Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Well folks this will be the thread that will track the progress of my e30 Vert rebuild/restore. The car has been dubbed the "Red Oktober" as it was a never ending search for the car, which finally ended, much like in the movie.

I picked the car up from Vlad, or rather he delivered it to me. Thanks VLAD! (thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...highlight=vlad) Thanks to Levent for checking it out for me as well!

The sunday after delievery the car was washed and put in the garage where it sat for the next 2 weeks.

After briefly going over the car, I decided that it was best to start my work on the car with the interior and work my way out, since the car does run, although it needs a tune up and exhaust fixed.

Getting down to the interior I knew the entire thing had to go (Vlad told me prior)...and OUT they came. I sourced a tan sports interior and promptly picked up the seats which were recovered (pictures coming). As the seats came out it was clear that the owner of the car, prior to Vlad did not take care of this car at ALL, but after 20 years.

Nonetheless, we press-on.

Well now I attack the center console and carpet, figuring if I'm going to do this right, lets see what is under this bad boy.

Center Console Out:

Not wanting to take out the heater core (box), I made some cuts in the carpet to help with ease of removement (is that a word?)...oh well out the carpet came as well as the rear panels, and what did we find?...you guessed it ANTIFREEZE, guess I should have just pulled that core..oh well.

Here are some pictures after pulling out the carpet and panels...and what you see on the driver's side is dirt/dust caked on.

Carpet out:

So the weapon of choice for the crud is:

Spray nine is awesome (thanks L for the recommendation) and not as abrasive as Simple Green

See how dirty this thing was

After Cleaning:

Soft top cover
    Before:

After:

Speaking of softop, I neglected to say that I had pulled the hardtop off at this point and she's sitting in the garage, she needs some TLC, and a new headliner, but I'll tackle that later....so here is the condition of the softtop.

so while pulling it out, I got distracted by the wife and here is the result::?

Found these when I took off the side panels
    :hitler:

And I did find some rust underneath the driver's seat, but I should be able to fix that easily:

I think I've got a top sourced, so I'm on that as well....well more to come thats all I've got for now :dot:
    BMWCCA #389756

subscribed

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

nice your cars gonna be ballin man

Comment

Looking good, this is going to be a nice project to watch...
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

This looks like it will be a great project to watch! btw, was it hard to take a picture with your left hand?

91 m42 ftw

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
            Needs more duct tape . :D

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
            so while pulling it out, I got distracted by the wife and here is the result::?
            So you backhanded her for distracting you ? :p

Those stickers are from the rear speakers .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by M42Stephen View Post
              This looks like it will be a great project to watch! btw, was it hard to take a picture with your left hand?
              The picture was easy...I've got huge hands...sometimes too big for projects I undertake.

Teaguer...I actually got sympathy from the wife for her miscue. But I was thinking the same thing about that top...sheesh...I thought I had sourced a replacement top, unfortunately it was sold....so I'm just going to hold off...besides I have the hardtop :D
              Last edited by oekundar; 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM.
              BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Update:

So last night involved the removal and cleaning of the door cards and the rear side cards as well as the passenger side seat.

Before pictures:

For some reason the camera was acting up so the color on the seats look off...regardless here you go:

same seat:

As I was working on the side cards and door cards, I decided that I would just pull the vinyl off as it was all ripped and I am planning to have them customized anyways...Thanks goodness for fiberglass/plastic side panels...

Here is one nekked (*naked*)

vinyl removed:

Pulling the front door cards was interesting as I was expecting the vapor barrier but not the black barrier of sorts...in any case since I'm trying to clean everything...they had to go:

In a pile....

Doors are nekked as well now:

As you can see above I put the seats back in the car...just for now to get the out of the way. I'm sure the wife is enjoying the mess that I'm creating...shoot for better or worse! :D

I was actually quite surprised as to how little there is to the door cards...dunno what I was expecting...

I plan on adding sound deadening material to either the doors or door cards....time will tell.

thats all for now...
                BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Good progress. Only hint would be to not go too crazy when pulling everything out/cleaning everything, you might end up damaging/loosing something that turns into a pita down the road.

best of luck,
                  Julien
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
                    Good progress. Only hint would be to not go too crazy when pulling everything out/cleaning everything, you might end up damaging/loosing something that turns into a pita down the road.

best of luck,
                    Julien
                    Good point Julien....I'm trying not to be too anal about it, but clearly so far the things I've found needed to be addressed. As far as the interior I'm pretty much done, once the carpet is cleaned, and the panels are recovered. Then its on to the important stuff such as the engine bay and clearly the brakes/suspension....and exhaust
                    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Subscribing

Comment

Nice. I plan on restoring my vert too after I am done with school in 2009. Problem is mine is developing considerable body rust.

Good Luck!

p.s. removement - I think you meant removal ;)
                        Last edited by Ladzio; 12-14-2007, 02:43 PM.
                        Former Ride:

Comment

Originally posted by Ladzo View Post
                          Nice. I plan on restoring my vert too after I am done with school in 2009. Problem is mine is developing considerable body rust.

Good Luck!

p.s. removement - I think you mean removal ;)
                          Rust is no good....and...removement sounds better...:p
                          BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Update:

This weekend went to the local fabric store (Joann's) and picked up some vinyl in my first attempt to recover an interior panel...I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Close up of vinyl:

Vinyl and weapon of choice:

Finished product

Just a test fit...not sure if I'll keep it this way or keep them all black...

All in all i'm semi-pleased with the results...I will be recovering both panels...for some reason the glue didn't hold some places, but I plan on taking my time again with each panel...again!
                            BMWCCA #389756

Comment

I'm surprised at how well that seems to mold to the shape of those rear panels...I've worked with vinyl and spray glue before on a flat panel and not gotten as clean a result!

Comment

Working...
                              X