No announcement yet.

Purchase to Restore a 1959 Bentley Silver Cloud 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with a car of that caliber is you can't do a half-assed restoration... It's all or none. Yeah, it looks straight and is all there, but you can't just "spray it" and call it a day.

Interior looks OK and all there as well, but again... Can't just put seat covers on it.

But, it would be cool to have. I'd be a heretic and drop a GM LS series motor in it and drive it primered just to piss the purists off.

And do burnouts EVERYWHERE. LOL
    My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Comment

I think this sounds like an intriguing resto-project. Because of the brand and age, what parts you will need to source are likely to be on the pricey side (just speculating here). For the most part it looks pretty complete so you are way ahead of the game versus trailering home just a shell/chassis alone.

As far as your restoration idea goes, you do have some options. If you want to make it a solid runner and look decent enough to enjoy as the occassional driver, then you can probably complete the project without sending yourself deep into debt. However, if you want to bring it back it its former glory - a gin palace on wheels so you can sell it at Barrett Jackson in a few years - better be prepared financially. Any project on that level is going to cost dearly......especially with this car.

My
      Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

The rolls/bently vintage cars are one of the few marques that can possibly net you a profit for a restoration. Take your time and do things right. Consult the web, pros, museums, etc to find out how to keep everything proper. The biggest corner cutting I usually see in restorations is the interior, followed closely by paint. Make sure all the wood is properly restored in the interior, and the fabric used is authentic.

Your other alternative is to customize it to a point of lunacy. I'm talking LS3 (would be my engine of choice) big baller wheels (not donk), rust in key places, etc. Basically rat rod it out. $4k is just low enough to not cry over chopping the thing up.

Either way you choose, keep us updated on the project!
        Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

very classy. if you have the money and time... i say go for it. not something you see every day.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by learningcurve86 View Post
            very classy. If you have the money and time... I say go for it. Not something you see every day.
            +1

Comment

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
              The rolls/bently vintage cars are one of the few marques that can possibly net you a profit for a restoration. Take your time and do things right. Consult the web, pros, museums, etc to find out how to keep everything proper. The biggest corner cutting I usually see in restorations is the interior, followed closely by paint. Make sure all the wood is properly restored in the interior, and the fabric used is authentic.

Your other alternative is to customize it to a point of lunacy. I'm talking LS3 (would be my engine of choice) big baller wheels (not donk), rust in key places, etc. Basically rat rod it out. $4k is just low enough to not cry over chopping the thing up.

I don't have any rush to get the car restored, so time is on my side. The interior can probably do just fine for a while, just leaves getting the car running and a good paint job.

Can I prep this thing well enough to get a pretty decent outcome for <2k for paint?

Choppin thing's up isn't really my thing, I cant remember the last time I bought a non oem part ;)

Comment

Technically it's a Bentley S1, the rollers are called Silver Cloud's.... no?

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I would make all the engine mounts as adapters (if possible) so going back to stock would be easy. Hard part would be getting the computer wiring in without hacking up the firewall... Plus, you need to mount the throttle by wire gas pedal. Beyond that, it's a simple GM LS motor swap into any old car (Hot rod has about 10 million articles on it).

Get a little crazier... Go Megasquirt, get a truck LS1, Z06 cam, and a homemade turbo. Make about 500hp easy.

I digress. Regardless, buy it. Even if you do nothing and are able to flip it for > 4K, it's a deal.
                  My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Comment

Originally posted by amdspitfire View Post
                    I don't have any rush to get the car restored, so time is on my side. The interior can probably do just fine for a while, just leaves getting the car running and a good paint job.

Can I prep this thing well enough to get a pretty decent outcome for <2k for paint?

Choppin thing's up isn't really my thing, I cant remember the last time I bought a non oem part ;)
                    hmmm paint under 2k? i dont think youll be able to, two tone is for sure out. I've never seen a rolls, bently, jag, or anything like that with a paint job under 5k. If you found someone good (ie not maaco) that is in tune with vintage cars and you did all the prep and post wetsanding, you might be able to swing something close to 2k.
                    Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by thectrlguy View Post
                      Technically it's a Bentley S1, the rollers are called Silver Cloud's.... no?
                      I thought the bentley's are called both s1 and silver cloud, you could be right though.

Comment

hmmm paint under 2k? i dont think youll be able to, two tone is for sure out. I've never seen a rolls, bently, jag, or anything like that with a paint job under 5k. If you found someone good (ie not maaco) that is in tune with vintage cars and you did all the prep and post wetsanding, you might be able to swing something close to 2k.
                        Agreed I have about 1300 in the paint job on my e30,

But I (well a friend and I) did all the the stripping, prepping, priming, hand blocking x4 or 5 times, masking ect.... I had a good friend spray the base and clear for a case of beer. and I still have not done the cut a pollish on it yet. This would have been 4-6+k worth or work to get the results I have. Its not perfect but its damm good.

With out my friend that has been a painter for 22 years it would have cost me at least 1500 more just to get the color on it.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

do it

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
                          And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Working...
                          X