The Porsche thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Porsche thread.

Drove out to Carson CA for basically no reason yesterday so as I was leaving and noticed the Porsche Experience I figured I should make a stop...

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Holy crap! Awesome.....
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

What is a "long nose" 911? Is that as opposed to a slant nose?
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          What is a "long nose" 911? Is that as opposed to a slant nose?
          A long nose is an early 911, before the redesign for impact bumpers.

Comment

Nice pics, Simon! I gotta admit I sorta dig the 919 spaceship.

George - as rturbo mentioned....

1972 911...long hood, simple clean bumper, turn signals / horn grills, lower valance. The smooth form from the headlight trim to the rear fender and taillights is part of the genius of this car. The hood dives down between the headlights very similar to the 356, and with direct connection to the 904 / 906 / 908 / 917.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2244859858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	7196300

The high point of the early long hood cars was the 1973 RS 2.7 and the race version, the RSR.

Name:	screenshot0062.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	7196301

In 1974, they did this to the nose. Shorter hood, different fenders, big heavy impact bumpers.

Name:	1974-porsche-911-27-coupe.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	7196302

Then the factory and misguided private parties did this to the nose on several "customs," ruining the entire proportion of the car. It has some justification in that the factory built 934 / 935 race cars with a "slant nose" for aero. But it doesn't reduce the frontal area. It looks like an 80s kit car front clip glued onto a 911 at the windshield.

Name:	63e30f83d8452794a265f56ea133af653cda1e2f.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7196303
            Last edited by LateFan; 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH]120228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120229[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                Nice pics, Simon! I gotta admit I sorta dig the 919 spaceship.

George - as rturbo mentioned....

1972 911...long hood, simple clean bumper, turn signals / horn grills, lower valance. The smooth form from the headlight trim to the rear fender and taillights is part of the genius of this car. The hood dives down between the headlights very similar to the 356, and with direct connection to the 904 / 906 / 908 / 917.

[ATTACH]120201[/ATTACH]

The high point of the early long hood cars was the 1973 RS 2.7 and the race version, the RSR.

[ATTACH]120202[/ATTACH]

In 1974, they did this to the nose. Shorter hood, different fenders, big heavy impact bumpers.

[ATTACH]120203[/ATTACH]

Then the factory and misguided private parties did this to the nose on several "customs," ruining the entire proportion of the car. It has some justification in that the factory built 934 / 935 race cars with a "slant nose" for aero. But it doesn't reduce the frontal area. It looks like an 80s kit car front clip glued onto a 911 at the windshield.

[ATTACH]120205[/ATTACH]
                Nice short history of 911 hoods! I would prefer a "long hood" but those have become too rich for my bank account. I still love the short hood and impact bumper on my 87 Carrera - nostalgia for my youth when I always lusted over anything made in Zuffenhausen!

Comment

Y'know, a car that I've gained more appreciation for is the Euro-only MFI '74-'75 Carrera RS, which had the big bumpers, but was low and wide and fast. Same 911/83, 210hp 2.7 as the '73 and about the same weight. I think if I had a car of the bumper era, I'd try to tweak it to this look (maybe without the script).

Name:	an1116-273533_2@2x.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	7196346

There was also a Carrera RS 3.0 in those same years, with the very different 911/77 230hp engine.

Name:	1974_Porsche_911CarreraRS302.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	7196347

I believe the RSR version of this car was the basis of the IROC series jellybean cars. All Penske-supplied, 3.0s with 315hp. The cross-discipline series was Penske's idea.

According to Sports Car Market:
                  "Penske consulted with his star driver, Mark Donohue. His answer was unequivocal: If Penske wanted a strong, fast, reliable and consistent racing car, the only reasonable choice was a Porsche. Donohue suggested that Penske contact the Porsche factory and order a run of the latest racing 911s. Donohue had been impressed by the RSR’s handling and durability and was also confident that the engineers at Porsche could prepare a fleet of identically matched race cars — a challenging feat in its own right. Penske followed Donohue’s advice and, at his request, Porsche built 15 examples of the 911 Carrera RSR for the IROC series. Built to identical specifications, the IROC RSRs were essentially hybrids of the 1973 model 2.8 RSR and the new-for-1974 3.0 RSR. The IROC RSRs were all painted in bright colors with black Porsche script on the rockers for maximum impact on television."

