personal trainer, waste of time/money?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by fannman
    I'm 18, 6" and 205 pounds, last year I had a awesome work out routine. Gained almost 30 pounds of muscle in a year, and drank protein shakes before and after my workout. This year I have not lifted in over 4 months and I'm starting to regret it. Ive lost some muscle mass over the months. So my biggest suggestion is to stick with your routine and don't quit on yourself. also try to change your routine after a period of time so your body does'nt get used to it. I'm going to start my routine up now after reading this thread!
    Do it. I've had too many periods like that. In fact, I just came back from one a few weeks ago after breaking up with the gf, I've been going every day. Not necessarily just to look good, but it helps with the feeling that your life is on track and just makes you feel good in general.

    Arnold agrees with me:
    Last edited by Wh33lhop; 05-18-2010, 06:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • fannman
    replied
    I'm 18, 6" and 205 pounds, last year I had a awesome work out routine. Gained almost 30 pounds of muscle in a year, and drank protein shakes before and after my workout. This year I have not lifted in over 4 months and I'm starting to regret it. Ive lost some muscle mass over the months. So my biggest suggestion is to stick with your routine and don't quit on yourself. also try to change your routine after a period of time so your body does'nt get used to it. I'm going to start my routine up now after reading this thread!

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by 87e30
    I'm ~5' 10" ish and ~145lbs aka really skinny. I may be 5' 11" and 140 some days.

    I've never had the desire to get bigger until reading this thread. damn it.
    It's definitely a good feeling to be in shape and strong/manly/big/whatever, but girls really don't give two shits. When was the last time you saw a super hot girl dating a quintessentially good looking guy in really good shape? Conversely, when was the last time you saw someone who was ripped dating a really attractive girl?

    However, I think even if you're not looking to bulk up, physical activity and regular gym visits will do anybody good, physically and mentally.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Additionally, the home/gym workout thing is mostly personal preference, you can do lots of useful stuff at home without investing in machines and racks, but it has its limitations. I'm not sure how you can squat 200+lbs at home without a bar, weights and a rack.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ray Smoodiver
    replied
    Quinoa is one of the best things you can eat, if you can find it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by CreamE30
    Right. I'm to understand that chicken and rice are good starters as well as eggs right?
    Yep, not typical white steamed (sticky) rice though; brown rice will do you good. Chicken and turkey are great. Eggs are great. Nonfat yogurt/cottage cheese are both good. I get vanilla lowfat/nonfat yogurt from Trader Joes for like $2.50 per quart, stuff is awesome.

    I generally try and time a protein shake to act quickly after my workouts. Whey protein is great as it digests quickly (30 minutes to an hour typical digestion time), egg protein generally takes about 2 hours. Stuff you get from eating meat typically takes about 4ish hours to digest, and casein protein (mostly found in milk and dairy) takes longest at about 5-7 hours. Soy protein is somewhere in the middle, I can't remember. Basically, you want to have protein available to your body throughout as much of the day as you can, and some extra whey after or before a workout is never a bad thing. But in general, eating healthy food will be better for you than drinking a shake, and will go further towards muscle growth if they both have equal protein content. It just won't be as fast-acting.
    Last edited by Wh33lhop; 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    no protein powder??? Yea OK THERE Lil' Fella.

    you increasing your protein with one shake a day is fine. i like to increase my protein intake with actual clean/good food, then make up the difference with whey protein. i get more benifits from that then pure protein shakes. i have been doing since i was 19 and i am 38 now so i can put down the food i need to and make up the difference with shakes.

    you will feel better and more satisified by filling up with real food than with shakes. give that a shot first.

    Leave a comment:


  • CreamE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Like we've said, don't rely on protein shakes plus your regular diet. You need to change your entire diet, protein shakes should just be a supplement.
    Right. I'm to understand that chicken and rice are good starters as well as eggs right?

    Leave a comment:


  • 87e30
    replied
    I'm ~5' 10" ish and ~145lbs aka really skinny. I may be 5' 11" and 140 some days.

    I've never had the desire to get bigger until reading this thread. damn it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Like we've said, don't rely on protein shakes plus your regular diet. You need to change your entire diet, protein shakes should just be a supplement.

    Leave a comment:


  • CreamE30
    replied
    well I have a bag of 100% whey protein mix that I've started using again today. According to what you guys are telling me, I should drink about 3 shakes a day to get the proper protein. I'm going to start with one a day and see how well I do with that for starters. Think this would be an alright thing to do?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by joshuaaa
    my suggestion is dont waste any money on shakes and protein powders and all that crap. the majority of those dont get used by your body.
    Oh really.

    Leave a comment:


  • joshuaaa
    replied
    i just love how people compare fitness to how much they can bench press haha.

    but crossfit is definately a great system to go with.

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by drumad
    Dammit. I want to relive my glory days of high school football. Asian guy, 6'2", 260, defensive end. LMAO. Eff, listen here, all you fucks in high school enjoy it now bc you'll be old sooner than you know.
    1+ Time goes by too fast.

    Leave a comment:


  • bataangpinoy
    replied
    jeez man i thought i was big for an asian guy

    5'11 220 d-tackle(i am still really fast and strong)

    Leave a comment:

Working...