Surgery for the track car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery for the track car

The 87 325is track car had some rust forming in the floorboard. I went to jack up the car from the square lift point, which then went up into the carpet. So began the surgery:
    • Cut nice big square area out of floor
    • Cut similar square, but ~1" bigger in all directions, out of parts car (89 325i)
    • Clean all the undercoating and paint from area
    • Discover rust in replacement panel (DOH!!!)
    • Clean away rust, find a 1" hole left over
    • Weld new metal into replacement panel
    • Weld panel into car (from underneath, so it overlaps)
    • Grind welds, seal it (used body filler)
    • Spray undercoating
    • Spray duplicolor red on inside, which is pretty close to zinno (close enough for a track car, anyway)

Obviously, this is far from professional, and was done in the spare time I have between full time work and school, to get a track car ready for the season. So don't bust my balls too bad

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Good job! I did the same with a bunch of mid 80's fords at my last Job. I failed to pay attention to details as much as you did.
    88 325 S-ETA --Wahwooweewah

Comment

Nice work, but im pretty sure thats NOT a jacking point.

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
        Nice work, but im pretty sure thats NOT a jacking point.
        Haha I was going to say the same thing .

Oh and Jordo would NOT approve . :D

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
          Haha I was going to say the same thing .

Oh and Jordo would NOT approve . :D
          That square is not a jacking point? I most often just use the frame rail anyway, but every shop I've ever been to has used that square.

Why wouldn't Jordo approve? I kept it red, no pink paint here...

Comment

Jordo got into an e-fight with this canuck about welding in patches in the floor. But, that's water under the bridge.

Good job on the fix though. Nice and strong.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

But this guy used pateches of what look like other e30's the other guy was using scrap.

Comment

I though Teaguer was referring to Jordon's respect for my Mark Kay Pink eta.

Comment

Sick build man. I would love to undergo a project like that. Nice work!
                  The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                    But this guy used pateches of what look like other e30's the other guy was using scrap.
                    It was me and I didn't weld in scrap metal, but brand new sheet metal same thickness as the original metal. Please don't post comments when you don't know what was used. You commented that welding in new pieces will make the car weaker - any comments this time or is it ok to weld in 20+ years old piece of metal versus brand sheet metal ?
                    gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Do yourself a favor and remove the rest of the sound deadening, a lot of hiding places for rust.
                      sigpic
                      DE's are a tease.
                      Build a racecar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorin View Post
                        It was me and I didn't weld in scrap metal, but brand new sheet metal same thickness as the original metal. Please don't post comments when you don't know what was used. You commented that welding in new pieces will make the car weaker - any comments this time or is it ok to weld in 20+ years old piece of metal versus brand sheet metal ?

Easy turbo.... Looks like you got a nice build going though! This kind of work is fun when it's not your daily. This was second body job, and since it was on my track car vs. the daily, I actuall really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
                          Do yourself a favor and remove the rest of the sound deadening, a lot of hiding places for rust.
                          Yep, it's already gone. I've found a very small amount of rust on the drivers side floorboard, but due to time constraints it's going to have to wait til next winter. I know it will grow, but I simply don't have the ability to fix it if I am going to get it back on the track for the two series that I run.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                            Easy turbo.... Looks like you got a nice build going though! This kind of work is fun when it's not your daily. This was second body job, and since it was on my track car vs. the daily, I actuall really enjoyed it.
                            Thank you and your repair job looks very good.
                            I would recommend applying primer before applying paint and undercoating.
                            gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Zorin View Post
                              Hey amigo, by scrap I meant "non e30 component" material. Scrap, new, whatever. Bottom line is you used peices of metal, wheras he used peices of e30. Pull th pompasasity out of your attitude. For fcuks sake, Jessie James makes tanks/frames out of "Scrap/Bulk" so don't take it to the butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X