Why the hell is r3v down so much lately?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Simon S
    replied
    their cooters and bewbies are covered..

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon S
    James,

    On behalf of the r3v community - and the appropriately clad women pictured below, I salute you.

    That picture is not appropriate, didn't you read the announcement!

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    James,

    On behalf of the r3v community - and the appropriately clad women pictured below, I salute you.

    Leave a comment:


  • nmlss2006
    replied
    Originally posted by James Crivellone
    At the time we were one of the few production sites (outside of microsoft) running PHP X64 / FastCGI / IIS7. Up until now we never had a problem, and to be honest the issue cannot solely be blamed on IIS.

    The database backend is Debian with MySQL, and while I could move the web frontend to *nix platform I am happy with the performance of IIS7. The next overhaul will put us on IIS 7.5, and 2008 R2 (versus 2008)

    Apache versus IIS is a moot point these days, both are fast as hell and perform nearly the same under load..
    One of the few production sites running PHP on windows for good reason, then and now :). As to Apache versus IIS being a moot point, that might be the case if you're running static web pages. Maybe. Otherwise, see 'one of the few...' :).
    It's not that I don't appreciate the effort, mind, it's just that I hate wasted effort - I'm lazy even by proxy!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kruzen
    replied
    Originally posted by James Crivellone
    Actually I spent 50% (or more depending on the week) in Debian. My Asterisk work can't run in windows, and frankly I don't want it to.

    I actually have a decent background as well in Netware (up to 6) SCO, and some light AIX stuff to get myself into trouble occasionally.

    Only real items I have not messed with is OSX Server, but I know enough BSD (its all fricking unix anyway) to get myself around. Not that OSX Server offers anything to the enterprise market since apple dropped the X Serve line..
    Point Taken :)

    OSX Server is a pain anyway, setting it up is nice and easy, fixing it or changing it after that, not so much.

    Leave a comment:


  • 318isbmw
    replied
    James your posts make absolutely no sense to me. Thanks for doing what you do so that us computer illiterate individuals can enjoy the e30 community.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    James, you should get on-call BB to page you when there are problems with the site :)

    Hahaha j/k!

    (I love getting paged in the middle of the night for stupid shit...)

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    Originally posted by woodisgood
    Thanks for what you do James, I love this site.

    Leave a comment:


  • James Crivellone
    replied
    Originally posted by Kruzen
    Because James is a windows admin all day, plain and simple :p
    Actually I spent 50% (or more depending on the week) in Debian. My Asterisk work can't run in windows, and frankly I don't want it to.

    I actually have a decent background as well in Netware (up to 6) SCO, and some light AIX stuff to get myself into trouble occasionally.

    Only real items I have not messed with is OSX Server, but I know enough BSD (its all fricking unix anyway) to get myself around. Not that OSX Server offers anything to the enterprise market since apple dropped the X Serve line..

    Leave a comment:


  • James Crivellone
    replied
    Originally posted by Massimo
    I would also like to know why you don't use something like a Linux based server.

    Anyways I think we all need to pitch in so we can get R3V something like this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816401219


    Then we can upload photos and videos onto R3V instead of photobucket and youtube.
    Hah, I think a sas shelf would be a nice addition to our I/O backend.

    When I first built r3v on vbulletin I wanted to attempt a high bandwidth php site on windows for numerous reasons. It primarily started as an experiment but ended up working fine for us.

    We went from 2003 Webserver to 2008 X64 when it first came out. At the time we were one of the few production sites (outside of microsoft) running PHP X64 / FastCGI / IIS7. Up until now we never had a problem, and to be honest the issue cannot solely be blamed on IIS.

    The database backend is Debian with MySQL, and while I could move the web frontend to *nix platform I am happy with the performance of IIS7. The next overhaul will put us on IIS 7.5, and 2008 R2 (versus 2008)

    Apache versus IIS is a moot point these days, both are fast as hell and perform nearly the same under load..

    Leave a comment:


  • Massimo
    replied
    ^^
    Fair enough then

    ^
    LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • toointoxicated60
    replied
    did the linux band wagon run through town?

    Leave a comment:


  • Kruzen
    replied
    Because James is a windows admin all day, plain and simple :p

    Leave a comment:


  • Massimo
    replied
    I would also like to know why you don't use something like a Linux based server.

    Anyways I think we all need to pitch in so we can get R3V something like this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816401219


    Then we can upload photos and videos onto R3V instead of photobucket and youtube.

    Leave a comment:


  • parkerbink
    replied
    Sorry it's giving you all this trouble James.

    Thanks for all you do!

    Leave a comment:

Working...