Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ak-
    replied
    I have an sv650 and I can't recommend them enough if you're a beginner who already knows how to ride.
    Todd is right about the suspension though and it is people's first choice of upgrade if you like riding spirited. I'm 190 and feel like it's holding me back.
    The bike also has a lotttttt of engine braking which is great for beginners imo.
    2003+ are the fuel injected ones. 2003 had the oddball frame, so try to purchase a 2004+ so you have parts readily available.

Yellow bike.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    A SuperMoto is fine depending on the riding you'll be doing. If it is all back road/side streets...basically no freeways/high speed constant riding.

yeah the Duke and hypermotard from ktm/ducati are much more highway friendly.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumrarechicken
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting my first bike, I think a drz400sm would be ok for a little while, but then the lack of power would get to me. I've rode various dirt bikes up to a cr500,which the few times I rode it, it was retarded fast when I could open it up. Pretty much the choices with more power are ktm and Ducati yeah?

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    +1 for a sv650/s

Leave a comment:

• Todd Black 88
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Maybe an SV650 instead, or something fuel injected like a VFR800, CBR600F4i, or a GSX650F. Yes, they are all more powerful than an GS, but they are also far more likely to hold your interest than a GS, which just isn't an exciting ride (it is competent, practical and cheap of course).
    My wife had a sv650s.

It was a good bike, but if you are 175lbs and over you will overwhelm the front suspension if you ride it hard.

Get a dual sport like a klr650. Multi use.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Maybe an SV650 instead, or something fuel injected like a VFR800, CBR600F4i, or a GSX650F. Yes, they are all more powerful than an GS, but they are also far more likely to hold your interest than a GS, which just isn't an exciting ride (it is competent, practical and cheap of course).

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Those are good beginner bikes.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    How do we feel about gs500s for someone getting another motorcycle after not having one for a year? Barely rode my first one, spent most of its life under my ownership idling in the driveway, trying to get the damn thing to run right until I blew it up. I probably put 100 miles on it total. This time around, I'm hoping to get something I can just ride/commute on that wont be overwhelming to essentially an entry level rider while not being a 250.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Nah, it's just flat shifting for your bike. Doesn't take away any fun on street or track, it is fun to bang through the gears without lifting and does make a difference in the 1/4mi if you're so inclined.
    Off topic, love your avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan...
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    ^oowee thats a pretty piece.
    I love yellow ducatis

This is one of my favorite bikes ever (aesthetically speaking, havent ridden enough to have a mech/performance opionion)
    Thanks! I was unsure about yellow until I saw it in person, it's really grown on me :)

I had a 916 a couple years back, absolutely beautiful bike, but damn was it uncomfortable for cruising to/from work! Whereas I could easily ride any of my CBRs, R6, GSXR, etc, the 916 made my wrists, elbows, knees, back, and butt hurt after about 30 minutes lol

Awesome bike for carving up twisty roads, but not much else. I do miss it terribly :(

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    ^oowee thats a pretty piece.
    I love yellow ducatis

This is one of my favorite bikes ever (aesthetically speaking, havent ridden enough to have a mech/performance opionion)

Leave a comment:

• Ryan...
    replied
    Picked up a 2000 Ducati ST4 with some internal upgrades (hotter cam/pistons/ecu) and sprockets to use as my new daily rider.

Leave a comment:

• bikerbill2021
    replied
    Originally posted by MasukBMW View Post
    Any non-manufacturer/model specif motorcycle forums or blogs you guys like? I have my car websites, havent found many motorcycle sites I like.

I like ThumperTalk for my off road stuff, but aside from model specific ones ill lurk to get info for repairs/mods and what not, R3V is pretty much the only automotive forum I use still to this day, and I havent owned an e30 in almost 10 years :nice:

Leave a comment:

• MasukBMW
    replied
    Any non-manufacturer/model specif motorcycle forums or blogs you guys like? I have my car websites, havent found many motorcycle sites I like.

Leave a comment:

• coldweatherblue
    replied
    Spring?

The E30 was in the shop for a bit over winter so I put 3k miles on the V-Strom doing daily transportation duty in Dec-Jan.

Still found some fun-time but overall, glad my car's back and it's not 15 degrees anymore...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X