Urban Exploring - Hobby of yours?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • twism
    replied
    There was a website or blog that I think a girl made about her trip to the abundant city of Chernobil after the explosion back in the 80s. Some pictures gave me goosebumps when you see stuff that people left more than 20 years ago and its still sitting in the same way.

    OP really cool pictures!!!

    ps: Ok I found the website and I'm going to post some pix:







    This is a quote from the website: "May 1st never came in this town. On April 27th, the whole population was evacuated and this street has not seen a parade since....and probably never will again."

    and the street that she is talking about:







    that is the website if you're interested in reading the story and seeing all pictures. It's in english

    Last edited by twism; 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • noE30
    replied
    I love seeing photography like this, wonder if theres anything good around here? Theres a photographer on the vwvortex photo forum that goes to some pretty sweet places.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30-RTN
    replied
    It is a mecca, Sadly.

    I did fine one hell of a site though.
    A study of several historically significant abandoned buildings in Detroit Michigan including historical material and recent interior and exterior photographs.


    Here are some of my personal favorites.

    Michigan Grand Central Station.
    History and photographs of Detroit's abandoned Michigan Central Station.


    Michigan's Fisher Body Plant #21
    Fisher Body 21, Detroit, Detroit History, Body by Fisher


    Different site but has good info on my favorite building.
    The Packard Plant.

    There is actually a old Packard with a Flathead straight 8 in it.

    Enjoy.

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Jealous of detroit. Seems like a mecca!

    Leave a comment:


  • e30-RTN
    replied
    Very nice. I bet Atlanta has some nice places to check out.

    Ive been in some interesting places here in detroit. Urbex (as you put it) is one of the most harmless illegal activities you can do while being extremely fun and entertaining at the same time.

    there used to be a website www.forgottenmichigan.com but it looks like it's down now. Might be on the waybackmachine.

    Anywho, Keep it up and post more pics!

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Sweet UK Site!

    Leave a comment:


  • Lof8
    replied
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/

    This british forum is pretty awesome. Places that used to bustle and are now vacated are what intrigue me. Old amusement parks and stuff like that are really interesting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan...
    replied
    Those are sweet pics, and I'm also digging the Mama Tried!

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Sort of...

    There are some communities but you are not exactly welcomed with open arms. Many will not just give an address or GPS coordinates to spots. You join the forums. Mingle. Wait for a meet to be posted. Come and check them out. You can post around and eventually find some basic spots via PMs and some forum posts.

    Problem is the hobby has a negative tone to it. So I guess it is 'secretive'. More of us are looking to photograph and just take the place in. Taggers and 'kids' want to go in and tag or break stuff. So need to accepted by the locals. Go out. Then you will find much to explore :)

    PM me if you want some links.

    Leave a comment:


  • jasonsnoddy
    replied
    How do you find stuff like that? Is there like an online site of urban explorers who tell each other where shit is? I would really like to go to some places like that

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3
    Neat set, I used to like to explore old Military installations when I was young but now that I am an adult I would rather hike and do some walking in the woods.

    Problem I see with exploring urban areas is most are marked no trespassing or in my area have gang related issues with vacant buildings. I would rather not get involved in that.

    What was that structure you were wondering through?
    3 different places. Paint Factory. Prison. Battery Factory.


    Originally posted by kway
    "Mama Tried" is awesome. I wouldn't mind having a print of that to hang on the wall.
    I can watermark it and send the high res?


    Originally posted by machined
    What's left to explore? It appears you've found it.
    Well duh... I hadn't been there so I was exploring :)

    Leave a comment:


  • machined
    replied
    What's left to explore? It appears you've found it.

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Neat set, I used to like to explore old Military installations when I was young but now that I am an adult I would rather hike and do some walking in the woods.

    Problem I see with exploring urban areas is most are marked no trespassing or in my area have gang related issues with vacant buildings. I would rather not get involved in that.

    What was that structure you were wondering through?

    Leave a comment:


  • kway
    replied
    "Mama Tried" is awesome. I wouldn't mind having a print of that to hang on the wall.

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Yah. Up to about 4000x3000? That work? You could crop to size to your desktop?

    Leave a comment:

Working...