• Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice progress!
    keep us posted.

Comment

Touring?

Comment

Sweet. Once you get the engine out and the parts cleaned, things will go back together quickly! The engine looks disgusting now, but once everything's washed and painted, it'll look great!

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

what are you looking timewise to get this thing back on the road?

Comment

Progress. Nice man. I'd recommend just popping it on an engine stand and stripping the block down. I just did that to my M42, and it's nice piece of mind to get in there and replace every gasket/seal and clean every part individually.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by guitardude View Post
              what are you looking timewise to get this thing back on the road?
              hopefully by the next picnic. it wont be "done" but at least drivable i hope. money is the issue really right now (isnt it always?)

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
              Progress. Nice man. I'd recommend just popping it on an engine stand and stripping the block down. I just did that to my M42, and it's nice piece of mind to get in there and replace every gasket/seal and clean every part individually.
              thats the plan!!

Comment

As per the title, over 50% is done. The ants are all gone. :)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                  hopefully by the next picnic. it wont be "done" but at least drivable i hope. money is the issue really right now (isnt it always?)

thats the plan!!
                  nice! i don't think these cars are ever done, but i can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

Does metric mechanic to a core charge (send them your long block and you get a refreshed one) or are you getting the parts to rebuild it yourself?
                    Chris
                    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by cramer View Post
                      Does metric mechanic to a core charge (send them your long block and you get a refreshed one) or are you getting the parts to rebuild it yourself?
                      ill be sending them my head. thats all if i go with the kit. ill have to rebuild the block myself. if i went with the whole motor id send them the whole thing.

Comment

alright opinion time.

im stuck with a interesting debacle for what motor build to go with.

im kind of trying to stay under $4000 for the parts involved in the build. so answers like "dude, totally go with the full 2500 race motor" or "get the alpha n and carbon blah blah blah" really wont apply here.

A. i go with the Metric 2400 sport kit. kit cost is $3300est. gives me 205hp.

Upsides: A $2000 metric head that i could use over any block id want down the road, new pistons, rings, hg, only have to bore out to a 2.4 from 2.3, still use stock crank, and did i mention a $2000 head built by Jim Rowe?

Downsides: still have to by rod and main bearings, all that and only a 205hp output.

B. Turner 2.5 stroker kit and use a VAC head. kit cost would be close to A, right around $3300. im not sure what the exact output would be but it lists "increases torque by 50ftlb" and im sure the hp output would be near 225-240 with the VAC head.

Upsides: more torque!, bigger displacement, i dont have to get near as much extra parts as the metric kit, wiseco pistons (not stock items)

Downsides: have to get rod bearings, fasteners, alot more machine work for the block, no $2000 Jim Rowe head :(

what cha think?

Comment

B

Comment

Since you are on a budget, I would choose option A-heck I would probably go with that option even if I wasn't on a budget as it sounds like a good overall deal to me.
                            Eric Giles
                            '20 M2 CS
                            '04 M3
                            '11 X5 35D
                            '87 325is
                            '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Daily = A as there is plenty more work to get done to make it driveable.
                              sigpic

Comment

Option A.

You don't want to know what the second option would cost you in the end. Try more like 8-10k by the time you're done with all the extra things you're going to need to get to make that work... for starters:
                                - evo AFM
                                - evo injectors
                                - evo chip
                                - 2.5 liter head gasket
                                - etc.

that's a couple of grand right there.

go with option A - i don't understand why you're still trying to change your solution. pick a plan an execute it.
                                PNW Crew
                                90 m3
                                06 m5

Comment

Working...
                                X