Any R53 experts here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • z31maniac
    replied
    Interesting, the stuff I've read mostly has been the strut towers/sunroof/harness problems.

    That's too bad. I really dig those little cars.

    What's the deal on E46 non-M reliability? A 330 would be nice.

    Leave a comment:


  • dirty30
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    dirty30, thank you for your succint response to the thread, however, would care to expound upon your profound knowledge of said vehicle?
    Sure...

    These are a few things to look out for:

    Power steering pump failure after power steering cooling fan failure
    Manual trans flywheels exploding under regular use (no fuh raze)
    Control arm bushings disintegrating extremely fast
    Radio's dying
    Panoramic sunroof floods/ then breaks
    Supercharger life expectancy of about 100K
    Interior literally falling apart (ie: speaker grilles, cupholders, seat frames crack, interior fabrics loosening from backings)

    A pillar trims flying off the car as you drive down the road, as well as fender mouldings
    constant CEL, two MAP sensors, o2's get routinely replaced
    front strut tower steel cracking/ stretching
    t-stat issues, causing overheat issues, causing cylinder head warping
    complicated waterpump replacement $$$
    muffler hangers rust, mufflers rust (we're talking about a 2-3 year old hanger)

    Hope that helps, I honestly could not think of a worse car to buy as a daily driver. Just trying to save you some money and headache.

    Leave a comment:


  • BenM
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac


    No sand, just saying think about it. An unreliable car, with expensive parts/service, and buying a car for it's snow capabilities in OK isn't exactly great justification. We have maybe 5-7 days of snow per year here.
    I was just joking dude, but I hear what you're saying. My dad bought one new back in 2004 (S4 Avant w/ 6-speed, one of the first in the country) and he loved it and was extremely reliable to boot. No CEL, no premature suspension wear, engine issues, etc. The only issue he had was 3 weeks into owning it, the shift linkage got was messed up, apparently a common problem. Other than that, it was very reliable.

    The timing chain is at the rear of the motor, making it a real bitch to do. However, if anything goes wrong with the electronics, its a DIY job with the VCDS system (www.ross-tech.com).

    I didn't realize OK doesn't get much snow every year, but they make great DD (despite poor MPG).

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    FredK, no thanks. The only reason I have this car now is because my mom gave it to me when I was in college to replace the junk car I had been driving after selling my Z31.

    Actually I was thinking more along the lines of an S197 *gasp*

    Originally posted by BenM
    Jesus, who put sand in your tampon?

    I think an E36 M3 would be a far better choice than an R53, or as jflip suggested a 318ti. A clean 328i would be a nice choice too. What about an E46?
    No sand, just saying think about it. An unreliable car, with expensive parts/service, and buying a car for it's snow capabilities in OK isn't exactly great justification. We have maybe 5-7 days of snow per year here.

    I want a DD that isn't going to be PITA.

    dirty30, thank you for your succint response to the thread, however, would care to expound upon your profound knowledge of said vehicle?

    Leave a comment:


  • dirty30
    replied
    They are pieces of shit.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    V8 and not a BMW.
    2007 Chevy Monte Carlo SS?

    Leave a comment:


  • BenM
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Stay focused gentleman, if i'm worried about parts/service on a VW why the fuck would I want to buy an Audi?

    The E36 M3, durable parts availability, shouldn't be too expensive to use on a daily basis.

    I want to know if the R53 is the same, not a bunch of suggestions about other cars that will be a pain in the ass to own, the E30 will fill that void nicely.
    Jesus, who put sand in your tampon?

    I think an E36 M3 would be a far better choice than an R53, or as jflip suggested a 318ti. A clean 328i would be a nice choice too. What about an E46?

    Leave a comment:


  • mbonder
    replied
    My parents have a cooper S and its a great little car. The only trouble they've had with it is the rear wiper motor seal crapping out and leaking oil onto the rear gate. This was an easy fix and covered under the warranty.

    Otherwise they've put almost 40k miles on it in just under 4 years. The ride is a little on the harsh side for long trips, you'll find that the suspension gets a little unsettled over larger bumps. The run flat tires add to this issue, but that's an ongoing debate for all BMW/Mini's.

    If I didn't need any real trunk space I would get the cooper S in a second, thing is like a gokart and gets 28-34mpg!

    Leave a comment:


  • jflip2002
    replied
    318ti... best DD ever.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Stay focused gentleman, if i'm worried about parts/service on a VW why the fuck would I want to buy an Audi?

    The E36 M3, durable parts availability, shouldn't be too expensive to use on a daily basis.

    I want to know if the R53 is the same, not a bunch of suggestions about other cars that will be a pain in the ass to own, the E30 will fill that void nicely.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    ^VW? Nope, never really considered one. The aspect of a fuel efficient, torquey motor is nice, but there are just so many VW horror stories......



    '98 Z34 Monte Carlo, not a bad car. The 3.8 is a nice torquey motor to have around town, however, the car just turned over 170k and is going to need more and more work to keep it roadworthy. No A/C, etc. It's just not worth putting any money into other than oil changes and fuel, although I will probably have to do front pads/rotors soon or before I would try to get rid of it.

    I'm thinking along the lines of an '04-05 Cooper S or 98-99 M3 as a replacement DD early next year, so I'll still have something fun to drive when not in the E30. Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.
    Don't overlook the 540i 6 speed. But I still hear ya. Maybe a V8 with one cam?

    Leave a comment:


  • BenM
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.
    '04 Audi S4? Terrible MPG and slightly piggish, but have amazingly comfortable seats and own in the snow. Probably a little out of your price range though.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    ^VW? Nope, never really considered one. The aspect of a fuel efficient, torquey motor is nice, but there are just so many VW horror stories......

    Originally posted by FredK
    What is your DD, anyway?

    An S5x E30 really puts the focus on the shortcomings of a DD. Like, I am so unmotivated to work on my E36 now. Hahaha.
    '98 Z34 Monte Carlo, not a bad car. The 3.8 is a nice torquey motor to have around town, however, the car just turned over 170k and is going to need more and more work to keep it roadworthy. No A/C, etc. It's just not worth putting any money into other than oil changes and fuel, although I will probably have to do front pads/rotors soon or before I would try to get rid of it.

    I'm thinking along the lines of an '04-05 Cooper S or 98-99 M3 as a replacement DD early next year, so I'll still have something fun to drive when not in the E30. Although part of me still wants something with a V8 and not a BMW.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    stay away from the CVT minis, they are crap (around 60k the gearbox chain goes out ±6k$)..
    I imagine the supercharger will also eventually need a rebuild.

    ever thought about a diesel vw? They modify easily/cheaply, there is a ton of aftermarket, and they are a a lot more roomy.

    I'm slowly starting to hate the *cheeky* look of the minis.. kinda like the vw new beetles, cool when they came out, terrible now.

    and the real deal maker for me is that I had no mini dealer in my town.. all dealer specific parts involved a 2 hour drive :-(

    Leave a comment:


  • BenM
    replied
    My buddy has a heavily modded '03 S. Very fun car to drive, but there are a few factors which make it a love/hate relationship.

    The god damned moonroof (drains, motors, etc.) and interior build quality is pretty terrible (like on par with early E36s). His radio is still messed up from the time the drains clogged and flooded part of his interior.

    Leave a comment:

Working...