Any R53 experts here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FredK
    replied
    Just build up another S50E30, but with H&R Sport, a full interior, and quiet exhaust.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Bavarian3
    Are you racing from red light to red light?

    I thought the only number you cared about was MPG?

    Is reading comprehension really as difficult as some of you make it seem? I said I want a nice, fun to drive DD. Nowhere did I say all I cared about was mileage, but I want at least better than my current DD.

    Driving a slow ass car would not be enjoyable for me.

    The Cooper S seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I want which is why I asked for thoughts/experiences with them.

    Leave a comment:


  • nbio
    replied
    its not a straight line car.... but boost makes it more fun

    Leave a comment:


  • Bavarian3
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Nearly 10sec 0-60 isn't considered slow?
    Are you racing from red light to red light?

    I thought the only number you cared about was MPG?

    Leave a comment:


  • nbio
    replied
    I personally own a cooper s, bought it in may.
    only problem I have had so far is a wheelspeed sensor, the left front ones seem to get shaken loose fairly often.

    the 03-04 model years had the 6spd getrag, some people have problems with them but mine has 51000 miles and its perfect.
    05-06 have a viscuous engine mount which seems to just explode and leak shit all over the engine bay, but they have a closer ratio transmission and redesigned supercharger, yielding a couple more horses.

    some people have reported supercharger problems, but they seem to be pretty rare in general. i have met with many owners that have had no problems with their s/c.
    the john cooper works chargers have teflon coating on the blade, which has been known to flake off after 100k miles.

    go to northamericanmotoring.com
    its a good community and you can learn alot, go into the 1st gen stock problems/issues forum and you can learn alot

    hope this helped

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Nearly 10sec 0-60 isn't considered slow?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bavarian3
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Even though I'll have one quick car, I don't want to drive something boring/slow as my DD though! It will be interesting to see what the car feels like on 550/750. Since I've removed the power steering and I'm going to pull the AC stuff, that should just about get most of the weight out from the heavier engine, so I may be able to back down the front spring rates depending on how it handles.

    The thought of a 330 coupe is nice, but I haven't checked prices/reliability on them.
    I have a R56 non-S and it's quite enjoyable. It's a modern day ETA to be honest. I too was deciding between the S and Non-S;I totally agree with Daniel. It's really not that slow...

    Or just get a motorcycle and enjoy 40+ MPG.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Even though I'll have one quick car, I don't want to drive something boring/slow as my DD though! It will be interesting to see what the car feels like on 550/750. Since I've removed the power steering and I'm going to pull the AC stuff, that should just about get most of the weight out from the heavier engine, so I may be able to back down the front spring rates depending on how it handles.

    The thought of a 330 coupe is nice, but I haven't checked prices/reliability on them.

    Leave a comment:


  • daniel
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I don't think I could handle something THAT slow. That's even slower than my current slow, junk DD. Just not acceptable. Was the Cooper S you drove modified? The only one I've ever driven was stock and didn't seem loud/rough.

    Mid to low 30s on the hwy, would still be much better than 24mpg my Z34 gets.

    If they didn't get such terrible gas mileage I'd put an RX-8 on the list after going for a drive in my manager's yesterday, but I'm not dealing with 20mpg.
    they might not accelerate quickly, but they definitely handle better than a monte carlo. like i was saying, you already have a fast car - you don't need a second one in my opinion. i'd rather use the money saved by not buying an S on something else.

    i am pretty sure the one i drove was stock, and it was surprisingly "hardcore". i remember being really surprised at how it rode. for you though it might be like driving a boat considering the spring rates you chose for your e30 :razz:

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    an S197 would be a pretty sweet DD, or a C5 Vette. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    I don't think I could handle something THAT slow. That's even slower than my current slow, junk DD. Just not acceptable. Was the Cooper S you drove modified? The only one I've ever driven was stock and didn't seem loud/rough.

    Mid to low 30s on the hwy, would still be much better than 24mpg my Z34 gets.

    If they didn't get such terrible gas mileage I'd put an RX-8 on the list after going for a drive in my manager's yesterday, but I'm not dealing with 20mpg.

    Leave a comment:


  • daniel
    replied
    i'd recommend a non-s cooper. the gas mileage difference is significant (as well as price), and with your S52 you wont need another fast car. i drove a cooper s and honestly i would not want to drive one every day. they are loud and rough.

    Leave a comment:


  • gazellebeigem3
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien

    ever thought about a diesel vw? They modify easily/cheaply, there is a ton of aftermarket, and they are a a lot more roomy.
    ahahahaha no one wants any of your kool aid j00

    Leave a comment:


  • Bavarian3
    replied
    I would check out North American Motoring forums; they have a good stock problems/issues thread listing..

    The leading Mini Cooper community for news, discussion, FAQS, and reviews.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by BenM
    I didn't realize OK doesn't get much snow every year, but they make great DD (despite poor MPG).
    And when we do get it, it's gone quickly. We had a storm blow through earlier this year that dropped 6" of snow on the ground. The next day it was sunny/warm and by 3pm almost all the snow was melted.

    We have wild weather down here.

    Leave a comment:

Working...