No announcement yet.

Boats Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone needs a calendar for next year, and they want one with sailboats, support a good cause and get a calendar featuring my photography (No I didn't pick any of the pics, and no I don't make any money off the deal.) https://www.sfmastermariners.org/mmb...-mmba-calendar

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

So, this happened...

Click image for larger version

Name:	53727851883_d58ff1a5e8_b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	10120659

55+ hours of sanding, 4 hours of actual painting. The paint was rolled and tipped (applied with a roller, brushed out.) and yeah, its like glass. I can't wait to show up at the start line of the Master Mariners race (the oldest sailing race in the US.) with her looking better than all the other Bird Boats in the fleet. I doubt I'll win, but I'm going to see how well she does against the others. I think this might be the first time she's raced in 20 years.

Will
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Spectacular!

Doing a boot or other detail striping?

Nothing much to share from me, just using mine as it should be. Did see the Pride of Baltimore II crusing down the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          So, this happened...

55+ hours of sanding, 4 hours of actual painting. The paint was rolled and tipped (applied with a roller, brushed out.) and yeah, its like glass. I can't wait to show up at the start line of the Master Mariners race (the oldest sailing race in the US.) with her looking better than all the other Bird Boats in the fleet. I doubt I'll win, but I'm going to see how well she does against the others. I think this might be the first time she's raced in 20 years.

Will
          Dang Will, you are an animal.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Spectacular!

Doing a boot or other detail striping?

Nothing much to share from me, just using mine as it should be. Did see the Pride of Baltimore II crusing down the bay.
            Yes, I painted the cove stripe (arrow on the side) gold. I found the paint in my dads desk 40 years ago, and it was probably 20+ years old at that time. It has so much real gold flake that when I cleaned my brush, I was able to evaporate the acetone off and dump the gold back into the bottle. Its not a super bright gold, but a very natural looking gold. Probably similar to what she had when new.

Please ignore the fiberglass repair that isn't painted in these pics. It was still soft when I did the paint. It has since been painted.

I'm working on new toe rails for the boat, but they won't be on for the race on Saturday. It has been a mad thrash to get all this work done. I'm pretty beat, but I can't wait to get the boat out and see how she sails with new sails, and a much smoother hull.

Have a look here if you want to see pics of Hummingbird from the past. Most of the pics here are ones I scanned from a photo album that came with the boat. These were mostly taken 20+ years ago when she went through a serious refit.
            The San Francisco Bird boats are the oldest one design class on the west coast, and one of the oldest classes in the country. They are a collaboration between Frank C Brewer from Sausalito, and Sam Crocker, of John Alden and Associates. Hummingbird was built in 1929 or perhaps very early 1930 by George Kneass, for himself. Mr Kneass built two Birds, #5 "Falcon" and #22 Hummingbird. Sadly Falcon sank in 1989, but Hummingbird is still going strong. Hummingbird has lived a tough life. She has been abandoned a few times in her 95 years, then brought back to life again. Its been a long cycle of this. She has proven herself a winner by winning the 1948 Lipton Cup, and more recently in 2003, she was in the running for a championship. This album is mostly pictures of her rebuild in the late 90s, early 2000s. There are some more recent pics that I shot when I became involved with the boat. The goal currently is to erase the evidence of past wrong doings by the previous owner, and to return her to close to what she looked like in 1929. Maybe, just maybe I can return her to her championship winning ways. It will take some work, and a lot of learning, but I'd love to live the history that she represents, and help her see a possible second century.

Will

'88 BMW M3

Comment

BlackbirdM3 What are you naming her? Hummingbird?
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Its bad luck to rename a boat, and Hummingbird is her original name, more or less. Originally she was Humming Bird, but someone simplified things decades ago, so the name will stay. Hummingbirds are cool, so why would I want to change it? I think its a great name.

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  2mAn you have a house now, so, a boat should be your next DD.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

2mAn you have a house now, so, a boat should be your next DD.
                    actually a vintage racecar from a few years ago has resurfaced ... and with some neighbors who have racecars too, I gotta show em whats up

Will, Hummingbird is cool. I'd keep it too
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Yall making me jealous with all these sailboats. Part of my retirement plan is to learn how to sail during vacations, and be licensed by the time I retire. Then sell the house and purchase a boat to retire on.

My wife however, is not on board...

For now, this little 21 footer will have to do. My Wife has been slalom skiing her entire life so she enjoys it.

No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	10121054 Click image for larger version  Name:	Curlew and Hummingbird.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.7 KB ID:	10121033

San Francisco Bird Boats on the wing... Hummingbird (mine) leading Curlew (the oldest of the Birds, the second one built.) in a close match up wind yesterday morning as we both headed home from the race on Saturday. Curlew peeled off and went back to the SF Maritime Museum at Hyde St Pier, and we continued home to Sausalito.

A pic from the boat, and from a friend who randomly happened to be out on the bay on a different boat.

Will
                        Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 05-27-2024, 05:35 PM.
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

That looks amazing!

I started leaning to sail dinghy's at the Cal Sailing Club, but life kept getting in the way of making real progress. There was also always a huge line for dinghy lessons, so I ended up doing windsurfing pretty often. I wish I had been able to learn more and get into keel boats while I lived out there.
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                            That looks amazing!

I started leaning to sail dinghy's at the Cal Sailing Club, but life kept getting in the way of making real progress. There was also always a huge line for dinghy lessons, so I ended up doing windsurfing pretty often. I wish I had been able to learn more and get into keel boats while I lived out there.
                            Thanks. Yes, Hummingbird has come a long way in the past month. NOBODY was expecting me to show up with her looking as good as she does. This past weekend I started reworking the forestay attachment point. The original mount was a bronze eyebolt through the stem. This usually causes the top part of the stem to fail. When I dug into it, sure enough the stem was cracked, checked, and the bolt had a fracture surface started. When I went to unscrew the nut holding it in place, it just broke off. (Revealing the dull crack surface) So, it was a needed modification. It will not be attached to a reinforced padeye just behind the stem moving the load off the stem, but onto the front of the deck (I will work on tying the deck carlins to the frames near the keel to distribute the pulling load to the rest of the boat rather than just the foredeck.) The stem has been semi-repaired with penetrating epoxy, some hardwood dowels, and some long screws. No, not ideal, but to fix it right I'm pulling the whole front of the boat apart. (Yikes) The area will have minimal load on it so I'm not too worried. When its all back together I'll have some new trim back on the boat that should look pretty sharp, as well as some chalks so we can tie it to the dock better. I doubt it will be looking 100% by the wooden boat show at the end of the month, but it will look better than it does I hope.

In the race I made a single major tactical mistake that I knew not to make, but I got greedy and followed the guy I picked to win the race outright knowing full well it likely wouldn't pan out. As it turned out, it cost us a good 40 minutes... Ouch. Still, I managed a 3rd place in the class (of 5 boats) so apparently I did more right than wrong. I can't wait to go race again with the rest of the fleet.

Yeah I know how it goes. I went the better part of 30 years between sailing multiple days in a row. I forgot everything I knew in 1994. I do sort of want to go find a laser or something similar to futz around with on a lake. Hummingbird can be sailed single handedly, but it really wants two people. 4 people if you want to race. I do wish I had something that I could just haul out to the local lake and goof off with.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                            X