Imans LS1/T56 1987 325es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imans LS1/T56 1987 325es

Hey everyone I want to document a full build of my car from this point forward and this thread is where ill do it.
    The car is currently running and driving so ill post some pictures of how it got to where it is today.

Chassis:
    1987 325es coupe in zinnoberrot
    originally and auto car

Drivetrain:
    2004 GTO LS1/T56 combo
    Moster stage 3 clutch
    custom engine and trans mounts
    custom one piece driveshaft
    rebuilt 3.73 lsd
    stock axles

Steering and suspension:
    ground control Coilover conversion
    Bilstein dampers
    reinforced front subframe
    poly bushings everywhere
    Z3 steering rack
    front sway bar spacers
    adjustable front sway bar links
    still 4x100

Fuel system:
    walbro 255 in tank
    bosch 044 external
    Corvette filter/regulator
    6an lines

Wiring;
    wiring specialties engine harness
    new fuel pump wiring
    new radio wiring

Cooling:
    mishomoto r32 rad
    random coolant hoses
    spal 16" pusher fan

Engine oil system:
    canton 7 qt baffled oil pan
    remote oil filter housing

Brakes:
    chase bays booster delete kit
    rebuilt calipers
    EBC red pads

Tires/wheels
    apex arc 8 flat face
    225/45/17 continental extreme contact

Buying the car!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50633666618_dff811df4d_b.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	9961615

Name:	50634499287_da11df09ea_b.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	9961616

New home!

Name:	50634414231_bd4ed251a3_b.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	9961617

Yanking the motor

Name:	50634412731_10ef024a68_b.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9961618

First test fit!

Name:	50634500827_e4770c4797_b.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	9961619

Comment

Fuel system made up

Name:	50634500027_a7a6f98d78_b.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	9961621

Motor going in for the last time!

Name:	50630309498_f6afccc854_b.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	9961622

Name:	50634412551_ed5decc740_b.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	9961623

2nd start! :) (video)

E30 build by Isaac Marianni, on Flickr

First time seeing daylight under its own power

Name:	50634496807_dfc4573ccc_b.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9961624

Comment

First trip to the gas station

Name:	50631074816_52304b167d_b.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	9961626

One of the first rips (video)

E30 build by Isaac Marianni, on Flickr

I skipped a lot in between but you all get the gist.
        Gonna start posting the new stuff that I do this winter, hopefully it will all go well!

Comment

How do you like the 3.73's? Not too short of gearing? How confident is the braking? I'll have mine up and running soon and haven't decided how to feel about the manual brakes.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          1982 528e - Sold
          1987 325e - Totalled
          1990 325is - Sold
          1997 540i6 - Sold
          1991 325ic - Sold
          2013 335i - Sold
          2005 X5 - Daily
          1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
            How do you like the 3.73's? Not too short of gearing? How confident is the braking? I'll have mine up and running soon and haven't decided how to feel about the manual brakes.
            I just installed the 3.73 and unfortunately have barely driven it. I had a 4.10 previously which I for sure thought was too short. I think the 3.73 will be a good match.
            As for the manual brakes, I really am not a fan. once the pads get hot it can stop well but it takes a lot of effort. if you can get power brakes I for sure recommend that you do. One of my projects for this winter is figuring out getting power brakes again.

Comment

Originally posted by iman53 View Post

I just installed the 3.73 and unfortunately have barely driven it. I had a 4.10 previously which I for sure thought was too short. I think the 3.73 will be a good match.
              As for the manual brakes, I really am not a fan. once the pads get hot it can stop well but it takes a lot of effort. if you can get power brakes I for sure recommend that you do. One of my projects for this winter is figuring out getting power brakes again.
              I think you'll like the 3.73's. I too went from 4.10s down to 3.73s and it made 1st gear so much better to drive. I wouldn't even mind a 3.46 or similar just for highway driving but 80mph I'm barely over 2k in 6th.

Check out the electric booster thread in the brakes section. I have an e30-LS1 hydroboost setup but plan to swap to the electric booster for less clutter. I feel bad for you guys that are boosterless!