Name:	4786.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7196348

Name:	IROC1314857192.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7196349

Name:	tumblr_ma9asfBWm81qb4pobo1_1280.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	7196350

<EDIT> I think that orange Donohue car is a replica / tribute. The name plates are wrong, and they all had a number.
                  Last edited by LateFan; 03-28-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

If anyone is interested....or know someone that might be... https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedRocketLabs

Shop Red Rocket Labs by RedRocketLabs located in Seattle, Washington. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

^^ Those are great, George.

By hand at Gmund

Name:	gmund.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	7196367

Name:	911blue.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7196368

Name:	917s.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	7196369

Comment

Porsche built a "tribute" 919 to go on tour this season as a goodbye. Screw the LMP1 rules, we'll build it the way we want - so it has modified aero with skirts and a big wing hanging off the back. It's lighter than minimum. It has no lights or required A/C or hydraulic jacks.

They bumped up the electrical output - "On his record lap Neel Jani enjoyed a full boost of 8.49 megajoule – the e-machine’s output increased by ten per cent from 400 to 440 HP."

They increased fuel flow to crank up the 2-liter turbo V4 from 500hp to something like 720hp alone. Sooo...that's 1160hp.....

Here's a video of it wailing around the Spa circuit. It beat the F1 lap record by a second, but that was last year's cars. Not sure what the little puff of smoke is at the dip in Eau Rouge - looks like tire smoke rather than dragging the bottom...it's not coming out of the exhaust, it's coming from underneath. I'm not sure you'd be braking at that critical spot.

Voici une petite video des essais de la Porsche 919 Tribute, avec laquelle Neel Jani a battu le record de Spa-Francorchamps en faisant un chrono de 1.41.770 ...

They're taking it to the Nurburgring for a run - the track was changed since Bellof's 956 record, so you can't compare the two, and many people believe trying to break that record would be insane or suicidal anyway.

Whatever else people think of Porsche as a company, they can build a damn good race car.

Name:	ske304h1jomkyhpybfuk.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	7196481

Comment

a bargain here........lol

1968 Porsche 912 959 CloneThis interesting 1968 Porsche 912 959 Clone presented here in champagne metallic with brown interior comes equipped with an American engine, manual transmission, 959 body kit and alloy wheels. It has lots of potential and an excellent project for the right person.&nbsp;If you have any additional questions Please call 310-975-0272 or email with any questions! We also welcome all international buyers. We can help with shipping quotes and arrangements.This interesting 1968 Porsche 912 959 Clone presented here in champagne metallic with brown interior comes equipped with an American engine, manual transmission, 959 body kit and alloy wheels. It has lots of potential and an excellent project for the right person.&nbsp;
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Haaha! A BHCC classic! "...presented here in champagne metallic..."

Name:	mockingly funny.png
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	7196493

Sad dog face is sad....

Name:	sad dog.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	7196492

Comment

[ATTACH]120863[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120864[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120866[/ATTACH]

Comment

This has been bugging me. The Mission E prototype is a stunning design. Very Porsche-family in proportions and details. It's hard to tell if maybe it's really large (which to me is a real negative).

But the fenders, the nose, the narrow greenhouse and the way it sits down in the body, the narrow waist, the way the whole car hangs down low over it's wheels....

Name:	Mission E front.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	7196669

But lately test mule pics have been popping up, and are a completely different car. None of the proportions or style of the prototype we saw. This is a Porsche Camry... Look at the bland flat fenders, the wide windshield, the bland side profile which has none of the coke bottle shaping.
                                (Yes, they've hidden the cool lights inside some tape)

Name:	Mission E mule front.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7196670

Now I realize manufacturers often hide the guts of a prototype in a cobbled up shell in order to do basic testing (not just plastic cladding and tape, but a different car. Remember the badass funked up 918 prototype? They used everything in the shop and some spare 911 bits on a Friday afternoon to cover up the chassis. But it had all the proportions of the real car underneath - wheelbase, width, mid-engine, the way it sat.

Name:	porsche-918-spyder-prototype.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	7196671

This car has none of that. I can't even figure out what existing bits they made it out of. It's really long. Like really long. Could it be a Panamera with a different nose and tail?

Name:	Mission E mule left side.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	7196673

Name:	porsche-panamera.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7196672
                                Last edited by LateFan; 04-27-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X