No E30 Project '95 F-150 - Extra Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No E30 Project '95 F-150 - Extra Credit

So, I've been a member here for a little bit, but I never do project documentation, and now that I have no E30 it's the perfect time to start!

It does at least have E30 provenance, sort of, since I bought it from some guys I met at the now pretty much defunct College Park, MD E30 meet up. The previous owners have also ditched their E30s and after moving on to M-B, then Mini, then Ford, they're now FCA addicts.

On to the truck. It's a 1995 Ford F-150 Eddie Bauer with a 4.9L (Ford 300) straight 6 connected to a Mazda 5 speed manual, sending power to a 3.08 open differential. Also, in case you can't tell, it's a standard cab with a short, 6.5', bed. It had 222,327 miles when I got it, so it's only just ready to work, right? It was only $1,000, which was an amazing price in June of 2020, when POS Rangers were 4k.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tDtvSmIh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	9968031

You see that door behind the truck? It has something to do with why I bought this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rBg3fXyh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	9968033

Nice, right? And I only need to park it within 6" of the wall in order to walk behind the rear bumper. For those not gifted in Tetris it also fits in backwards.

Engine looks...there. At least once I cleaned off the .25" layer of silty dust. (I cheated, this image is from after I replaced AC components and added a shiny new jack)

Click image for larger version  Name:	OOJnUlRh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	9968034

So, for a grand it needed nothing, and was ready to drive cross country, right? Um, sure...

At that point I knew it needed:

Windshield
    Tires
    Alignment
    To not have just a little bitty exhaust leak

Click image for larger version  Name:	ni9p4znh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	9968032
    Look closely, maybe you can spot it...

After a member here booger welded the heck out of that it sounded something like the video attached, unfortunately I don't have a video from before since I couldn't think while driving. I had to add some JB Weld later since there was still considerable, shall we say, metal porosity.

We'll get in to more of the Ford absolute goodness a bit later.

So time for a K-swap?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      So time for a K-swap?
      Right ballpark, but think more Mazda K.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Right ballpark, but think more Mazda K.
        OH HELL YA! ... from the Contour SVT?

Post it on YouTube K-Swap F150 and get all the views... Stanceworks is k-swapping a Ferrari 308 so why not one-up him
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

OH HELL YA! ... from the Contour SVT?

Post it on YouTube K-Swap F150 and get all the views... Stanceworks is k-swapping a Ferrari 308 so why not one-up him
          In reality the Ford 300 makes 150/245 from 4.9L, the SVTC makes 198/165 from 2.5L, so there's really no point there, but there is a marque appropriate DOHC 4.0L straight 6 that I would want to put in there. Should I be able to get a fairly complete unit of course.

Comment

I absolutely love where this is going. Future COTM right here.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              I absolutely love where this is going. Future COTM right here.
              M30 swap would definitely make it happen...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

M30 swap would definitely make it happen...
                Hmm, I was just thinking about my old Hartge H5S the other day, and that M30 was awesome.

Even so, this is not a car, so COTM seems like an impossibility.

Comment

Nice one!

You know you just want to jump on Australian ebay and grab one of these: Falcon 4.0 Barra engine for a stock, reliable 260hp. With our dollar being pretty low at the moment, it would be pretty cheap, but might take a while to get to the US. They are dime a dozen over here & the cars are now worth peanuts since Ford stopped manufacturing them.

Or you could go next level with the turbo motor for a stock 360hp (with mods the sky is the limit) providing you don't mind the horrific fuel economy that you'd get from it in an F150
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                    Nice one!

You know you just want to jump on Australian ebay and grab one of these: for a stock, reliable 260hp. With our dollar being pretty low at the moment, it would be pretty cheap, but might take a while to get to the US. They are dime a dozen over here & the cars are now worth peanuts since Ford stopped manufacturing them.

Or you could go next level with the turbo motor for a stock 360hp (with mods the sky is the limit) providing you don't mind the horrific fuel economy that you'd get from it in an F150
                    Yep, the slight issue is that they aren't yet technically legal to import with the intention to use in a car registered on US roads. Clearly the taxi engines are fine, and they generally seem fine to take a turbo, but factory turbo is always good, especially for something dumb like a truck. There are several US "importers" who are already working in Barras, but they seem to not want to get turbo engines. In any case, it's the route I'd like to go, legal or otherwise.

Comment

Interesting - just looked up a bit more about it, and didn't realise there would be those sorts of restrictions on importation to the US. Emissions systems etc. were lifted more or less straight from the US Ford engines by Ford Australia, so I didn't think the EPA there would bat an eyelid at them.
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I didn't realize, but it would make sense that the two Ford operations would share emissions tech. I'll have to look in to what the actual figures are for emissions, and on the back of that there is the possibility of getting a letter of equivalency from Ford, which could make importation legal.

Comment

find yourself a high output 5.0 from a Mercury Mountaineer. could be neat. i always liked these body styles, a lot.
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

A nice vintage. What's the brown two tone? Actual paint or like an installed side skirt piece?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                              find yourself a high output 5.0 from a Mercury Mountaineer. could be neat. i always liked these body styles, a lot.
                              I could, but there isn't really enough gain to add the HO since the 300 already moves it along pretty well and has some neat features, like purely gear driven timing.

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                              A nice vintage. What's the brown two tone? Actual paint or like an installed side skirt piece?
                              It's oxford white over either Sonora or Santa Fe tan paint, and it's part of the Eddie Bauer package, but XLT trims also typically had two tone. The EB package added AC, power windows/locks, 4 speaker sound, a leather wheel, the aluminum wheels, side rub strips, chrome trim, tailgate applique, maybe gauges, and normally bucket seats with a console, although this one has a bench seat today.

Comment

Working...
                              X