X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Pre-Facelift 318i 1983

Hi guys!
    I want to tell you a story of my E30.
    I bought it last year. It had semi-dead but still smothly running m10b18 with oil consumption of 1 quart per 60 miles if you push the pedal to the metall hah. Also this engine was converted to EFI from Lada( ECU called January 5.1)by previous owner because of worn out Jetronic system. But this ECU wasn't adjusted properly and fuel consumption was around 10mpg. But accleration was quite ok, maybe because of oil compression(15 bar in each cylinder). Still remeber the smell of oil after drag races between traffic lights.
    Now it has aluminium block m52b28 btw
    I did some ordinary mods, i will try to write about them here, but my english is not as good to write big good text. Sorry for it.
    Attached some photos
    Thank you for reading

The current spec is
    Engine
    M52B28 aluminium block
    M50 intake manifold
    M50TU valve cover
    Deleted M52 CCV (m50 system is more reliable)
    M50 coilpacks
    NGK BKR6EK sparks
    Stock MS 41.0 with added OBD2 interface( Euro spec don't have it in stock)
    Supersprint replica exhaust manifold
    E46 330i exhaust system from manifold to muffler
    Transimission
    Getrag 220
    3.25 welded diff
    Custom short shifter
    Suspension
    was Stock 45mm struts with upside down shocks now DGR coilovers in 51mm struts
    was Stock 318i springs now 6kg front springs
    was KYB Excel-G rear shock now DGR rear shock with adjustable length(separate from spring)
    was Lesjofors rear springs now some red -60 springs
    Brakes
    solid front disc-now vented front discs brakes-now E39 525i caliper BBK
    rear drums, just fresh brake shoes-now e46 328i BBK
    Body
    Front struts brace, rear shocks mounts brace, X-brace between subframe and body.
    Bronze windows except windshield
    Custom front lip
    Stock rubber ducktail
    Wheels
    Summer- Melber R15 ET12 7J with 205/55 S.drive(rear) and 195/60 Formula energy(front) now BBS RX223 ET15 16x8 with 215/45 Dunlop SP Sport maxx
    Interior
    M-tech 380mm steering wheel without leather
    Recaro LS(?) seats from Opel Omega A with power lift and without folding mechanism
    BMW Reverse RDS
    Lada shifter knob with stainless steel shifter stick
    Early tach without econometer

Click image for larger version  Name:	resize.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	9893994 Click image for larger version  Name:	WfZ92-v1nnA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	9893993 Click image for larger version  Name:	xfTzIuu7bGI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	9893995
    Last edited by Alan; 11-14-2020, 04:51 PM.

is that zobelbraun metallic?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      is that zobelbraun metallic?
      Hi
      No, it's color from lada color palette. I don't know the true color name, but "Dark beige-brown" is written on the paint can
      Originally, my car was bronzetbeige, but everything is re-painted

Comment

Today i would like to write about Russian EFI system- January 5.1
        Previous owner converted m10b18 to this EFI instead of Jetronic. This system is very popular in Russia because every EFI Lada has it and it's cost about 60$ with ECU and complete engine loom with maf and all the sensors( all you need to do with the loom is to lengthen some wires and fix ECU in glove compartment)
        Then you need to wire stock fuel injectors, fuel pump relay and make custom throttle body to install J5.1 TPS or install lada throttle body with its original tps(very simple). After that you need to weld a piece of lada crankshaft pulley(with reference plate, don't know how to translate it) to M10B18 crankshaft pulley to make CPS work(also need cps sensor bracket, but it's can be made from 1mm metall sheet). Finally, you should fine a place with good ground signal to fix ignition module.
        You still have all your jetronic wiring in the car, but if you unplug jetronic ECU nothing happen and car still runs and starts.
        The benefits of this ECU is
        Cheap
        Reliable
        Easy to install
        New sensors cost nothing(TPS cost 5$, CPS cost 3$, MAF 30$)
        If you set up it very well and engine is ok, stock m10b18 with this ECU can produces up to 120hp hah
        Everyone here know it and can easily adjust it and add new features (launch control, antilag, shift light etc)
        You can convert it to APS+intake air temp sensor if you want forced induction.
        Attached Files

Comment

I found some photos of my car that was made 3 years ago by previous owner.
          He bought the body with engine for 300$ and restored it as he could.
          As i mentioned before, we suffer from salt on our roads in winter and body of cars become rusty very quick, if you don't use anti-rust coatings
          Click image for larger version  Name:	b3bac886-3cd5-4633-b41f-a10a52ca8615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	9896445 Click image for larger version  Name:	ce0133cc-cd8d-41ad-9dea-2b8e7adde9dd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	9896446 Click image for larger version  Name:	1d4ea514-4193-43c4-b7c7-86a3a7bd8a3d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	9896447 Click image for larger version  Name:	1122c2c1-d5d5-48d9-9580-f5a5801b0559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	9896448 Click image for larger version  Name:	1dde0a86-bb75-4424-b0e9-d974e70bdfd9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	9896449
          Last edited by Alan; 01-05-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone. I decided to rebuild suspension of my car. I wanted to have ability to adjust height and softness/hardness of the car so i decided to buy a coilover kit. After research in local e30club i found a set of DGR coilovers kit that require refill and replacing seals for 230$. It was a price for 4 shocks and 2 springs (no rear spring,no rear adjusting nut and no adjusting keys).

I rebuild front shocks for 50$, adjusting screw works and everything is ok.

Also i decided to convert car bolt pattern to 5x120 in order to use my favourite BBS rims without any spacers.
            Installation was not so hard, i expected more pain. Also i found out that one outer ball joint worn out.

