Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was drooling over the smaller version

online photo sharing
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      [ATTACH]110305[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110306[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110309[/ATTACH]
      LateFan, do you have any info on Audi's contribution to the development of the 917, or was it purely a marketing / brand recognition deal for Audi?
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Oh...others here will know a lot more than me. I think the 917 was an inside Porsche project, and part of a long evolution of race cars where they worked their way up from the small displacement classes to overall wins as the goal. But they were a tiny company and it was a huge financial gamble. If they hadn't won the world championship and Le Mans it would have killed them. They sold a lot of race cars to a lot of customers after that.

Piech (grandson of Ferdinand Porsche) was behind the 917 effort as far as I've read. He was a hard driving taskmaster and was only recently forced out of Volkswagen after a family power struggle. The Porsche and VW ownership is all about Porsche family politics and spats. Norbert Singer was one of the 917 engineers I think. He went on to engineer the 935, 956/962, WSC, and the GT-1 race cars.

The Wiki tells me VW only revived the Audi brand in 1965. The "Porsche-Audi" dealer marketing and sponsorship was likely just a way to promote their new luxury brand as far as I know. There wasn't really much of an Audi company to be developing top level race cars at that point. But NOW look at where we are, with the divisions fighting each other - I wonder how all that gets worked out in the board room?
        Last edited by LateFan; 09-08-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Somebody put a Ford Coyote V8 in a Cayman...

I love crazy engine swaps, even if they turn a car from daily-drive-able to totally useless. Here’s a Porsche Cayman—a car normally fitted with a mid-mounted, low-slung flat-six— but with a big 5.0-liter Coyote V8 swapped in. It may sound like blasphemy, but just watch how much power this thing makes on the dyno.

Comment

Oh...others here will know a lot more than me. I think the 917 was an inside Porsche project, and part of a long evolution of race cars where they worked their way up from the small displacement classes to overall wins as the goal. But they were a tiny company and it was a huge financial gamble. If they hadn't won the world championship and Le Mans it would have killed them. They sold a lot of race cars to a lot of customers after that.

Piech (grandson of Ferdinand Porsche) was behind the 917 effort as far as I've read. He was a hard driving taskmaster and was only recently forced out of Volkswagen after a family power struggle. The Porsche and VW ownership is all about Porsche family politics and spats. Norbert Singer was one of the 917 engineers I think. He went on to engineer the 935, 956/962, WSC, and the GT-1 race cars.

The Wiki tells me VW only revived the Audi brand in 1965. The "Porsche-Audi" dealer marketing and sponsorship was likely just a way to promote their new luxury brand as far as I know. There wasn't really much of an Audi company to be developing top level race cars at that point. But NOW look at where we are, with the divisions fighting each other - I wonder how all that gets worked out in the board room?
            That makes sense - thanks for the info, LF.
            I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

1970 Porsche Tapiro
              Giugiaro had just joined Ital Design, this was his fourth concept car.
              Based on the 914/6 chassis with a 220hp 2.4.
              Might have been a bit hard to access the engine through the gull wing hatches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeqls29cybzy9g0sed2i.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7188485

Name:	Porsche_VW_Tapiro_Thum.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	7188486

Name:	Porsche_VW_Tapiro.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7188487

Comment

I believe that ended up being the design that the Delorean
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'd say of the same era, by the same designer, but the Porsche prototype is much better.

Name:	sqmvu7acobwbszh3jfyw.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	7188514

Comment

At a trade show in Europe somewhere, a company called JP/Dansk showed a complete new long hood, LWB 911 body. Similar to the repro muscle car bodies we've seen.

No info on whether they'll be available or for what cost. People on Pelican are speculating $30-50k. Lots of discussion on whether they would need Porsche AG approval, or whether it's just an aftermarket part like a fender - but then they can't call it a "Porsche."

Name:	911reproshell.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	7188529

Name:	911 repro JP:Dansk.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	7188530

Name:	911repro JP:Dansk.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7188531

Comment

[ATTACH]110787[/ATTACH]

Comment

COTA, photo Kurt Bradley

Name:	nuadhdctukzwxz2pn1pa.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	7188555

Comment

At a trade show in Europe somewhere, a company called JP/Dansk showed a complete new long hood, LWB 911 body. Similar to the repro muscle car bodies we've seen.

No info on whether they'll be available or for what cost. People on Pelican are speculating $30-50k. Lots of discussion on whether they would need Porsche AG approval, or whether it's just an aftermarket part like a fender - but then they can't call it a "Porsche."

[ATTACH]110761[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110762[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110763[/ATTACH]
                          cool...

but word is that dansk revealed this shell only to show the panels they offer.....and it was not a totally Dansk parts car.
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

ah...like we could afford one anyway!

Comment

The 919 on 9/19....

Qualifying lap record at Le Mans 2015 (Neel Jani, 3:16.887)
                              BTW, in 1971, Pedro Rodriguez drove the 917 to a 3:13.190 all-time record on the old course pre-chicanes.

It sounds like a freaking rocket ship and sticks like a vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X