How often do you shut down your computer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    No.

    It is "bad" for your battery if you run it down to near 0% charge on a regular basis though. I'd recommend treating 20% as a minimum unless absolutely unavoidable to get maximum battery life out of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Killacortes
    replied
    Is it bad for your laptop if you never shut it down and just charge it a
    Bunch/hibernate

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    Back in the day before sleep mode worked, it could take 5-10 minutes before your computer was useable, and that's if it was fast.. so powering down made less sense.
    QFT

    My new(er) laptop has a cool feature where closing the lid puts it into a mode that is technically hibernation since once there zero power is being used, though it becomes fully usable again about three seconds after opening the lid.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    I went about 250 days on a water/peltier cooled, dual CPU Windows 2k machine back in 2001..

    but I don't really do that anymore. My work machine gets shut off every night, my HTPC gets put to sleep (it boots from sleep in like 2 seconds), and my laptop also gets put to sleep unless the battery dies.

    Back in the day before sleep mode worked, it could take 5-10 minutes before your computer was useable, and that's if it was fast.. so powering down made less sense.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dominic49
    replied
    my cr48 has only been fully shutdown 3 times since i recieved it in january, and that only when i was playing with it the first week putting it in developer mode

    xoxoxxo Chrome OS

    Leave a comment:


  • accident
    replied
    i generally reboot my laptop once a week or so.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30SPDFRK
    replied
    My task manager doesn't show run time? How would a computer illiterate person check? I'm probably on a few months now.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Be careful using compressed air on fans, since they can get spun at far higher rotational speeds than they were designed for. If you have a fan bearing that's close to going out, aiming a compressed air nozzle at it is a good way to render it useless (though that's not always a bad thing, especially if you have spares). Best practice is to immobilize the blades.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    Like I'd blow into the PSU w/out thinking much of it.
    Then it developed a condition where it'd shut down after it reached a certain temp.
    It was then that I took it out and removed cover on it.. and discovered the bunny build up.
    Shit's old - like '02 vintage Sony Vaio - jacked up on any/all available [out dated] pop-in hardware I can find ports for. Really shows it age when playing/streaming HD stuff..

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    Did you completely disassemble your PSU to find the dirt? I can see pretty well in mine, and I just blow it back out the way it came in. Otherwise only the little stuff leaves. Same goes for the radiator on top (mine's watercooled).

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
    Fixed. And I clean mine every 6 months. Compressed air is a wonderful tool.
    That was the crazy part! I religiously brought the unit out to garage twice a year to blow things out with cover off.
    I just never took the time to actually take the power supply out.. which I now know to do.. 'cause that shit was PACKED up in there..

    Leave a comment:


  • Vince30
    replied
    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
    Sleep mode? People seem to forget it exists...
    So true, sleep mode does not restart your up-time count it just pauses it.
    It takes so much to boot up a computer it is actually bad to do full shut downs every time you walk away from it. Ideal would be sleep mode when you are not on it and full shutdown about once a week.

    Leave a comment:


  • s0urce
    replied
    I go Months... Seriously, I never shut this beast off.

    Leave a comment:


  • Varinn
    replied
    I see no reason to leave mine running :S goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes, and every time I leave the house for hour+ I shut it down

    Leave a comment:


  • A_Whelan
    replied
    I have a POS 6 year old Toshiba laptop that I power down most nights. I would go buy a new PC or a laptop but I have this car that I keep sinking funds into.... fucking e30 love

    Leave a comment:

Working...