personal trainer, waste of time/money?
Collapse
X
-
Dammit. I want to relive my glory days of high school football. Asian guy, 6'2", 260, defensive end. LMAO. Eff, listen here, all you fucks in high school enjoy it now bc you'll be old sooner than you know. -
I am 6'7'' 240lbs and I am German and American Indian. God blessed me with being a monster. I don't workout too much though, I work construction, so that is more than enough. I can bench 350lbs and curl 125.
But my buddy that is small wanted to get bigger, he ate lots of carbs then built on it at the gym. He is much bigger now too, you can also.
Curling, push ups, pull ups. When you bench, start out small and add a little bit more as you go. It is better to not push yourself over the edge with just 8-10 heavy benches then do 50 with less. You will get a better workout in the end. Pull ups can be one of the best for you in the upper body section. You can also work your core while you do them too. Just lift your legs out straight while you lift, the burn is 5 fold.
But in the end this is how it works, Fat+working out= bulkLeave a comment:
-
yes yes yes.
plus you sound like you need to work on your legs as squats/deadlifts release the most growth hormone.
want to train hardcore? I'll say again, look into cross fit
CrossFit offers a results-based, community-driven approach that helps you build fitness and improve your health. Learn more about CrossFit here!
the WODs are killerLeave a comment:
-
my suggestion is dont waste any money on shakes and protein powders and all that crap. the majority of those dont get used by your body. get a set of dumbells that can have weights changed on them. and try to find a bench that you can adjust for incline and decline. then you can pretty much do any workout needed for most of your body off that.
a personal trainer doesnt really do awhole lot for you unless your too lazy to search for workout routines on google. and if you arent willing to do that i doubt youll stick to a routine with a pt very long anyways.
good luck with your goals man. dont forget to get cardio in. muscle strength is wasted without the endurance to use it.Leave a comment:
-
He is 5'4, so I wouldn't say that is morbidly skinny for that height. I am almost a foot taller and until recently was around 139, but now I am up to 155. I am the same age as him. A lot of heavy weights is good, I haven't done any dead lifts or anything like that so I can't comment on how productive that is, but my workout routine has worked out decent, with me getting a lot stronger. Sadly as a college student I can't afford enough food to get the most out of my workouts, so I haven't seen huge gains but it is going steadily with increases in how much i can bench and leg press.Leave a comment:
-
there is no reason to avoid red meat at all! especially if you are looking to gain weight (muscle). you may want to adjust your red meat choices to a leaner cut. ny strip insted of porterhouse/t bone. when i am training hard i will soak chuck steak in brisket marinade and cube it and cook it for snacks.
fish is also good. low fat dense protein. immitation crab meat is also a cheap source of dense fish protein.
you should do around 30 min of cardio for every hour of lifting. i like to break it up into 3, 10 min sessions. 10 min in the begining of the work out, 10 min in the middle , and 10 min in the end of the workout . i also do spin class 1-2 times a week for 1 hour and walk the dog for 3 1/2 miles every other night.
when the weather is not so hot, i hike camelback mountain which is a hard uphill 5 mile hike up and 5 miles down every weekend. it usually is about a 45 min up and down if i haul ass.Leave a comment:
-
How old are you? 120 pounds does not sound like a healthy weight if you older than 15ish.
Like everyone else said, eat a lot and eat well. You want carbs and protein and not too much fat. So eat tons of chicken or turkey and complex carbs like whole wheat bread, brown rice, vegetables, etc. Try to avoid red meat and simple carbs like white bread and white rice. If you must have dairy, go lowfat or nonfat, after a while you won't even notice the taste difference. If you make an oily foods, use olive oil. Also, instead of eating few large meals, you should eat smaller meals and snacks throughout your day.
As far as lifts all you need are some dumbells. Lift 3 or 4 times a week and alternate exercises so your body can rest. So, one day do your chest and legs the next day do your back and arms, then the next day go back to chest and legs and so on.
Also, intense cardio should be a part of just about any good workout but since you want to gain weight you might want to avoid it. I dunno to be honest. Hey guys, should he do cardio?Leave a comment:
-
you know, you can do alot with the basic things you have.
i do home workouts because i can focus where its quiet and i have so much more room to use up.
look into full body work outs. ive been following a training circuit called the 'spartacus workout' from mens health,and although i have above average cardio and prior weight training, the first time i did ONE 12min. circuit, i was sore for 4 days.
its great for toning, weight loss and cardio as it targets the quadraceps(thighs) which is why you will burn off calories. i think the average from a full cycle(2 circuits) is 732 calories. not bad for under 30 minutes!
all you need really is a good set of dumbells.
and pull ups are your friend.Leave a comment:
-
Haha
Wide grip weighted pullups make you the man. I could crank out 5 or so with 40lbs hanging from my waist, but I know of at least one guy on here (phenryiv1) who could do them with 100lbs hanging there...Leave a comment:
-
at his size he should be able to crank out pull ups all day
took me forever to finally incorporate pull ups into my workouts
pull ups at 190 > pull ups at 260 LMAOLeave a comment:
-
I'm 6', dropped to below 140lbs at some point a few years ago. Now I'm about 170lbs, I'm not ripped beyond belief or anything but it's a huge improvement. The three things that I needed to remember:
-Eat lots, eat often and eat healthy. I try and eat something of substance every 2-3 hours. If you naturally do not eat a lot then just supplementing your diet with protein shakes is not going to cut it.
-Don't overtrain (I have been sore from workouts for a week afterwards, typically it's better to gym often and not work yourself to the bone)
-You can do home workouts but I've found they aren't a great substitute if you're not super committed to them. If I do a home workout it generally consists of pseudo planche pushups, curls for the girls, situps and cleans. At the gym, bench, dips, pull ups, upright/shoulder press, squats, deadlifts... the list goes on. And yes, pull ups in any way, shape or form are awesome. Do them.Last edited by Wh33lhop; 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM.Leave a comment:
-
muscle weighs more than fat.
booze (more so beer than hard alcohol) will pack on body fat quick! the calories are not good for energy and convert to fat easily.
not that you can't drink, but doing it in moderation will make a big difference.Leave a comment:
-
im 20, and 6 months ago i weighed 130/135 lbs. After 6 months at the gym and taking "Up Your Mass" im up to close to 150. and i ate everything in sight. No personal trainer, except 2 sessions to learn the gym equipmentLeave a comment:
-
I'm 21. I'm actually trying to start cutting back my drinking. Its lost its novelty and now I just like to enjoy the beer and maybe get a lil trashed at a buddies house every so often. I've noticed that I've been gaining weight and I think its because of how much more I drank this past year than the last.Leave a comment:
-
I take a multivitamin and it only has 6.5mg of calcium in the form of Calcium Pantothenate, whereas my Calcium specific supplement is giving a range of Calcium complexes for equivalent 255mg elemental Calcium per tablet, max recommended dose 4 per day, so yea, a calcium specific supplement is a good idea.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: