How often do you shut down your computer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Earendil
    replied
    Running OSX at home, and only ever shutdown for OS updates. So it's usually up for about 2 months.

    At work I hammer on the XP machine, and it's up for 2 weeks at a time. It really should be restarted after a week or so, but I hate closing all the open applications and trying to return my system to a working state...

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon S
    about a year ago, power supply failed so I replaced it.

    couldn't BELIEVE how chock-full of bunnies it was..

    not a fan of long run-times after that. lol

    Fixed. And I clean mine every 6 months. Compressed air is a wonderful tool.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeedler
    why would you not turn your computer off? mommy n daddy pay the electric bill?
    When power management is used (properly), booting up a powerful PC every day can consume more power than leaving it running.

    Leave a comment:


  • scabzzzz
    replied
    12:18:37: xx here....
    I only restart for patches. Otherwise, I'll just end processes and restart services to fix things restarts fix.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    about a year ago, power supply failed so I replaced it.

    couldn't BELIEVE how chuck-full of bunnies it was..

    not a fan of long run-times after that. lol

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Computer is the HTPC in the living room. Shut it down everytime we leave or go to sleep.

    I'm running a fairly powerful system with Windows 7. It boots up faster than the TV warms up, so I see no need to leave it on.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeDE
    replied
    When my battery dies and when the 'please restart to complete your updates' message gets on my nerves everytime I log on.

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    Originally posted by Holland
    I used to leave my desktop constantly running up until it crashed. Basically, because it never powered down to save, and the compilation of registry errors it developed a corrupt file in the system. Now I use my laptop and power down weekly.
    Registry changes are instantaneous, they don't all get written at shutdown.
    Originally posted by mikeedler
    why would you not turn your computer off? mommy n daddy pay the electric bill?
    Sleep mode? People seem to forget it exists...

    My laptop usually has 30+ day uptime, I must have rebooted it for an update, as it only has two weeks of uptime right now. Some of my servers are in the 180 day range right now though.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30trooper
    replied
    i just started recently shutting mine down. Im at 62 hours atm. theres been times it wasnt shut off for over a month or more..

    Leave a comment:


  • mikeedler
    replied
    why would you not turn your computer off? mommy n daddy pay the electric bill?

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    sleep mode at night
    Try to make a point to do a full shut down ~2 weeks
    Run spybot ~weekly
    Defrags ~monthly

    (nursing old system that I've hot rodded to its extent with ram/video cards/etc.)

    Leave a comment:


  • toointoxicated60
    replied
    Originally posted by TurboJake
    I would assume not, you don't use it for everyday actions, other than serving whatever it is you host on it.
    My pc is the PlayOn! And PS3 Media server, for my PS3.
    My laptop just has no excuse for not being shut off. I just never do.....
    Serves 40+ terminal service users daily among other things.


    Was going to go for 365 but sadly i have to reboot for software upgrades.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chrisv006
    replied
    I have auto on/off settings for my server/HTPC...

    Saves the power and keeps wear down.

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    I used to leave my desktop constantly running up until it crashed. Basically, because it never powered down to save, and the compilation of registry errors it developed a corrupt file in the system. Now I use my laptop and power down weekly.

    Leave a comment:


  • TurboJake
    replied
    I would assume not, you don't use it for everyday actions, other than serving whatever it is you host on it.
    My pc is the PlayOn! And PS3 Media server, for my PS3.
    My laptop just has no excuse for not being shut off. I just never do.....

    Leave a comment:

Working...