personal trainer, waste of time/money?
Collapse
X
-
Sorry, when I say get bigger I mean increase muscle mass. Muscle is heavier than fat right?Leave a comment:
-
ardoi will make you leaner but will not put on bulk muscle (getting bigger) but you need cardio to get and stay lean. try your routein out and see if you are gaining any size/muscle. if you are not satisfied with the size gain, then cut back on the cardio and increase the lifting.Leave a comment:
-
when you are saying you want to "get bigger" you are saying you want to gain muscle. muscle IS weight and is getting bigger.
get a WHEY protein, not a weight gainer. weight gainers have more calories than you could EVER needbor can work off, even when you are on the juice. (BTW DO NOT do any steroids or prohormones until you are atleast 25 or older. at your age your test levels are still through the roof and by taking a synthetic test you will cause you natural levels to be suppressed while you are on).
join a gym OR take a weight training class at your local JC. that will give some background and instruction and access to a pretty well equiped gym for way less than a regular gym membership will cost you. once you take the class you can usually get access to the gym for an even lower rate.
if you do sign up for a gym membership, pay it all up front. this will save you the finance charges that you incur when you do monthly and is a better motivator to go since you already spent the money.Leave a comment:
-
^^ would a multivitamin have the calcium supplement I need in it or would it not be enough. I do have this bottle of OneSource multivitamin for teens, but I'm 21 so its not like thats a huge deal is it? My body doesn't know its a teenager or 20 year old or w/e.
Edit: Not sure if its relevant but I did use to be almost a full time athlete. I played soccer in the fall for a club team, track in the winter and varsity soccer as well as my club team in the spring. I'm still pretty fit, I just want to get a little beefier as has been stated before.
I honestly have no idea how much protein I take in throughout the day (inb4 cum jokes). My breakfast is usually a bagel with peanut butter if i have the time, lunch is whatever I can find. And dinner is whatever the 'rents want to cook up as well.
I'm guessing if I had three protein shakes through the day, breakfast, lunch, after dinner, I'd reach the right amount of protein. This coupled with vitamins to keep the rest of my body stable and regular workouts and running would get me to my goal assuming I stick to it and do everything properly and safely. Sound about right?Last edited by CreamE30; 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Yea, around 108g of protein would be ideal, and probably three times as much as he's getting right now!I kept reading your post and was like.. wtf? i just said that but realized you said kg and not lb :P. So if I did it right, you'd say that around 100~ grams would be sufficient? Regardless, I'm sure that 100~ grams is much more than he eats in a day.
Word on the mutli, I personally take Univ Animal Pak, even when I'm not on a "diet" or in a health phase. Sort of became a normal part of my day.
If anything, take protein to speed up recovery, which means you can train harder, faster, longer, and not feel like you've over trained, or that you can't hit the gym day after day because your body is giving up on you.Leave a comment:
-
I kept reading your post and was like.. wtf? i just said that but realized you said kg and not lb :P. So if I did it right, you'd say that around 100~ grams would be sufficient? Regardless, I'm sure that 100~ grams is much more than he eats in a day.That's at the upper limit for protein intake. any more than 2g/kg and your kidney function really starts to be affected.
Take a Calcium supplement too, your joints will thank you, as calcium loss occurs with such high protein intake.
Take a multivitamin too, as your B6 absorption rates will drop through the floor with that much protein being processed.
Word on the mutli, I personally take Univ Animal Pak, even when I'm not on a "diet" or in a health phase. Sort of became a normal part of my day.Leave a comment:
-
check out the bodybuilding.com forums, lots of info there
i would at least do a bit of personal training. dont do it every day, you dont need that. also, once you learn the technique's and workouts, you wont need them as often. Work out on your own. I would get a gym membership over just buying weights, b/c youll work out more often, b/c your paying money each month and you dont go often, youll feel like your wasting your money, and force yourself to go.Leave a comment:
-
That's at the upper limit for protein intake. any more than 2g/kg and your kidney function really starts to be affected.I'm going to say this now.
Focusing on just one aspect - workouts over diet etc will not yield what you want.
You should be very concerned with your diet. You say you weigh 120 lbs? You should be taking at the very least, 120 grams of protein. You're trying to get big so you should be putting down 1.0-1.5 your body weight in grams of protein. So around 120 to 180 grams is your goal. I'm not saying to eat to gain weight, but to eat to support your muscle growth, which will then help you gain weight.
Plus with your height, you should be able to build up monster squat strength as well.
Take a Calcium supplement too, your joints will thank you, as calcium loss occurs with such high protein intake.
Take a multivitamin too, as your B6 absorption rates will drop through the floor with that much protein being processed.Leave a comment:
-
I'm going to say this now.
Focusing on just one aspect - workouts over diet etc will not yield what you want.
You should be very concerned with your diet. You say you weigh 120 lbs? You should be taking at the very least, 120 grams of protein. You're trying to get big so you should be putting down 1.0-1.5 your body weight in grams of protein. So around 120 to 180 grams is your goal. I'm not saying to eat to gain weight, but to eat to support your muscle growth, which will then help you gain weight.
Plus with your height, you should be able to build up monster squat strength as well.Leave a comment:
-
Good advice guys. I have a buddy who's been working out for a while now. I was honestly pretty surprised when he said all he has are dumbells and nothing else. The only thing he really has over me is a bench and different weights, so I think I'm just going to spend some cash on more weights and a bench possibly and go from there.
I'm not too concerned with gaining weight through diet, as much as I am with dieting correctly to help fuel me to work out and build muscle. I have that whey protein mix stuff that tastes like shit that I'm going to start using again. I've gained a little weight recently because I think that since I was 18 (21 now) my metabolism has backed off a little bit.Leave a comment:
-
There's plenty of other ways to get in shape than to pay some creep to help you work out.Why not? Say the guy goes straight into a heavy lifting program without learning how to do proper squats/deadlifts/cleans? He can throw out his back and/or injure himself in several other ways.
I'm not exactly the right person to say since I went into squatting with minimal guidance and didnt hurt myself, but if I were ot do it again, I'd get a trainer/join a class.
OP: do pull ups and jump rope. No way to hurt yourself. Save your money and use on the e30. :DLeave a comment:
-
Why not? Say the guy goes straight into a heavy lifting program without learning how to do proper squats/deadlifts/cleans? He can throw out his back and/or injure himself in several other ways.
I'm not exactly the right person to say since I went into squatting with minimal guidance and didnt hurt myself, but if I were ot do it again, I'd get a trainer/join a class.
this as well. I'm sure you have at least one friend who works out on the regular and is more than willing to help you.
Oh OP, if you have money, look into Cross Fit. That WILL tear you up.Leave a comment:
-
PT's are good if you don't have any friends that work out and you are clueless on what to do. they will give you some direction and guidence. take that knowledge and run with it. buddy up to a few people in the gym for advice if you get stuck. you are golden.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: