What chassis can I use as a donor car for my 1990 E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What chassis can I use as a donor car for my 1990 E30 M3

I have a 1990 E30 M3 with a boat load of rust! Everything is gone. I need a donor car to rebuild parts of the frame the floor and the firewall + much more.

What is the correct car to use for this?

Pictures in link below

I believe you want a pre 1988 model year coupe as they share the most parts. There is a guy in Norway reproducing NLA E30 and E30 M3 sheet metal, the actual website isn't up yet but they even plan to sell complete rust free chassis' with all new panels:

E30Garage Norway, Norway. 13,302 likes · 290 talking about this · 3 were here. Welcome to the World`s largest reproduction of metal parts for E30 & E30 M3

But really, you should just save yourself the trouble and sell me your M3 :p

Comment

In case you havn't seen it, block off the next 24 hours and binge read this thread. Absolutely amazing resource and read.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...or-rust-repair.

good luck with the repair! Gotta save all the M3s we can
      "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
      Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Originally posted by ccarey3 View Post
        I believe you want a pre 1988 model year coupe as they share the most parts. There is a guy in Norway reproducing NLA E30 and E30 M3 sheet metal, the actual website isn't up yet but they even plan to sell complete rust free chassis' with all new panels:

E30Garage Norway, Norway. 13,302 likes · 290 talking about this · 3 were here. Welcome to the World`s largest reproduction of metal parts for E30 & E30 M3

But really, you should just save yourself the trouble and sell me your M3 :p
        haha thank you! I am not giving up on her yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad311 View Post
          In case you havn't seen it, block off the next 24 hours and binge read this thread. Absolutely amazing resource and read.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...or-rust-repair.

good luck with the repair! Gotta save all the M3s we can
          Thank you! I will give it a go! Appreciate the insight

Comment

An alternative to E30garageNorway is Valcas Garage: https://www.valcasgarage.com/
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I recently bought a couple of parts for a Trunk rust repair from Valcas Garage. Give it a try to see if they have something you need.
              They are in Eastern Europe, so it took a couple of weeks, but good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by zkhockey10 View Post
                I have a 1990 E30 M3 with a boat load of rust! Everything is gone. I need a donor car to rebuild parts of the frame the floor and the firewall + much more.

What is the correct car to use for this?

Pictures in link below
                Correct car would be 86-87 325/e/i non convertible. Next closest would probably be 84-85 318i/325e.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Westija View Post
                  I recently bought a couple of parts for a Trunk rust repair from Valcas Garage. Give it a try to see if they have something you need.
                  They are in Eastern Europe, so it took a couple of weeks, but good quality.
                  Labor in eastern Europe is pennies on the dollar and the skill level is leaps and bounds above stateside.

It would probably be worthwhile to just pay the shipping both ways via container and get the whole car redone there.

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post

Labor in eastern Europe is pennies on the dollar and the skill level is leaps and bounds above stateside.

It would probably be worthwhile to just pay the shipping both ways via container and get the whole car redone there.
                    For an M3 that's certainly true, if you can make the contacts and get the car insured so it does not vanish.

Comment

Another Jersey car...looking forward to seeing this transformation.
                      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

UPDATE: Here is what i found in my research... My car is a 1990 so that makes it even more rare. I need a 1987 352 coupe HOWEVER.... it must be after September build date as they changed some components of the the inner fender and frame rail ever so slightly.

I found a 325E from 1987 late October build date so that is what I have to go with. If my M3 was pre 1990 I could have used an earlier built car and the parts would have been SO MUCH EASIER TO FIND. Jesus this car is giving me trouble already hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
                          Another Jersey car...looking forward to seeing this transformation.

check it out haha

Comment

I have the same project going slowly. In my case I’m using a shell from a 1987 325is. 75% of the M3 is super clean. 25% was repaired poorly after an accident and stressed and rusted. I’ll be drilling spot welds until the cows come home to extract pieces. Fortunately the 87 is even cleaner than the M3. Just have to find time to get this moving.

Comment

Working...
                            X