow or Thursday...either way...car shifts great...need a shift knob though...LOL...oh and shift boot...how could I overlook such important parts?

    Thanks to all for the help thus far...soon unto the next phase....wheels/body....

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    hmmm all sounds kosher then.. guibo/csb/u-joint all in good shape?
    Yup found the problem this morning...(5:40am)- :D

    When I put the car on jackstands, the rear mounting points are the rear subframes, so when I sit in the car, my weight combined with bad subframe bushings causes the body to further compress, thus causing the rubbing, with my fat ass out of the car, it's smooth and silky! Problem #2 solved...to confirm my theory, I will change the mounting points tonight and see the result. :)

    Ok...now for the shifter issue here.....

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    hmmm all sounds kosher then.. guibo/csb/u-joint all in good shape?

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    are you using the stock shifter? or short shifter?
    I'm using the e36 M3 stock shifter and shifter arm

    Originally posted by kishg
    black dude.. black :)
    LOL

    Originally posted by kishg
    hang on a sec, don't you need to swap the ds when you do a 5-spd swap? i recall something like that on levent's car..
    I did do the drive shaft, that is why everything fits..the auto driveshaft is too long...

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    hang on a sec, don't you need to swap the ds when you do a 5-spd swap? i recall something like that on levent's car..

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Uh...what color are your nuts?...e'er nevermind...:giggle:
    black dude.. black :)

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    are you using the stock shifter? or short shifter?

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    haha.. my bad.. your copper colored nuts made me think they were rusty :)
    Uh...what color are your nuts?...e'er nevermind...:giggle:

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by BrewCity11
    Damn dude! Lot going on here since last i checked. Wish i could come lend a hand, but you've seen all the projects we have here.

    Hopefully we can do a vert cruise sometime soon. Can't wait to see yours in person. Let us know if you need any misc odds and ends when you're finished. The parts cars have come in handy with Vlad's reassembly. Lot's of insignificant pieces were robbed from them.

    Thanks Turk...I may take you up on that offer sooner than later...:)

    Progress:



    The paints not as good as it looks



    I got the tach working again, by tapping the cluster...LOL...go figure

    On another note...had everything buttoned up and clutch Bled...here is the best DIY for that:



    Thank you YOUTUBE!!

    Ok...so I'm thinking everything is ready to go and I decide to shift through the gears with it still on the jackstand and what do I find?...2 THINGS Wrong!!!


    1. There is alot of play in the selector rod from side to side, causing it to rub against the drive shaft at certain angles/gears. I thought the problem was that I used the lower mount for the rear shifter arm, come to find out, that didn't help as it still rubs due to play...here is a video I took, hopefully it is clear enough:



    2. I'm hearing a clunking from the rear, sounds like its around the drive shaft/diff area. I can't think that the diff would go bad from doing a swap. One thing that I did do was leave the second half of the drive shaft attached while I was working on the motor/tranny...so maybe I damaged it when I pushed the car back in the garage...any thoughts?

    3. Is the selector rod on the right side here?



    Thanks all!

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Um...I did...changed them all out...the studs and nuts :) Note: THere is one end that is meant for the engine, its marked with the "E"...lol...figured that out!

    haha.. my bad.. your copper colored nuts made me think they were rusty :)

    Leave a comment:


  • BrewCity11
    replied
    Damn dude! Lot going on here since last i checked. Wish i could come lend a hand, but you've seen all the projects we have here.

    Hopefully we can do a vert cruise sometime soon. Can't wait to see yours in person. Let us know if you need any misc odds and ends when you're finished. The parts cars have come in handy with Vlad's reassembly. Lot's of insignificant pieces were robbed from them.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    purdy manifold but i'd have used new hardware :) looks good though.
    Um...I did...changed them all out...the studs and nuts :) Note: THere is one end that is meant for the engine, its marked with the "E"...lol...figured that out!

    Leave a comment:

Working...