Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i get a decent camera for around $600. (total noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i get a decent camera for around $600. (total noob)

so first off i know nothing at all about cameras. just looking for something good but simple. probably getting it used on craigslist or ebay. what is out there for around $600. am i going to get what i want for that price or should i spend more? i want to be able to take pics that look like.......

and this

Comment

Point and shoot or SLR????

Here I just went though this, and here is a decent thread on it

Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-04-2011, 04:31 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

so you only want to shoot bmws in the rain? i suggest this since your going to be doing most of your shooting in wet conditions.

on a more serious note, do some research. I just googled best DSLR under $1000 and a lot came up. I have a sony a100 that i got for $300 used, and its not half bad. Craigslist always has cameras popping up. Im sure photography guys will be chiming in soon.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
        Sounds like you need a massage.
        Originally posted by kpeng
        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Buy a DSLR. Any DSLR. Start cheap, see if you like it, work your way up.

The camera is part of the equation, the bigger part is the knowledge and skill set you will develop and learn if you truly enjoy the hobby.
          Originally posted by z31maniac
          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            Point and shoot or SLR????

Here I just went though this, and here is a decent thread on it

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ghlight=Camera
            i was just reading about dslr's and point and shoots. i dont get what the difference is really? i just want to be able to take pictures like the ones i posted. like i said.... i know seriously nothing about this. point and shoot sounds simple but if its not going to give me that quality i want then i wouldn;t want it.

Comment

SLR will give you much more control and flexibility. It will let you develop a skill set. Yes there are some advanced P&S out there that will get you close and or what you are trying to do but really an SLR would be the way to go.

Buy a decent used body and 1 good lens to put in front of it and go from there

there was a guy selling a Sony Alpha 300 full kit on here a while back for 550ish and someone else has g10 pan lumix 4/3's rig for 300 something fairly recently as well

used Canon XTI400 for 200-250ish and a Canon 85mm f1.8 Prime used will put you into your target budget if you look. If not the prime the 28-135mm Zoom I use 90% of the time will bring you in under budget and let you buy a 50mm f/1.8 prime as well and get you started. I am sure the nikon guys will chime in soon enough
              Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM.
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

i'm seeing a lot of stuff about a nikon d90?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  SLR will give you much more control and flexibility. It will let you develop a skill set. Yes there are some advanced P&S out there that will get you close and or what you are trying to do but really an SLR would be the way to go.

there was a guy selling a Sony Alpha 300 full kit on here a while back for 550ish and someone else has g10 pan lumix 4/3's rig for 300 something fairly recently as well
                  i dont know how i feel about it not being digital....

Comment

I think those are both digital. Regardless, you obviously want digital.

The DSRLS for 600 dollars with a lens you can buy are limited, something in the canon rebel or nikon d40/60 or d3100/5000 area. I would buy those used and then maybe throw some money into a lens.

You want a DSLR, not a point a shoot. You also don't want to spend a lot of money (as little as possible) because you don't know how much you really will enjoy this hobby. You will realize that when you buy a DSLR it doesn't work magic, and while pictures have more detail/sharpness/contrast out of the box they are not exactly what you think of when you see "good pics" on the internet. Therefore, you should go on craigslist and buy a canon rebel/t2i or nikon d3100 or something in that range and go experiment. I would stick to Nikon or Canon for resale/used market reasons. You can't go wrong with any recent DSRL from either of those companies on CL if you get a good price.

Something like this looks perfect: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/2631426612.html

There is so much to learn on an entry DSLR that will keep you busy for a long time, plus it takes experience to learn about lenses and what you think you want. This way if you realize you don't like it a bunch you are hardly out any money (resale) or if you do like it then you can upgrade with out losing much money.

The IQ for beginning out is virtually identical on lower end DSLRs to higher end ones, so ANY DSLR (hell, probably even the new iPhone) is capable of shots like you've shown above.
                    Last edited by 87e30; 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM.
                    Originally posted by z31maniac
                    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Nikon seems to make a good intro camera. I am no expert, I have a cannon powershot, but my step mom has a low end nikon, and she is borderline retarded and she still loves it so they are apparently very user friendly.

Comment

Yes those are both Digital LOL the 4/3's is a neat tech though.

Please see my edit for tech recommendations

William Pitt-

Comment

just found this nikon d60? any good?

Comment

depending on how hard its been used yeah thats a decent deal And leaves you room to get a Nikor 50mm f /1.8 Prime You will find that you will want at least one fast glass lens as soon as you start to shoot a lot

edit: I would not pay more than 400 though as you can find the 2 crap lens kits for that on ebay.

You want the best glass you can afford period in front
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

ya i just saw a couple d60's for around $600 used.

Comment

Working...
                              X