I choose 215/45 R16 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres

After installation i wanted to find out how big is the range of height adjustment. So here it is

Almost maximum drivebale low setup(without fender rolling, on 215/45 r16 et15)

Maximum safe height setup

As you can see, i run stock rubber top bearing because i didnt found good camber plates with good bearing,everything is garbage with cheap chinese spherical bearings.

Also i installed BBK with E39 caliper.

Now i don't have a disc dust plate and tie rod seal is super close to the brake disc.

This is because i converted to 5x120 with e36 hubs and short sleeve on knuckle axle(sorry for bad english, idk how to explain it). Maybe photo will explain better

But i used stock knuckle axle nut and my ET remain is same as in stock 4x100 setup

Comment

Love the color of the car and the wheels look fantastic! Do you have any pictures of the car with the BBS on the front and rear? What other plans do you have for the car? When did you add the mtech1 front valance?

Comment

That looks great!
                I'm very interested in the January 5.1 ... specifically the toothed wheel setup. What is the angle of the 2 missing teeth in reference to the woodruf key?
                '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

what rotor are you using for the front because I did the BBK too but the ET is too much the wheel is poking out too much I am trying to find a solution and any close photos of the caliper too

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                    Love the color of the car and the wheels look fantastic! Do you have any pictures of the car with the BBS on the front and rear? What other plans do you have for the car? When did you add the mtech1 front valance?
                    Thank you!
                    Yes, i have.

I drove the car with 5x120 on front and 4x100 on rear for 2 months because i was rebuilding rear subframe for 5x120 and waited for some parts to arrive. I also converted rear to 5x120 without big ET change, only 2.5mm per side.
                    I love the color, in autumn car looks fantastic.

I added mtech1 front valance in winter, because i had a road accident. I decided to install fiberglass mtech1 replica because this was faster and cheaper than buying new early valance and also improved a look.

Didn't want to write about it because I was so upset about it. Such stupid accident without my guilty. Guy on lada decided to turn across the double line and didn't look at his mirror. During fixing up after the accident I had to change the front panel because it was a rusty and bent.

Also, new hood, new front wing(non-original, bad gaps), new headlights, hew hood hinge was installed.

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                      That looks great!
                      I'm very interested in the January 5.1 ... specifically the toothed wheel setup. What is the angle of the 2 missing teeth in reference to the woodruf key?
                      Can't measure it right now, already sold this system. J5.1 has 60-2 crankshaft pulley. To install it on 4 cylinder engine, you put your engine in tdp and install the pulley that 20th teeth would be opposite crankshaft position sensor(counting begins after the spot without teeth). This is the photo from a guide which was used to make my system work(blue is stock tag on m10 pulley, green is welding spots,red is j5.1 pulley)
                      Last edited by Alan; 11-14-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Narsiyousif View Post
                        what rotor are you using for the front because I did the BBK too but the ET is too much the wheel is poking out too much I am trying to find a solution and any close photos of the caliper too
                        Front config is
                        E36 hub with spacer on knuckle axle
                        E39 520-528i brake caliper( aluminum one, for 22mm brake discs,60mm piston)
                        Mini Countryman brake disc 294x22 45mm height
                        Custom brake adapter

in comprehension with stock brakes new brakes are awesome, but i didn't test them on racetrack and i have non-sport brake pads,so can't say about brake fade

Stock brakes

E39 BBK

Gaps are minimal, but ok

Comment

Thanks for the information, both on Jan 5.1 and the brakes!
                          '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

Front config is
                            E36 hub with spacer on knuckle axle
                            E39 520-528i brake caliper( aluminum one, for 22mm brake discs,60mm piston)
                            Mini Countryman brake disc 294x22 45mm height
                            Custom brake adapter

in comprehension with stock brakes new brakes are awesome, but i didn't test them on racetrack and i have non-sport brake pads,so can't say about brake fade

Stock brakes

E39 BBK

Gaps are minimal, but ok

really nice build thank you for sharing the photos I was wondering how you got the backside of the e36 hub mounted with only the flat sleeve because my kit had this type of sleeve that sits by the back dust cap like this one :
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	938497_x600.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	9960462

and this is the actual kit that I used

Name:	6ff3a4d0f6134960ac6b32c7192efcff.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	9960463

my problem is that I am using rc090 it sits perfectly in the rear but the front is sticking out too much and trying to find a solution plus the minimum wheel size need to be 17" no less because of the e46 m3 front caliper and rotor I don't need that much brake power so I am trying to see if someone is using other options for front. THANKS AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Narsiyousif View Post

really nice build thank you for sharing the photos I was wondering how you got the backside of the e36 hub mounted with only the flat sleeve because my kit had this type of sleeve that sits by the back dust cap like this one :

Name:	938497_x600.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	9960462

and this is the actual kit that I used

Name:	6ff3a4d0f6134960ac6b32c7192efcff.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	9960463

my problem is that I am using rc090 it sits perfectly in the rear but the front is sticking out too much and trying to find a solution plus the minimum wheel size need to be 17" no less because of the e46 m3 front caliper and rotor I don't need that much brake power so I am trying to see if someone is using other options for front. THANKS AGAIN
                              Fitting big brakes with rc090 is a real pain.
                              If I won't be satisfied with brake power of e39 caliper and mini rotors, I will install e46 330i brakes(caipers+rotors). They fit perfectly in my 16's because BBS has a "motorsport" shape of inner rim. This is super minimal gap with inner rims and spokes, but it works)
                              If I were you I will go this way, because your problem is small X-factor of the rim(distance from the hub mounting surface to the back of the wheel spokes). E39 caliper is very big and i thinks it won't fit with rc090's. E46 330i caliper is narrower than e39 and you will have more chances to install it with your rims without any spacers.
                              Here is the photos of 330i brakes in my rims.

Comment

Working...
                              X