• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok guys, sorry to hijack your hijack, but no threadjacking :D

and my car isn't federalized.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      Well, the way actual euro cars are wired, they have city lights in the ellipsoid housings. The front indicators are just indicators. However, I don't have ellipsoids, housings, or city lights there. I was planning on having it work by blinking -off- if it's on, and blinking -on- of it's off. Because, you know, blinking is blinking.

So, with interior/city lights on, turn signal would look like this from outside:

-on----------------off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on----------------

and with interior/city lights off,

-off----------------on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off---------------

This is fairly simple to do, as all you have to do is XOR (exclusive OR) the two light inputs at the plug. Apparently, you can use a two-pole relay as a XOR gate. That's as far as I got before forgetting about it for a while. I think we might have drawn diagrams at each other, too.
      That's exactly how I thought of it as well, and I don't have ellipsoids either, just the H4s.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by punnzzells View Post
        I hate when people in the USA state that they have a " Euro " car.... ( no offense... ) after it's been federalized, it's been changed and isn't Euro in my opinion....
        What the hell are you talking about?

The guy put a euro front bumper on his car, I don't recall him saying it was an authentic euro car.

Federalized euro cars are still euro cars with random reflectors and other nonsense, it's not like they tack on db's on federalized cars.
        - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
        E36 325i sedan
        E30 325i sedan
        Volvo 945T

Comment

looks great, keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.
          Last edited by ZM Blue Devil; 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM.
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

ok i appreciate the you guys defending me but your junking up my thread :p

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
              ok guys, sorry to hijack your hijack, but no threadjacking :D

and my car isn't federalized.

How is your US spec 318i not fereralized?

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

el oh el
                - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
                E36 325i sedan
                E30 325i sedan
                Volvo 945T

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                  Well, the way actual euro cars are wired, they have city lights in the ellipsoid housings. The front indicators are just indicators. However, I don't have ellipsoids, housings, or city lights there. I was planning on having it work by blinking -off- if it's on, and blinking -on- of it's off. Because, you know, blinking is blinking.

So, with interior/city lights on, turn signal would look like this from outside:

-on----------------off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on----------------

and with interior/city lights off,

-off----------------on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off---------------

This is fairly simple to do, as all you have to do is XOR (exclusive OR) the two light inputs at the plug. Apparently, you can use a two-pole relay as a XOR gate. That's as far as I got before forgetting about it for a while. I think we might have drawn diagrams at each other, too.
                  not to threadjack but just in case anyone else was wondering... im lost at the "by blinking -off-" and everything after. anyway, resume with the build!
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

NA E30 indicators that also double as running lights are DUAL filliment bulbs, and are half-brightness when not signalling (filiment A), full brighness when signalling (filiment B). Wiring single filment bulbs as running lights will make them come on at full brightness using the only filiment it has, all the time. It's distracting. Late 90's caravans here in Canada are all wired this way for their DRLs. Annoying.

Comment

I have a couple side projects in between my front valence getting painted and my rear euro bumper.

First, I learned that having a passenger mirror in Europe was actually an option. You had to pay extra to have a passenger mirror. I thought it pretty cool. So I have ordered a Passenger Mirror delete plate and the NLA Power mirror switch without the change-over button. The Delete plate is still available and easy to find but the single power mirror switch is NLA and hard to find but after some deep hunting I have ordered one.

Second, I have always wanted to integrate heated mirrors into my e30 but it has been way to expensive to buy the heated mirror (wiring is easy and cheap). So I figure, since I will only have one mirror, now is the best time to integrate the heated mirror (singular). I love how euro the wide angle mirror is and don't want to get rid of it. Unfortunately my wide angle mirror is not heated. I checked with Blunt to see what the price for the heated wide angle mirror is and it is NLA. I thought about getting a regular heated mirror but that wasn't an option in my mind. So I drove down to the dealer where I know the guy at the parts counter and I had him check for me. He said in North America they are NLA. In Europe, there are roughly 30 wide angle heated mirrors left. I had him order me one :firehop: So I'm sure there are used heated wide angle mirrors somewhere in the world but I will have one of the only new ones. It was a lot of trouble to hunt the part down but you totally need wide angle heated mirrors in Socal Either way it's one of those rare parts that will make my car special so it's worth it.

My Euro Early model valence should arrive Friday and I will get it painted soon enough after I fix a few small dents in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr View Post
                        How is your US spec 318i not fereralized?
                        Yes, I am curious about this too? Did the DMV Exempt your car from federalization so that it would be uber cool an "euro"?????
                        Below the radar...

Comment

First, I learned that having a passenger mirror in Europe was actually an option. You had to pay extra to have a passenger mirror. I thought it pretty cool. So I have ordered a Passenger Mirror delete plate and the NLA Power mirror switch without the change-over button. The Delete plate is still available and easy to find but the single power mirror switch is NLA and hard to find but after some deep hunting I have ordered one.
                          I understand that you're trying to go über Euro with your car, but when it comes to removing safety features (like a side mirror) on your car, it really doesn't make the most sense. Especially considering that you're putting yourself into greater risk of being involved in an accident and possibly totalling the car you have spent a lot of time restoring.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                            Yes, I am curious about this too? Did the DMV Exempt your car from federalization so that it would be uber cool an "euro"?????
                            all American cars start out "federalized" so mine was american spec with sidemarkers on the diving boards and all. But now that I have the euro bumper it does not meet US standards. making it unfederalized.

I understand that you're trying to go über Euro with your car, but when it comes to removing safety features (like a side mirror) on your car, it really doesn't make the most sense. Especially considering that you're putting yourself into greater risk of being involved in an accident and possibly totalling the car you have spent a lot of time restoring.
                            Thanks dad, but I actually have never used my Passenger side mirror once in my life and you are only required to have mirrors (drivers side and rear view) so it's ok. :p

refer to this thread for more info: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...+mirror+delete
                            Last edited by Japandrew73; 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

You must be an AIG executive to have enough money to blow on euro wide-angle heated mirrors and special power mirror switches.

Comment

all American cars start out "federalized" so mine was american spec with sidemarkers on the diving boards and all. But now that I have the euro bumper it does not meet US standards. making it unfederalized.
                                Riiiiiiiight.

Keep hitting the kiddie crack pipe buddy.
                                Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                                X