Comment

Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post

I think you'll like the 3.73's. I too went from 4.10s down to 3.73s and it made 1st gear so much better to drive. I wouldn't even mind a 3.46 or similar just for highway driving but 80mph I'm barely over 2k in 6th.

Check out the electric booster thread in the brakes section. I have an e30-LS1 hydroboost setup but plan to swap to the electric booster for less clutter. I feel bad for you guys that are boosterless!
                Haha yeah boosterless sucks! I read through that ibooster thread and I think thats the way im gonna go. I picked up a tesla booster but I havent figured out how im gonna fit it. Im not ready to tear my braking system out yet as I still have a strange rear end vibration that im trying to track down.
                Do you know if any other V8 guys have fit the ibooster in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post

I feel bad for you guys that are boosterless!
                  dont feel bad for us guys who are boosterless. i honestly dont understand the overwhelming sentiment of manual brakes suck. i have no issue whatsoever locking up my brakes without a booster, and thats with 245/315 width racing slicks. maybe you need more strength in your legs? or to just stop being a big waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles? lolol At the end of the day manual brakes provide superior pedal feel and feedback(for those up to the extra effort)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Rivet (hkv) View Post

dont feel bad for us guys who are boosterless. i honestly dont understand the overwhelming sentiment of manual brakes suck. i have no issue whatsoever locking up my brakes without a booster, and thats with 245/315 width racing slicks. maybe you need more strength in your legs? or to just stop being a big waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles? lolol At the end of the day manual brakes provide superior pedal feel and feedback(for those up to the extra effort)
                    Maybe my master is not sized correctly which is possible because I didnt spent time perfecting my system. I would rather have power brakes if it is possible. it is a street car after all, not a full blown race car.

Comment

Originally posted by iman53 View Post
                      I would rather have power brakes if it is possible. it is a street car after all, not a full blown race car.
                      i hear ya there man, although i have to say that a boosterless setup being undesirable or difficult never even crossed my mind for the longest time until i started seeing everyone mention it on this forum. Been driving cars boosterless since 2012 and not once did i even think of it much less have an issue with it(ignorance is bliss) but on this forum it seems like a huge deal to allot of people. Maybe my cars being so light contributes to it being not an issue for me, i dont know.

BTW congrats on your swap!! sick stuff! ive got a buddy in the middle of an ls swap in his e30 right now

Comment

i like how you angled the whole car to make putting the motor in easier lol! clever stuff!

Comment

Maybe my cars being so light contributes to it being not an issue for me, i dont know.

BTW congrats on your swap!! sick stuff! ive got a buddy in the middle of an ls swap in his e30 right now
                          Yeah weight could for sure have something to do with it or maybe it is just my leg strength hahaha :)

Thank you though! just checked out your thread too, thats some awesome work!
                          Youre running a one piece driveshaft I presume? what rear end ratio?

Comment

i hear ya there man, although i have to say that a boosterless setup being undesirable or difficult never even crossed my mind for the longest time until i started seeing everyone mention it on this forum. Been driving cars boosterless since 2012 and not once did i even think of it much less have an issue with it(ignorance is bliss) but on this forum it seems like a huge deal to allot of people. Maybe my cars being so light contributes to it being not an issue for me, i dont know.

I've driven plenty of manual brake setups. Same reason I don't run carbs on my cars. Power brakes work significantly better everywhere, multiple people drive my cars and I don't need anyone worrying about having to power leg a panic stop on the freeway. 95% of the manual brake swaps on here are guys not ready to pony up the cash for power brakes and theyre all mostly the poor design single channel master cylinder guys.

I'm not sure that any LS guys have tested the ibooster yet, but i plan to order one to try if no one else beats me to it.

Comment

I picked up a new hood and trunk lid this past weekend, the current ones the paint is peeling bad, with a nice buff of the whole car these will be great!

Name:	50662428423_024aeb00ec_b.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	9962628

Comment

Working...
                              X