Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

It seems this past week every morning the site is down.

What gives. :hitler:
    1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

why the hell do you have to double post shit!?
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

because r3v is down so much.

Comment

lol
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
          because r3v is down so much.
          double posting is what causes it to crash...

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

well shit.

Comment

it has sucked for me too

Comment

It's barely up for me to post in these double posting posts.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Down for me a lot also.

Comment

The challenge appears to be PHP getting stuck and not recovering from the database running its daily backups.

Several weeks ago I changed how the backups scripts are designed due to frequent corrupt backups that I could not test restore from. During this period I upgraded PHP to the latest version in the 5.2.X string, implemented a new backup NAS, and cleaned up several of the manual scripts I had written to keep the site auto-maintained throughout the time its operational.

A few weeks after all of this happened, during the 2am backup script (which is a series of *nix shell scripts that mount a samba share (the NAS) begin a mysqldump, and clean out whatever logs I don't need anymore) the webserver (which is a separate server running Windows Server 2008 SP2) would begin getting stuck and amassing php-cgi.exe processes (microsoft and php's suggested method of using PHP on Windows is via Fast-CGI) causing the site to not respond to PHP queries. As 99% of the site IS PHP this began to cause an issue.

At that point I made changes to the w3wp IIS worker process to attempt to isolate the amount of memory PHP could use and have it automatically recycle the process in the even that it got too high. I noticed that 99% of the time a simple IISRESET would clear the issue and the site would go back to normal performance.

After making the changes to the worker process, and configuring automatic iis process recycling the problem appeared to have gone away.

Yesterday PHP stopped responding completely requiring a full reboot of the server. Due to my own negligence of leaving the Seagate NAS CD in the drive the server tried to boot from that and got stuck, requiring me to go down to the datacenter and solve the issue on site. Removing the CD quickly solved that issue and got the site running again.

This mornings issue was different. PHP was responding, however any login / database write activities caused PHP to get stuck again.

I changed PHP back to 5.2.5 (X64) changed a few other settings and we will see how it acts this evening. If not I'll try a few other things.

Sorry for the downtime. I don't like making large changes to the site as they can easily cause issues (like THESE).

I'll figure it out, one way or another I'll get it stable again.

Comment

Jeez James. It's not like you're you know... doing anything. Fuck. ARE YOU DONE YET?
                      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

So, ummmmm, yeah.

I understood all that.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Thank for the explanation. I know how PHP can be a complete bitch sometimes.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know the site was so complex to run and maintain. Kudos, James!
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

In James We Trust.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                              '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                              '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X