No announcement yet.

My alpine e30 'vert project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbed the oil coolers on both swaps tonight. as well as the -10 supply line for the PS pump, and installed the 2 out of 3 underdrive pulleys that Bimmerworld sent me that will fit. :/

Photo by systemdelete, on Flickr

Comment

Did you install the transmission while the car was on jackstands, and with the engine in the car? How difficult was it, if so?

Comment

Originally posted by e30_luv_ View Post
        Did you install the transmission while the car was on jackstands, and with the engine in the car? How difficult was it, if so?
        It took around 20 min. and was pretty easy, I was likely above the curve though as have done it many times before, I had a spare set of hands, a 3/8 electric impact, a 36" 3/8" extension, and a set of snap-on e-torx wobbles. Cliff highlight's are to lift the front of the motor until the back of the engine is resting against the firewall, then install the transmission so you have more room to access the top bolts, then have an assistant hold the starter in place and guide the e-torx sockets onto the starter's bolts. (you'll be behind the trans at the other end of the 36" extension with this method) I suspect it should take most people around an hour assuming the flywheel/clutch is already installed and aligned.

Comment

Tonight I got my new shifter bits in and installed and I prepped a set of flow matched and rebuilt injectors.

Injectors installed on the intake ready to go on the car.

New shifter support with an e30 m3 shifter installed.

Comment

Just got home from volunteering to find that both my gauge panel and my ring and pinion were waiting for me on my doorstep despite the weather. :o

If the weather holds. I might just have a few hours worth of work I can do on the car come Saturday!

Comment

Finally got to work on the car a little today, buttoned up the brake hard lines, got the OBDII headers installed for the time being, cleaned up the exhaust and got it ready for modification/install, filled the car with oil, and PS fluid. Not much to look at, but it's starting to look like a motor.

Comment

So a friend who's into e30s stopped by and mentioned that I should post pics of my headers installed with the later style gaskets/heat shields. I guess I didn't realize that I haven't seen it before online, it's a good trick if your running stock manifolds as it cleans up the look of that side of the bay a good bit, and they help direct the heat from the manifolds away from the valve cover gasket.

Comment

I fully expect to see a photo of those shoes on the gas pedal when this is complete!
                  :-D
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

you sir are on tiger blood..... this is so WIN. very nice and top notch, I am soo jealous of your snap on tool box!
                    my build here ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=lemans+blue

Comment

Thanks, for the compliments guys, my project is on pause again for a little bit again while I modify the rear subframe. In the meantime I have yet another e30 m3 in need of a heart transplant. At least my e30 has a friendly stable mate for a few weeks. :)

Comment

Finally got back to working on my car for the time being.

Sat.- (thanks to Chris and Elvirb!)
                        I installed the intake manifold, front subframe, tie-rod ends, and most of the front euro bumper.(Euro headlights and grill went back in as well.)

Also the wiring happened tonight, and I got the throttle working. (Hope to finish the brake pedal mods tomorrow night and reinstall the clutch pedal, then bleed the brakes and install the new clutch slave cylinder.)

For the record because I'm sure I won't remember years from now and someone will surely ask how I wired my guages. I ended up adding 4 circuits to my transplanted x20 for oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust gas temp, and wide-band o2.

Comment

Hey could you post a part number for those heat shields?

Great progress :up:
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                            Hey could you post a part number for those heat shields?

Great progress :up:
                            Thanks, I'm just happy to be back to working on it.

Heat shield exhaust gaskets are 11-62-1-732-969

They need some minor modification(drill a few holes for studs that weren't used on the m54) to work on early motors but are worth the effort IMHO.

Comment

Tonight I didn't have much time but I got the engine fuel rail cover trimmed and the m3 wiring harness covers as well. I also replaced the last rubber hose in the engine bay that hadn't been replaced.(the feed line from the brake reservoir to the clutch master cylinder)

Comment

Hi killer project !! I'm sure it's in your post some where but on the harness you are replacing the chassis side c101 w/ E36 X20 or ?? thanks for the great wiring tutorial now if i new which end is which !
                                My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                                X