This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
    Gonna save the HG, or resell it? I don't assume you plan on replacing it, but one never does know with you behind the helm.
    Why wouldn't I change it out? :D

And I did some research and saw the link you recommended to Jean, the stuff looks good, but I want the best quality so I'm going for the OEM stuff. Fine with me if I have to wait an extra day.

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post

Nice oil filter!!!

Comment

That hole in the foam is for the M42. Part of the intake sits up so high that there is physically no room for foam, so there is a cutout. A light was never installed in any market underhood that I have ever seen.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Can I get another shot of that oil filter from a different angle? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
            Can I get another shot of that oil filter from a different angle? :D
            now you're talking!

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
              now you're talking!
              Is that the elusive "euro filter" that I keep hearing about???
              Originally posted by Simon S
              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Originally posted by Mtriple View Post
                Is that the elusive "euro filter" that I keep hearing about???
                yeah. its been NLA for 10 years. he either meticulously cleaned/polished a used one or he got the last one out of botswana. either way, more pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
                  yeah. its been NLA for 10 years. he either meticulously cleaned/polished a used one or he got the last one out of botswana. either way, more pics!!
                  REALLY?! The shop I help out has a couple of these laying around IIRC. My boss is a neat freak and keeps everything. I'll see if I can snag some if he doesn't know what he has. MUHAHAHAHA!
                  -Pierre
                  1987 535is
                  1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                    REALLY?! The shop I help out has a couple of these laying around IIRC. My boss is a neat freak and keeps everything. I'll see if I can snag some if he doesn't know what he has. MUHAHAHAHA!
                    Quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                      That hole in the foam is for the M42. Part of the intake sits up so high that there is physically no room for foam, so there is a cutout. A light was never installed in any market underhood that I have ever seen.
                      lol, I was just messin with Andrew when I posted that. (although a underhood light would be nice)
                      turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                      Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
                        lul.

Comment

looking amazing
                          BMWs: 73 2002 sold, 83 320is totaled, 90 325ic sold, 04 X3 2.5i sold, 00 323it
                          Sveed: 82 Volvo 242 Turbo
                          Jap: 01 Honda S2000, 95 Toyota Land Cruiser, 05 Subaru WRX STi

Comment

Pleasantly surprised.

Edit:
                            Forgot to add that I was hammered too.
                            Last edited by e30nub; 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM.
                            -Pierre
                            1987 535is
                            1988 325is

Comment

Made some more progress on the engine harness today. All grounding points were filed down with needle files so there isn't any grounding problems. All broken plug housings were replaced, and a broken fuel injection relay plug housing was also replaced. Also got a new dipstick.

Old relay plug housing

New one (middle) connected to the others like the plug housings go together nice and neat. Relays themselves were also cleaned up

The only cracked plug housings besides the relay were the fuel injector plug housings. Every one was broken.
                              Old on left, new on right

The new shape of the plug housing that BMW has replaced is much easier to disconnect than the old style.

Also realized while taking the old ones off, that each had it's own tiny gasket. I was worried I'd have to go back to the dealer and order the gaskets, but the new plug housings actually come with a new gasket inside, pretty convenient

Also made a bit more progress on the instrument cluster today. In the feat to keep my instrument cluster NCPT (Non-coding plug type, with the Si board lights 5 green, 1 yellow, 3 red) I realized the reason my tach wasn't reading as high as it should, is the wrong coding peg is in the tach. Now, even though the early clusters are claimed to have no coding plug, there actually is a coding "peg" if you want to call it that. This little plastic peg looking thing with a number on the bottom. I know for sure of 3 different numbers on the bottoms. That number designates the 4-cyl, or 6-cyl feed to the tach. Besides the numbers, there are different cutouts that touch the right pins on the tach, although it's much easier to differentiate by using the numbers on the bottom.

On the left you have the 03, this is for the 4-cyl. On the right you have the 10, this is for the 6-cyl. I replaced my original 10 with the 03 and now the tach reads as should! Very nice to have an operable tach after not having one for 5 months! What confuses me though, is I've seen a picture of a coding "peg" with a 01. So that means there is a 03, a 10, and a 01. A 4-cyl, a 6-cyl, and what would the 01 be for??

Anyways, now that the Si board is working, and the tach is working, all that's left are the temp gauge and the gas gauge. Those are for another day. But once those are fixed, I'll be finished with the functional part of my cluster! But not the aesthetic part...

Comment

So are you getting this done at a shop, or doing it in your driveway?...

i MIGHT do something slightly similar to this. I found a rust-free 91 325i auto with 198k, its been sitting for about 5-10 years, with the valve cover off and misc parts ripped from it . I also found a running 325i convertible 5 speed for 500 with 160 k. i hate verts, so I might swap everything over and make that my senior project. But I have access to a lift for free.

What is your budget for this? and how are you going to afford this? I only ask because i want to do something similar to this. And your very inspiring seeing as we're around the same age.
                                1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                                1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                                1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                                X