My alpine e30 'vert project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
    Hi killer project !! I'm sure it's in your post some where but on the harness you are replacing the chassis side c101 w/ E36 X20 or ?? thanks for the great wiring tutorial now if i new which end is which !

Yes, in the pictures I am replacing the chassis side of the c101 with the e36 x20.

Comment

Thanks ^ and thanks for the post in M50 swap thread that got me to your project.
      any reason not to put C101 on E36 harness and not change chassis side ? great heads up about wiring in futures for gauges
      My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Thanks ^ and thanks for the post in M50 swap thread that got me to your project.
        any reason not to put C101 on E36 harness and not change chassis side ? great heads up about wiring in futures for gauges
        I would leave the c101 and modify the harness if I thought it were likely I would want an m20 back in the car. Going forward it is far more likely that should something happen to my m50 I would replace it with another m50 variant and having the x20 wired to the chassis would simplify the swap. In fact all the mods along the way have been working in this direction. for example the manual brake conversion not only clears the m50's manifold it also clears the s50b32's should I want to run one in the future. . .

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
          I would leave the c101 and modify the harness if I thought it were likely I would want an m20 back in the car. Going forward it is far more likely that should something happen to my m50 I would replace it with another m50 variant and having the x20 wired to the chassis would simplify the swap. In fact all the mods along the way have been working in this direction. for example the manual brake conversion not only clears the m50's manifold it also clears the s50b32's should I want to run one in the future. . .
          you're being too logical :) I'm starting in on M50 swap and am trying to fig. out best approach. have read about shop in GA. that will replace x20 on E36 harness with C101 to match chassis. I can see your thinking. was trying to avoid doing the wiring myself but maybe that's best thanks wiring 201 is the gauge package ?

any part # for x20 connectors ? Thnks
          Last edited by 36brua; 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM.
          My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

you're being too logical :) I'm starting in on M50 swap and am trying to fig. out best approach. have read about shop in GA. that will replace x20 on E36 harness with C101 to match chassis. I can see your thinking. was trying to avoid doing the wiring myself but maybe that's best thanks wiring 201 is the gauge package ?

any part # for x20 connectors ? Thnks
            That would be Dave, I'm sure his method is logical as well, but possibly with different goals in mind. If I had to guess I'd say that it reduces cost b/c the customer should already have both sides of the c101, where as their donor motor likely only came with the motor side of the x20. Also you can ship your new m50's harness and your old c101 to him but shipping him the whole car is a little more expensive. My customers all have to give me their entire car, if they allow me, I also post their swaps to the internet for the good of the community.

The wiring 201 syllabus is as below.

Wiring 201-

*locking/unlocking the x20 connector
            *proper selection of new pins/seals/tools for the application
            *proper removal of pins
            *wire conductor inspection and preparation
            *factory style crimping of new pins
            *installation of weather seals
            *adding extra circuits (gauges)
            *verifying pins' function with a DMM
            *verifying sensor and harness integrity with a DMM or Labscope

Comment

thanks again for insight on this. will watch for wiring 201 for sure !
              My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Thanks, I'm just happy to be back to working on it.

Heat shield exhaust gaskets are 11-62-1-732-969

They need some minor modification(drill a few holes for studs that weren't used on the m54) to work on early motors but are worth the effort IMHO.
                Thank you sir!
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Last week I got my adapters so I can run my other sets of wheels.

I also got the 2nd set of springs installed up front a few weeks back but hadn't gotten a good picture yet.

I wanted to add for anyone considering the 42draft designs adapters, that these adapters are strikingly well designed/machined.

Comment

nice!
                    8380 Laboratories
                    M3 Champs Poster

Comment

So easter weekend I got the car running and put around 140 miles on it. (thanks Chris!) Still needs and alignment, the gauges and radio installed, and a few other loose ends, but mechanically it's great. Took it's first trip down to the Jack Daniels Distillerty in Lynchburg, TN.

Comment

Photo by systemdelete, on Flickr
                        Beginning to plumb the power steering system now that the motor is mounted in it's final resting position.
                        Is this a power steering cooler? What AN lines are those? from what I've been researching, not much AN stuff can handle the high pressure of power steering. Most lines are rated to 300psi while the PS is more 1,000-1500psi!

Also, if you want to sell those RGF's give me a shout! ;D
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

My alpine e30 'vert project

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Is this a power steering cooler? What AN lines are those? from what I've been researching, not much AN stuff can handle the high pressure of power steering. Most lines are rated to 300psi while the PS is more 1,000-1500psi!

Also, if you want to sell those RGF's give me a shout! ;D
                          Yep, PS cooler, I removed the factory "loop of metal pipe" cooler when I replumbed the system to convert to AN.

The PS lines are not under much pressure except the high pressure line from the pump to the rack. For that one I had a custom hydraulic line made at the local Napa with standard steel JIC fittings to match the -6 lines and fittings I used elsewhere. The rest of the hoses to the cooler and such are aeroquip startlite hose with aeroquip ends as needed.

I had a spare high pressure hose made up with the first, and anything else can be replaced with a new piece of bulk startlite that I keep at the shop since the hose ends are reusable.
                          Last edited by bimmerteck; 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Bimmerteck, i am about to purchase this same model fan for my R134a conversion, just a question regarding the fan mounting hardware. Spal offers various sizes, it is hard to see from the pictures which ones (the sizes) you used, despite being an old thread do you recall which ones you used?

Comment

Originally posted by S.J.1981 View Post
                              Bimmerteck, i am about to purchase this same model fan for my R134a conversion, just a question regarding the fan mounting hardware. Spal offers various sizes, it is hard to see from the pictures which ones (the sizes) you used, despite being an old thread do you recall which ones you used?
                              Spal 30102048 is what’s actually on the car currently. The straight blade pusher above worked well for several years but met an unfortunate end due to road debris. The one I swapped to is what I’ve used on the more hot swaps I’ve done as it moves more air, but it’s more $$$ and requires more amperage. I used the spal mounting bits that packaged with them. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Realized on the way to work this morning that my swap has been up and running problem free for a decade now. Every time I drive it it still puts a smile on my face.

Comment

Working...
                                X